People with just one Thai parent can now join military

Lite Beer

on the practical side, why should your family roots not let you be in the military if you are a Thai citizen?

Doesn't make sense, but that was the rule.

Why change it now?

Could be nothing important, or it could be that some influential figures in Thailand have kids who married non-Thais.

My grandfather was the colour sergeant -trooping of the colour ) my cousins are horse guards, Are not the high ranks in the UK forces From establishments rather than secondary schools ??? it's all for for for 4444 for for for boys. High ranks are for Hi So families. My uncle a warrant officer-----family connections-----all the military in the world are made up this way.---some exceptions though.

• Like 1

For Buddha's sake who wants their son to use an army or police uniform.

My boy is German/Thai and if he joins the Thai Army he will loose his citizenship.

I once went to see a Thai monk when my son was not born. I bring alone my MIL and my lassie to a monk looked and he looked on my birthdate and my lassies birthdate and he told my MIL, this boy will be gone one day overseas and will leave until his death overseas and will be very independent. He doesn't give a rat about the family except his mother. For me that was good news and I gave the monk an extra 200B.

Edited by MobileContent

seems like they are allowing this because of the continuing truoble in the south, they only say 6000 dead but make no comments on how many wounded . looks like thai conscripts do not want to good so let us see who else we can get to send down there. armys do not run well in corrupt,racist countrys. guys with the most benefits and privileges are the last guys that want to fight to maintan that way of life. good luck

So "Thainess" still rules out that my Thai son can command a Royal Thai Air force plane!

Which is very common in most countries....

In Australia as long as you are a citizen, you can join the military, fly jets in the airforce, command battle ships and even become chief of the defence force and prime minister even if your mum is Thai. Sounds like Thailand considers Luk Kings as 2nd class Thais and they can join the military but will only be foot soldiers and cannon fodder to be used down south thus not putting the lives of the real Thai's in danger.

I been here for 30+ years and got kids here, when my Thai wife told me a couple of years ago that my Thai son can not become an air force pilot because he is a look krueng I thought that she were joking. I told my son this morning that he can now join the Thai army but can not be an Air force pilot because he got a foreign father, his answer was screw them, why should I defend this country if I am not considered a real Thai.

• Like 2

This is a tremendous achievement for the regime. They really are taking Thailand out of the dark ages and into the future! See all you doubters! I told you all this and things as equally awesome as this, would start happening exponentially. I am overawed with joy it makes me feel almost.... hard.

• Like 1

So "Thainess" still rules out that my Thai son can command a Royal Thai Air force plane!

In Australia as long as you are a citizen, you can join the military, fly jets in the airforce, command battle ships and even become chief of the defence force and prime minister even if your mum is Thai. Sounds like Thailand considers Luk Kings as 2nd class Thais and they can join the military but will only be foot soldiers and cannon fodder to be used down south thus not putting the lives of the real Thai's in danger.

You aren't serious with that example, are you? If you let only original Australians fly jets they would be all aborigines, as all others just came recently. You think South Korea or Japan let a half Chinese or half North Korean fly a jet?

In Europe in the cold war no one would let a half Russian fly a jet. Now no half Iranian will fly a jet. Just they don't tell it as direct. They have just a family background check.

Getting normal soldier no problem but nothing sensitive.

But next generation OK.

And I doubt: father from Saudi Arabia, mother Australian converted to Islam, son will ever command a battle ship. They may not tell it direct, but he won't.

It is unfair, of course. Friend of mine was rejected as jet pilot for having flat feed. Everything else was excellent.....

Be positive!

Now they generously allow my son to fight in Yala or by the Cambodian border over a thai soapy.

I am greatful for the privilege.

NOT!

Just out of curiosity, how much of the enlisted force in the Thai military consists of volunteers and how much is drafted? Will boys with one Thai parent be eligible for the draft?

I assume all the officers are volunteers, but what kind of young man would volunteer to be an officer with a permanent second-class status in the Thai military?

I assume all the officers are volunteers, but what kind of young man would volunteer to be an officer with a permanent second-class status in the Thai military?

Very few, that's why they have the black/red stick lottery.

Anyone with hopes that low and no skills of any worth will choose the RTP, less work, more coin.

You aren't serious with that example, are you? If you let only original Australians fly jets they would be all aborigines, as all others just came recently. You think South Korea or Japan let a half Chinese or half North Korean fly a jet?

In Europe in the cold war no one would let a half Russian fly a jet. Now no half Iranian will fly a jet. Just they don't tell it as direct. They have just a family background check.

Getting normal soldier no problem but nothing sensitive.

But next generation OK.

And I doubt: father from Saudi Arabia, mother Australian converted to Islam, son will ever command a battle ship. They may not tell it direct, but he won't.

It is unfair, of course. Friend of mine was rejected as jet pilot for having flat feed. Everything else was excellent.....

My son was born in with long Thai heritage, but will never be considered a real Thai or have the same opportunities as his fellow Thai. My son is mixed (Aust) with aboriginal/Irish/Chinese heritage. He is considered real aboriginal because of his bloodline and considered real Australian. Thai's we never consider him in the same light as the Aboriginal community do and it shows who are actually a more developed and accepting race. My son will never be P.M of Thailand but can be P.M of Australia and the Thais will have to treat the lowlife 1/2 cast With a certain degree of respect. If a mixed thai makes good abroad then he is 100% Thai. Thailand uses mixed race citizens for thier own needs and they will always be 2nd class and never equal which is a human rights issue.

I been here for 30+ years and got kids here, when my Thai wife told me a couple of years ago that my Thai son can not become an air force pilot because he is a look krueng I thought that she were joking. I told my son this morning that he can now join the Thai army but can not be an Air force pilot because he got a foreign father, his answer was screw them, why should I defend this country if I am not considered a real Thai.

Fair comment.

Would love someone to challenge that rule as being unconstitutional. Thai is Thai. And that is that.

Edited by Thai at Heart

However, Kongcheep said the nationality rule could be stricter for officials tasked with key missions such as commanding a military aircraft.

i just love that bit.....I'll bet those that are mixed chinese decent proudly count themselves as Thai chinese, so how many generations born Thai before your a "real Thai" and can be trusted with a military aircraft ?

Paranoid much ?

PS does that mean becoming PM is realistic then ? whistling.gif

How many of the people making these decisions and commanding the military are real Thai and not mixed with Chinese? Is thier background checked for in pure thai blood.

Many of the elite and decision makers in Thailand are 2nd or 3rd generation Chinese immigrants, many Thais don't like them neither do I, honesty, generosity and accountability is something many of them are missing. The book "Letters from Thailand" makes very good reading on this subject.

How many of the people making these decisions and commanding the military are real Thai and not mixed with Chinese? Is thier background checked for in pure thai blood.

The general rule of thumb is, count the number of syllables in the family name, more syllables = less Thai.

• Like 1

The general rule of thumb is, count the number of syllables in the family name, more syllables = less Thai.

Spot on