Back-to-back tourist visa holders: Have you had any problems recently?

I'm wondering about people who've been in Thailand longterm on back-to-back tourist visas: have you had any problems lately, either with getting a new visa, entering the country from abroad, or anything else?

The background to this is that I've been in Thailand for most of the last 3+ years, first on ED visas, more recently on a series of tourist visas. In September I got a new double-entry tourist visa (in Vietnam) with no problem, but then when I flew into Don Meuang (after almost 3 weeks out of Thailand) the immigration officer told me I had too many tourist visas & couldn't keep staying in Thailand on tourist visas; eventually, they let me in. (I posted the full story here).

Yesterday I got my 30 day extension no problem, but next month I need to exit and reenter Thailand to get the second of my two entries. To this end I had booked a 6 day trip to Cambodia, flying in and out of Don Meuang, but I'm kind of nervous about how this is going to go down. That's why I'm looking to hear from other people with similar visa histories about their recent experiences.

If when I land at Dong Meuang the IO doesn't want to honor the visa, would I then be forced to buy a ticket on the spot to go back to my native country (the US)? That could be quite expensive. Or would they just stamp me in for 30 days?What happens if they refuse to accept the visa at an overland crossing -- would I be better off trying to reenter by land instead of by air?

Anyway, looking to hear others' thoughts and, especially, experiences; thanks!

There is no rule that says you cannot do multiple entries on tourist visas. They could only deny you entry if you could not provide financial proof of 20k baht to prove you are not working here illegally.

Then perhaps IOs aren't constrained by the rules? The IO I initially spoke to at DMK (when I entered the country in early Sept) asked me some questions about what I was really doing in Thailand etc, but never asked about finances. I showed her bank statements proving that I'd been making ATM withdrawals in Thailand from my U.S. account, but she didn't seem all that interested. I'm actually not sure what she was going to do, but she seemed to be saying that she was not going to honor the visa -- maybe that I couldn't come into the country? Eventually I got to speak with her superior, and he told her to stamp me in.

So has this kind of thing happened to others, or was my experience totally anomalous? That's why I'm looking to hear from other people with similar visa histories.

If when I land at Dong Meuang the IO doesn't want to honor the visa, would I then be forced to buy a ticket on the spot to go back to my native country (the US)?

In the unlikely event you are refused entry, you just need to leave ... it doesn't have to be your home country.

I asked about this on another thread a few weeks ago.

There were reports of people arriving at BKK airport and being refused entry due to their previous visa / passport history and being sent back home.

I asked if that happened couldn't you just fly to Cambodia or somewhere near by instead.

The consensus was that you couldn't and immigration was insisting people went back to their home country and this was standard procedure around the world for someone refused entry to a country.

I've no idea how true that is?

Someone even mentioned that the countries in the region have an agreement with each other (ASEAN maybe?) that if someone is refused from one country they can't then head off to another but that seems unlikely to me considering these countries can't seem to agree on anything.

I'm due back to Thailand next month after 5 months out the country. I spent a year there first on a double entry visa and then after that doing border runs for 6 months which could now come back to haunt me.

Hopefully I won't have any issues returning on a triple entry visa from the UK but I my plan if I did was just to jump on a Bangkok Airways flight to Cambodia.

I'm due back to Thailand next month after 5 months out the country. I spent a year there first on a double entry visa and then after that doing border runs for 6 months which could now come back to haunt me.

Hopefully I won't have any issues returning on a triple entry visa from the UK but I my plan if I did was just to jump on a Bangkok Airways flight to Cambodia.

There is no issue, past travel history doesn't matter.

There is no issue, past travel history doesn't matter.

In theory yes but there are plenty of topics that prove otherwise.

"I'm wondering about people who've been in Thailand longterm on back-to-back tourist visas: have you had any problems lately, either with getting a new visa, entering the country from abroad, or anything else?"

Many problems have occurred. Mostly with getting a tourist visa, but also with entering the country with one. Immigration anywhere have the right to deny anyone they want to, regardless of what visa they hold.

"If when I land at Dong Meuang the IO doesn't want to honor the visa, would I then be forced to buy a ticket on the spot to go back to my native country (the US)? That could be quite expensive. Or would they just stamp me in for 30 days?What happens if they refuse to accept the visa at an overland crossing -- would I be better off trying to reenter by land instead of by air?"

I'd suggest your chances are better if you arrive by air. Also after being out of the country for at least 3 months. And can prove you are not working.

"But this morning they didn't want to give me a tourist visa because i didn't stay out of
thailand 3 months or more."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/736205-tourist-visa-refused-in-paris/

Many problems have occurred. Mostly with getting a tourist visa, but also with entering the country with one. Immigration anywhere have the right to deny anyone they want to, regardless of what visa they hold.

Immigration does not have the right to deny "anyone they want". A valid legal reason is needed, e.g. false document, history of previous violations, person is blacklisted, suspicion of illegal activity, etc. Their decision can also be appeal, even if the process is not publicly documented.

In other words saying "even if you have a visa you can still be denied" is just scaremonging - because it simply does not happen like that..

• Like 1

Immigration does not have the right to deny "anyone they want". A valid legal reason is needed, e.g. false document, history of previous violations, person is blacklisted, suspicion of illegal activity, etc. Their decision can also be appeal, even if the process is not publicly documented.

In other words saying "even if you have a visa you can still be denied" is just scaremonging - because it simply does not happen like that..

I'm not a Thai immigration lawyer so can't speak authoritatively re the law. But how many cases do you know of that have been successfully appealed? Or bribed.

As far as the OP's case is concerned, i'd suggest your "suspicion of illegal activities" as in working in the Kingdom on a tourist visa or not paying income tax may be on their mind. Immigration have the power to be suspicious of anyone they want to & deny them entry on that basis alone.

It's true, "even if you have a visa you can still be denied". It happens & not just in Thailand. For example:

"Tourist visa holders denied entry to Thailand and left stranded in Malaysia"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742573-tourist-visa-holders-denied-entry-to-thailand-and-left-stranded-in-malaysia/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743066-scores-of-foreigners-refused-entry-to-thailand-at-malaysian-border/

I'm not a Thai immigration lawyer so can't speak authoritatively re the law. But how many cases do you know of that have been successfully appealed? Or bribed.

As far as the OP's case is concerned, i'd suggest your "suspicion of illegal activities" as in working in the Kingdom on a tourist visa or not paying income tax may be on their mind. Immigration have the power to be suspicious of anyone they want to & deny them entry on that basis alone.

It's true, "even if you have a visa you can still be denied". It happens & not just in Thailand. For example:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742573-tourist-visa-holders-denied-entry-to-thailand-and-left-stranded-in-malaysia/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/743066-scores-of-foreigners-refused-entry-to-thailand-at-malaysian-border/

The topics are months old during initial faze of the "crackdown and if you read closely most of them were entering after getting their first tourist visa after many visa exempt entries. They were also told to go to KL or Penang and fly into the country. Not the best topics to choose just to prove your point.

Also what can be done at a border crossing is much different than flying into the country.

They have to have a valid basis to deny entry. It cannot be done on a whim or the opinion of an immigration officer. The most common is not being able to show financial proof for their period of stay.

The topics are months old during initial faze of the "crackdown and if you read closely most of them were entering after getting their first tourist visa after many visa exempt entries. They were also told to go to KL or Penang and fly into the country. Not the best topics to choose just to prove your point.

Also what can be done at a border crossing is much different than flying into the country.

They have to have a valid basis to deny entry. It cannot be done on a whim or the opinion of an immigration officer. The most common is not being able to show financial proof for their period of stay.

What was the "valid basis to deny entry" to Thailand to those (referenced above) with tourist visas?

Lack of financial proof I believe but those were at a southern border crossing where they were doing many things out of the norm at the time.

According to the OP report below it had nothing to do with finances, but every foreigner with a tourist visa was to be denied entry on orders from Bangkok (headquarters):

"All of the foreigners who were denied entry had a previous history of multiple visa exempt

entries or back to back tourist visas.

"Eight of the foreigners in question held visas issued abroad, as well as from Malaysia,

namely from the Royal Thai Consulates in Penang and Kota Bahru. The countries of origin of the 8 refused foreigners include the UK, Italy, USA, Russia, Ukraine, Romania and New Zealand.

"Immigration officials at Sungai Kolok, as well as at several other border checkpoints in the

south, have been ordered by the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok to deny entry to foreigners

holding 60-days Tourist visas.

"A reporter from Thaivisa.com was present when the foreigners attempted to cross the borderand can confirm that Sungai Kolok Immigration officials were refusing entry on Sunday to all holders of Tourist visas."

Of course this happened without any warning to those travelers. The same could be repeated anywhere at any time, whether to specific individuals immigration is suspicious of, or an entire class (e.g. those with tourist visas in general) as in the above case.

Why would Bangkok issue this order? Why interogate foreigners at embassies & immigration points? To intimidate those they are suspicious of illegal activities in Thailand. Such as people spending the vast majority of their time in the country via tourist visas, 30 day entries, etc.

Lack of financial proof I believe but those were at a southern border crossing where they were doing many things out of the norm at the time.

According to the OP report below it had nothing to do with finances, but every foreigner with a tourist visa was to be denied entry on orders from Bangkok (headquarters):

Of course this happened without any warning to those travelers. The same could be repeated anywhere at any time, whether to specific individuals immigration is suspicious of, or an entire class (e.g. those with tourist visas in general) as in the above case.

Why would Bangkok issue this order? Why interogate foreigners at embassies & immigration points? To intimidate those they are suspicious of illegal activities in Thailand. Such as people spending the vast majority of their time in the country via tourist visas, 30 day entries, etc.

As you have been answered above already: the Dannok border post about which you liked has been acting irregularly since a long time. There are no frequent cases of people denied entry to Thailand and who has a visa, or doing visa exempt (as long not repeated ones) does not have any problem. Please stop spreading misinformation.

There is no rule that says you cannot do multiple entries on tourist visas. They could only deny you entry if you could not provide financial proof of 20k baht to prove you are not working here illegally.

Could you explain how having 20k baht in your pocket proves you are not working?

Could you explain how having 20k baht in your pocket proves you are not working?

Maybe for some people does and for others doesn't , but that 's not the point. it is a written, legal requirement that Immigration can enforce at their discretion.

"If when I land at Dong Meuang the IO doesn't want to honor the visa, would I then be forced to buy a ticket on the spot to go back to my native country (the US)? That could be quite expensive. Or would they just stamp me in for 30 days?" (jan2557)

Have you seen the recent news story re the Russian:

" "We checked Mariia’s information, it showed that she had frequently gone to Ranong for visa runs. This is often a sign of someone illegally working in Phuket,” Prapansak Prasansuk, chief of Immigration at the airport...."

"“They said, ‘No.’ They don’t believe me, and wanted to send me to Russia,” Ms Sgibneva said."

"The officers allegedly offered to buy her ticket for her, but Ms Sgibneva still didn’t have
enough cash to cover a ticket. She refused to return to Russia, instead opting to take the
next flight to Malaysia."

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Russian-denied-entry-Phuket-International-Airport-visa/29391

You can search the forums here for discussions of this story.

Edited by oldthaihand99

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Russian-denied-entry-Phuket-International-Airport-visa/29391

Old news from May 11th, One Russian with visa exempt and without the required cash, was suspected to be working illegally denied entry. Nothing strange really.

Stop beating this drum, you have been answered and proved wrong already.

Edited by paz

Old news from May 11th, One Russian with visa exempt and without the required cash, was suspected to be working illegally denied entry. Nothing strange really.

Stop beating this drum, you have been answered and proved wrong already.

You seem to have missed the point of my post, which was a response to this OP query:

""If when I land at Dong Meuang the IO doesn't want to honor the visa, would I then be forced to buy a ticket on the spot to go back to my native country (the US)?"

You seem to have missed the point of my post, which was a response to this OP query:

""If when I land at Dong Meuang the IO doesn't want to honor the visa, would I then be forced to buy a ticket on the spot to go back to my native country (the US)?"

Had you used the words "not necessarily" it would have been more clear.

• 1 month later...

Well, please let us know what happens... for future reference.

Just reentered at DMK on the second entry of my double-entry tourist visa -- no problems, the IO didn't say anything to me at all, just stamped me in. What a (pleasant) contrast with 3 months ago!! smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png