Retirement visa affidavit from US consulate no longer valid?

Nope not yet . It sounds like i might be on hold or being consider for my visa. The above poster stated that they were doing this in phitsanulok. Im thinking i have the same stamp as the above poster. I did ask my wife what they said. She thinks i need to go back next week. She'be back soon ill let you know.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thank you all for your advice. I will go ahead with getting the affidavit from the US consulate, then do the extension myself and see if the affidavit alone is acceptable.

Anyone who has additional information please contact me.

remember you are making asworn statement you have the money coming in monthly on your statement if you are making a false claim you are breaking US law.

Quick question for US citizen applying for retirement extension (for a friend, not me, and yes, actually for a friend - an elderly gentlemen who is applying the first time and seems a bit confused??)

He's American.

What does he currently need?

Just the letter from the US embassy

2 photos

Copy of passport

Anything else? He seemed to think he might need paperwork saying no criminal record?

And, as far as cost goes?? I've always heard 1,900 baht but, when I checked the Thai Consulate website in the US it's showing $200, which is equivalent of over 6,000 baht.

Can anyone clarify current cost? And, like I said, he IS applying for retirement extension for first time - not sure if that makes any difference, as I've never applied for one.

Any help on absolute particulars needed (as much as can be absolute with Thai immigration) before I send him off to Chang Wattana next week would be gratefully received.

Quick question for US citizen applying for retirement extension (for a friend, not me, and yes, actually for a friend - an elderly gentlemen who is applying the first time and seems a bit confused??)

He's American.

2 photos

Copy of passport

Anything else? He seemed to think he might need paperwork saying no criminal record?

And, as far as cost goes?? I've always heard 1,900 baht but, when I checked the Thai Consulate website in the US it's showing $200, which is equivalent of over 6,000 baht.

Can anyone clarify current cost? And, like I said, he IS applying for retirement extension for first time - not sure if that makes any difference, as I've never applied for one.

Any help on absolute particulars needed (as much as can be absolute with Thai immigration) before I send him off to Chang Wattana next week would be gratefully received.

What kind of visa and entry does have now? If he does not have a non immigrant (non-o) visa entry he will have to apply for that that first.

If needs the visa he will need two income affidavits from the embassy. One for the visa application and another for the extension of stay. The fee is 2000 for a non immigrant visa.

The fee for the extension of stay is 1900 baht.

A medical certificate is not required for an extension of stay.

All he will need for the visa and extension applications is copies of his passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay stamp, TM6 departure card and original income affidavit,

The $200 is for a OA visa application at the consulate. All extensions if stay cost 1900 baht at immigration.

He's American.

2 photos

Copy of passport

What kind of visa and entry does have now? If he does not have a non immigrant (non-o) visa entry he will have to apply for that that first.

If needs the visa he will need two income affidavits from the embassy. One for the visa application and another for the extension of stay. The fee is 2000 for a non immigrant visa.

All he will need for the visa and extension applications is copies of his passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay stamp, TM6 departure card and original income affidavit,

The $200 is for a OA visa application at the consulate. All extensions if stay cost 1900 baht at immigration.

Tourist visa with about 45 days left on it.

Just spoke to someone else who just got his last month with a tourist visa. Direct change to a non-o at immigration with just one letter? Said definitely did not need two letters???

And sorry, forgot to say thanks :) Just trying to be very sure about this, as I don't want to send him back to the US embassy for a second letter (and another 50 bucks spent) if he doesn't need one.

Edited by JordanJames

Just did the retirement extension 2 days ago. They wanted plenty of proof (which I had). I provided bank statements from the usa that showed how much I was withdrawing at the atm each month (I had six months worth). Also showed him my military retirement id card. They wanted the affidavit (had that too)...but that would not be enough, by itself. My problem was that i did not have a copy of the id card for the owner of the house I rented. We were going to have her come in, but they later said..."no problem".

Even when I got my 90 day non immigrant O....they wanted more proof...not just the affidavit.

Although you must have the affidavit...now it seems there is no way anyone is going to get approved...by that alone. Not where I went.

This is in contrast to what I have been told, by many people. a year or two back... So it is more difficult.

Edited by slipperylobster

Just did the retirement extension days ago. They wanted plenty of proof (which I had). I provided bank statements from the usa that showed how much I was withdrawing at the atm each month (I had six months worth). Also showed him my military retirement id card. They wanted the affidavit (had that too)...but that would not be enough, by itself. My problems was that i did not have a copy of the id card for the owner of the house I rented. We were going to have her come in, but they later said..."no problem".

In Bangkok? because that's NOT what I'm hearing from anyone who had this done in Bangkok. (Remember, every immigration office in Thailand is different - Bangkok usually goes by the book)

Nothing more needed than affidavit from US embassy, according to friend who did it last month (about 3 weeks ago).

And I've never heard of anyone being asked for a copy of the ID card for the house they're renting. Not in Bangkok. So, I'm guessing you're not in Bangkok?

Edited by JordanJames

Just did the retirement extension days ago. They wanted plenty of proof (which I had). I provided bank statements from the usa that showed how much I was withdrawing at the atm each month (I had six months worth). Also showed him my military retirement id card. They wanted the affidavit (had that too)...but that would not be enough, by itself. My problems was that i did not have a copy of the id card for the owner of the house I rented. We were going to have her come in, but they later said..."no problem".

In Bangkok? because that's NOT what I'm hearing from anyone who had this done in Bangkok. (Remember, every immigration office in Thailand is different - Bangkok usually goes by the book)

Nothing more needed than affidavit from US embassy, according to friend who did it last month (about 3 weeks ago).

And I've never heard of anyone being asked for a copy of the ID card for the house they're renting. Not in Bangkok. So, I'm guessing you're not in Bangkok?

It was Udon. And it is not policy. It is just done case by case. In my case, possibly they required a bit more. Possibly because of 4 years of tourist visas and such.

Also....some people may find some "fishing around for possible issues that would be normally overlooked). They can, and will, ask for anything they want...over and above written rules, if they have doubts. They had doubts about my residence...obviously.

Perhaps easy going in Bangkok for everyone else? I am curious to that.

He's American.

2 photos

Copy of passport

Just spoke to someone else who just got his last month with a tourist visa. Direct change to a non-o at immigration with just one letter? Said definitely did not need two letters???

And sorry, forgot to say thanks smile.png Just trying to be very sure about this, as I don't want to send him back to the US embassy for a second letter (and another 50 bucks spent) if he doesn't need one.

All that person got was the first step of getting the "non-o" visa. He still needs to do the 2nd step which is getting the extension of stay which will require another income affidavit.

He can do the change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at any time now up to the last 15 days of his entry. He will need to complete TM86 form and attach a 4cm X 6cm photo to it and have the passport copies I mentioned before.

Then after 45 days or more he can apply for the extension stay.

He's American.

2 photos

Copy of passport

And sorry, forgot to say thanks smile.png Just trying to be very sure about this, as I don't want to send him back to the US embassy for a second letter (and another 50 bucks spent) if he doesn't need one.

All that person got was the first step of getting the "non-o" visa. He still needs to do the 2nd step which is getting the extension of stay which will require another income affidavit.

He can do the change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at any time now up to the last 15 days of his entry. He will need to complete TM86 form and attach a 4cm X 6cm photo to it and have the passport copies I mentioned before.

I was told I could not apply for the retirement extension until 30 days prior to my 90 day non O expiration...not 45.

Also....needed only one affidavit of support. They looked at it (and took a copy) in Savannakhet..for the 90 day O. The orginal was retained by me and turned in to Udon Immigration two days ago. No need for two. Needed plenty of extra proof. (income)

I was told I could not apply for the retirement extension until 30 days prior to my 90 day non O expiration...not 45.

Also....needed only one affidavit of support. They looked at it (and took a copy) in Savannakhet..for the 90 day O. The orginal was retained by me and turned in to Udon Immigration two days ago. No need for two. Needed plenty of extra proof. (income)

I wrote about getting the non immigrant visa (non-o) at Chaeng Wattana immigration they will only accept the original income affidavit.

Also at Chaeng Wattana they will do the extension as much as 45 day early. And again he will need an original income affidavit.

• Like 1

It was Udon. And it is not policy. It is just done case by case. In my case, possibly they required a bit more. Possibly because of 4 years of tourist visas and such.

Also....some people may find some "fishing around for possible issues that would be normally overlooked). They can, and will, ask for anything they want...over and above written rules, if they have doubts. They had doubts about my residence...obviously.

Perhaps easy going in Bangkok for everyone else? I am curious to that.

Ah, that makes sense then. Thanks for clarifying.

As far as I know he does have income back up stuff, so should probably tell him to take it just in case. Thanks!

And yes, Bangkok always seems 'easier going' in that they usually go by the 'letter of the law', unless anything looks fishy, at least in my 13 years experience with them (never had a problem or been asked for extra paperwork and don't know anyone without other issues who has).

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Retirement Visa application questions,

Can I submit the retirement visa application or change of my current visa to retirement visa application, At Phuket town immigration or do i need do from outside of Thailand?

Can I get a 1 year multy entry retirement visa if,?

I am over 50,

Submit an income affidavit from my embassy truthfully stating, I Receive monthly payments over 100,00 bht per month, (not a pension) I earn it none of it from Thailand.

I can show Thai immigration my monthly pay stubbs and yearly payment report as proof of income from out of Thailand.

Do I need to show a 65K deposit history per month in a THAI bank?

is a Thai residency cert required ?

Thanks for your replys

Edited by glassdude007

From Phuket town immigration or do i need do from outside of Thailand?t

I am over 50,

Submit an income affidavit from my embassy truthfully stating, I Receive monthly payments over 100,00 bht per month, (not a pension) I earn it none of it from Thailand.

I can show Thai immigration my monthly pay stubbs and yearly payment report as proof of income from out of Thailand.

Thanks for your replys

You can ot get multiple entry visa at any immigration office. You only get those at an embassy.

You can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement and get a multiple re-entry permit.

In order to get an extension of stay at immigration you will need a non immigrant visa (non-o) visa entry. Phuket can no longer do conversions to them. You have to go to Hat Yai or Bangkok to do it and would require two trips to get it done.

It would be best to make a trip to Penang for a single entry non-o visa.

Phuket will ask for bank statements or other proof along with a copy of a credit card or ATM/debit card when you apply for an extension of stay as back up to an affidavit.

• Like 1

He's American.

2 photos

Copy of passport

Just checked with him.

No, he definitely has his extension of stay. He applied for it the same day he applied for and got the non-o and had it stamped into his passport a week ago. Said did not require a second letter. They used a copy of the letter for the non-o visa, and then the original for the extension based on retirement. Told him his next step is just the 90 day reporting.

From Phuket town immigration or do i need do from outside of Thailand?t

I am over 50,

Thanks for your replys

You can ot get multiple entry visa at any immigration office. You only get those at an embassy.

You can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement and get a multiple re-entry permit.

In order to get an extension of stay at immigration you will need a non immigrant visa (non-o) visa entry. Phuket can no longer do conversions to them. You have to go to Hat Yai or Bangkok to do it and would require two trips to get it done.

It would be best to make a trip to Penang for a single entry non-o visa.

Phuket will ask for bank statements or other proof along with a copy of a credit card or ATM/debit card when you apply for an extension of stay as back up to an affidavit.

Thanks for that Joe..most informative,