Is min. wage really 300 THB / day?

willyumiii

The rate varies depending on location too. It's not just one rate country wide.

There is also the supplemental incomes to augment their finances by moving and trafficking in the contraband Yaba which seems to totally permeate Thai society regardless of where on the map.w00t.gifsick.gif.pagespeed.ce.7UlLjh9UKR.gifcrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gifwacko.png.pagespeed.ce.jGW10VtQsI.png

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load of nonsense being printed here.

It is nationwide, and it is a minimum of 300 a day, irrespective of it being a monthly calculation or not.

Settle princess. I made a mistake, I know it's rare :P. It use to be different rates in different zones, now it's nationwide, I was only out by 18 months & I will adjust your pay accordingly, promise !

I can't believe how sensitive op and some others are.

First of all the $6000 au was way under what a lot of people make. Hells bells I pay my painters $45 plus plus and hour. Plumbers and sparks more. 6k a month is only 72 k a year net.

I am retired, that makes big difference. My first gf was an office manager 6 days a week for 25k baht.

I give my gf a salary per week. And pay for everything.

We are off shortly to koh shamed...do I want her working at pantip market for thin air. So the op would have his wife work for what $180aud a month. Hells bells

You sir, are full of shit. You think 72k is medium or below medium? Facts my friend, facts. The rough median income of Australia is about 32,000, less than half of what you think the 'median' income is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_household_income

Facts to support the claim. Now, I make about $100,000 USD a year as a network engineer but I don't flaunt it. I grew up on welfare and know the value of money and working hard. You seem disconnected from reality if you think everyone is walking around raking in 5+k each month.

From the official AU government website.

"The average individual wage in Australia in November 2013 was $57,980 before tax. The average full-time wage is $74,724 before tax."

At the above income level, if you have a family, is AU government Middle Class welfare.

The poster who mentioned GF/wife could earn 600 baht an hour in AU would be illegal cash in hand work and would be well below minimum wage in Australia. The minimum hourly rate currently about A$16.30 an hour for unskilled non union worker.

Edited by simple1

I have to say though viewers if it was the other way round I am a farang and I would work for 300 baht a day! 9,000 baht a month is more than enough to live in Thailand! Where I live is mostly all Thais all on 300 baht a day and all have motorbikes ( for me I see them as a waste of money when walking/bicycle is much better for you! I would even consider working in a rice field for 250 baht a day ( free food & water) and outside in the gorgeous sun all day!

What BS. You'd "consider" working in rice field ... but will never do it. As to motorcycles vs. walking/bicycle goes ... ever tried walking/bicycling 20km ... or more?

What a load of nonsense being printed here.

It is nationwide, and it is a minimum of 300 a day, irrespective of it being a monthly calculation or not.

Officially yes.

In practice No.

Many of the workers in my area of Issan are paid B250 a day as a going rate. Some shop assistants and cleaners are still working for B200 a day.

Thailand’s employers must pay all employees at least 300 baht (about $10) a day. If they don’t, they will face six months in jail and/or a 100,000 baht fine for not complying. The 300-baht

http://asiafoundation.org/in-asia/2013/01/30/thailand-adopts-nationwide-minimum-wage-policy-amid-controversy/

Yes and always wear a helmet,gambling,corruption,double pricing etc,.also may put you in jail and/or fine.

This might sound rude but I can't understand how expats here esp if they are retired can have their wife/gf working for that sort of money per day.

Means you can't go and travel etc etc.

My gf doesn't work for that very reason. If we were in AU sure she could work and get at least 600/hour.

I could go home for a month and make 180000bath.

How could I have her work in Thailand

That's an impressive number of baths to make in a month

That's only 6,300 AUD or $5500 USD per month . Or did I read that wrong?

This might sound rude but I can't understand how expats here esp if they are retired can have their wife/gf working for that sort of money per day.

My gf doesn't work for that very reason. If we were in AU sure she could work and get at least 600/hour.

While I agree with some points, I defer to the choices made by others since it's their life and not mine. Trying to understand things that I am not involved in detracts from my enjoyment of life.

Live and Let Live

Yes it's 300 per day and everywhere in Thailand as per what Estrada posted.0

5000 baht per month for a full time job in a school sounds crazy to me. Teachers make easily 30-40k so I don't understand why your wife was offered such a low salary.

She would not be teaching. She would be assisting a kindergarten teacher in the class room.

Helping maintain order in the classroom, keeping the kids clean.

I agree that the salary is low, but it is not a teaching salary.

BTW, Teachers here in this part of Isaan make 20- 30k,

Location has a lot to do with it!

Those would be experienced teachers, likely with Master's degrees. New teachers at gov schools with a Bachelor's degree make around 9K/month, in BKK.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Gov schools have a very laid back environment. If your girl just wants to stay busy and contribute to the community, she'll have a good time.

Yes, I know a teacher with a Master's in S. Isaan who makes 30K.

My wife is a full time teacher of the Thai language; holds a masters' degree and is graded 8 on a scale of 9. She receives 50,000 baht a month, works at least ten hours a day, 5 days a week, and is required to mark other teachers, who sit exams when seeking a higher grade.

She works in Udon Thani and travels to other schools in and around this city to test students and, when required, has failing students re-sit exams of a weekend. She also works long hours at home preparing the students' examination papers and again, marking them. Owing to her level of expertise she is also contacted by teachers at all hours over the weekends seeking her help and knowledge in the field that they teach. In addition, every year students are taken on a number of field trips, the food and trip being paid for by the teachers.

In so far as staff being hired and paid 5000 baht a month, it depends on their classification, a number of which are not covered under the minimum wage. She is certainly not being offered a teaching position. My wife's school hires cleaners; they are not government employees per say, they are hired by the school, not the education department and because the school has to fund much of its operating costs, it might explain the low wage. I cannot say if this is applicable across the board but because it is a government school one might assume it is.

Another example of this school having to fund it's operations is their seeking a substantial loan from an overseas investor to construct new classrooms, offices and toilets, funds that they were unable to get through the education system. They also had a new meeting hall constructed and sought funds from the farang husbands of teachers and well off heads of the villages so they could install air conditioning.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have to say though viewers if it was the other way round I am a farang and I would work for 300 baht a day! 9,000 baht a month is more than enough to live in Thailand! Where I live is mostly all Thais all on 300 baht a day and all have motorbikes ( for me I see them as a waste of money when walking/bicycle is much better for you! I would even consider working in a rice field for 250 baht a day ( free food & water) and outside in the gorgeous sun all day!

What BS. You'd "consider" working in rice field ... but will never do it. As to motorcycles vs. walking/bicycle goes ... ever tried walking/bicycling 20km ... or more?

I actually walk 15 km every day! i love walking in the morning sun ! For me it's normal to walk because i enjoy it and it's so much better for you! ( i could use a baht bus but then that would seem being " Lazy " to me!

• Like 2

It used to be BUT now it is a nationwide rate.. it is a day rate though .. monthly salary is classified differently!

And schools come under a different set of rules .. although 5,000 sounds low, 8k would seem more appropriate!

Correct - it is 300 Baht per day nationwide.

Workers on monthly salary are paid for 30 days.

First of all the $6000 au was way under what a lot of people make. Hells bells I pay my painters $45 plus plus and hour. Plumbers and sparks more. 6k a month is only 72 k a year net.

I am retired, that makes big difference. My first gf was an office manager 6 days a week for 25k baht.

We are off shortly to koh shamed...do I want her working at pantip market for thin air. So the op would have his wife work for what $180aud a month. Hells bells

You sir, are full of shit. You think 72k is medium or below medium? Facts my friend, facts. The rough median income of Australia is about 32,000, less than half of what you think the 'median' income is.

Facts to support the claim. Now, I make about $100,000 USD a year as a network engineer but I don't flaunt it. I grew up on welfare and know the value of money and working hard. You seem disconnected from reality if you think everyone is walking around raking in 5+k each month.

"The average individual wage in Australia in November 2013 was $57,980 before tax. The average full-time wage is $74,724 before tax."

At the above income level, if you have a family, is AU government Middle Class welfare.

The poster who mentioned GF/wife could earn 600 baht an hour in AU would be illegal cash in hand work and would be well below minimum wage in Australia. The minimum hourly rate currently about A$16.30 an hour for unskilled non union worker.

I agree with you on the statistics quoted but have to disagree with you on another. If his g/f was to receive the average of 600 baht in Australia, at the current exchange rate, it equates to around $21.43 per hour, which is substantially higher then the minimum rate you quoted. Hardly illegal cash in hand. If we are to quote aspects as factual then one has to clarify what age and position those being paid the amounts quoted are working in.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I actually walk 15 km every day! i love walking in the morning sun ! For me it's normal to walk because i enjoy it and it's so much better for you! ( i could use a baht bus but then that would seem being " Lazy " to me!

Baht buses are out of your budget more like.

I think a lot of our viewers are " absolutely clueless " ( kind respect where due ) to the real prices and the real cost of living in Thailand! If you are a single Thai living on your own then a normal 300 baht a day wage is great and more than enough to live on and enjoy life! All over Thailand you can get rooms from 1,000 baht a month ( mine is 2000 baht a month) and houses in the countryside from 2,000 to 3,500 a month in Chiang Mai. These are real and accurate rental prices! I am non materialistic and do mot need the " fancy " or " ponsy " things in life - just the basics are enough for me! But many farang come to Thailand bringing with them there " farang lifestyle " and have no idea about the real cost of living here in Thailand. a 300 baht a day wage would bring me in a cool 9,000 baht a month ( if you live as a Thai and eat Thai food then 100 baht a day is enough for food etc every day! )

Farang Jaidee - " Living The Dream "......wub.png

• Like 1

Baht buses are out of your budget more like.

Mr Toad

Actually i love walking it opens up a whole new world.You see things that you won't see on a motorbike or baht bus.Great and the only way to explore and of course " random socializing " with whoever takes your fancy " en route " Unfortunately there are some very lazy people in the world who never walk which is a great shame because it's fabulous exercise!!!!

• Like 2

Just what Australia needs, more immigrants taking jobs off them.

Since 1 January 2013 the minimum wage is 300 Baht all over the country. Before that there where differences per province.

The minimum wage is only applicable for Thai nationals.

Thanks.

The new minimum wage applies to every employee in Thailand, regardless of age, sex, industry, or nationality.

Cambodia, where the daily minimum wage is $2.03 and Burma where the daily minimum wage is 58 cents,

http://asiafoundation.org/in-asia/2013/01/30/thailand-adopts-nationwide-minimum-wage-policy-amid-controversy/

Thai labor law also requires housing for migrants and social security and medical benefits. This applies to legal migrant workers with work permit.

The discrimination by nationality must be interpreted and enforced flexible by the authorities given the enormous influx of workers from surrounding countries since the minimum wage increase. I see quite some uneducated Thais having severe competition on the job market from workers from Myanmar, Cambodia, etc. who work for lower wages.

• Like 1

Is the law the same for part time workers ? As the law is based on 48 hours per week.

Businesses have been finding ways to get around the law anyway they can since it came in.

Schools have always been a pocket lining exercise, just look at teachers and teflers salaries and then junking them for cheaper Phillipinos.

Many are willing to work for less....perhaps "under the table". It is unreported, and thus, unmonitored. Not only do many Thais work like that, but many Thai Yai's, Burmese, Laotian, Cambodian and Vietnamese.

Not really a shocking revelation, for me, as many Mexicans in my home country (USA), and many teens work "under the table" for less than minimum wage.

If it can be done there, it definitely can be done here.

Edited by slipperylobster

Yes it's 300 per day and everywhere in Thailand as per what Estrada posted.

5000 baht per month for a full time job in a school sounds crazy to me. Teachers make easily 30-40k so I don't understand why your wife was offered such a low salary.

She could sell coconuts on a street corner, in the back of your pickup....for twice that amount of income.

I cannot even get someone to cut the grass around the house for B300 a day here in Isaan. That's the sort of money they expect for only 3-4 hours work (including siesta).

" Cut the grass around the house " absolute bloody laziness !! LOL Get yourself a " Flymo " and enjoy the wonderful sunshine and smell of freshly cut grass!

F.J x

• Like 1

I agree with you on the statistics quoted but have to disagree with you on another. If his g/f was to receive the average of 600 baht in Australia, at the current exchange rate, it equates to around $21.43 per hour, which is substantially higher then the minimum rate you quoted. Hardly illegal cash in hand. If we are to quote aspects as factual then one has to clarify what age and position those being paid the amounts quoted are working in.

Yep, my wrong, was thinking 300 baht, not 600 baht

I think a lot of our viewers are " absolutely clueless " ( kind respect where due ) to the real prices and the real cost of living in Thailand! If you are a single Thai living on your own then a normal 300 baht a day wage is great and more than enough to live on and enjoy life! All over Thailand you can get rooms from 1,000 baht a month ( mine is 2000 baht a month) and houses in the countryside from 2,000 to 3,500 a month in Chiang Mai. These are real and accurate rental prices! I am non materialistic and do mot need the " fancy " or " ponsy " things in life - just the basics are enough for me! But many farang come to Thailand bringing with them there " farang lifestyle " and have no idea about the real cost of living here in Thailand. a 300 baht a day wage would bring me in a cool 9,000 baht a month ( if you live as a Thai and eat Thai food then 100 baht a day is enough for food etc every day! )

Farang Jaidee - " Living The Dream "......wub.png

Although I respect your life choices, and to each their own/live and let live and all that, I think you are a bit clueless if you think that

the average Thai mindset is that "a normal 300 baht a day wage is great and more than enough to live on and enjoy life!".

Thais do not live on 300 baht a day or less because they love it, they do it because they HAVE TO.

Most Thais, not unlike anybody else, would love to have more and also get a bit more of that "farang lifestyle".

Sorry, but, I think the sun gets in your eyes too much while you walk everywhere.

Most Thais would love to switch from that 1,000 baht p/m rent "room" to a nice house with garden and eat nice meals instead of

street fast food take-away everyday.

And since you mention 'lazy': yeah, if one loves to get by with only a few hundred baht per day for food and drink and spend most of the time

hanging around and can do that (as a lot of people do in this country), then yes, one can enjoy life. I will give you that.

In any case, I'm happy for you that you enjoy your life, cos that's what it's all about.

I'm not a materialistic person, but I don't want to live in a 1,000 baht a month room in a ghetto.

Note that I am in Bangkok. And, my rent is below 8K a month.

• Like 2

It is 300Baht per day according to the law.

Except for Cambodians, Burmese, Laotians, farang teachers, Digital nomads and some others.

I think they get a little less.whistling.gif

True i have said this in the past, My Thai Mother in Law works in a Hospital, Burmese and Cambodians come for medical checks, before starting work in The local factory's,

some are on as little as 250 baht a day, They have to give a cut to the Gang masters.

Except for Cambodians, Burmese, Laotians, farang teachers, Digital nomads and some others.

True i have said this in the past, My Thai Mother in Law works in a Hospital, Burmese and Cambodians come for medical checks, before starting work in The local factory's,

some are on as little as 250 baht a day, They have to give a cut to the Gang masters.

I believe the gang masters provide room and board. You might check with mom where they live.

I believe the gang masters provide room and board. You might check with mom where they live.

I dont have to i live near them some times. In Sahmut Sahkon, and i talk with them, obviously you speak to them too, as you know about what they get payed and how.

Edited by Thongkorn