Best way for Thai to get dollars for USA visit?

I have a friend who is about to visit the USA alone. I was wondering what is the best way for them to change their THB in to USD? THey have a TMB ATM card and it looks to be 75/thb per use but I can't find what the % they charge for conversion. Anyone know of the very best place to change THB to USD? I know the banks are usually not a good options.

Thanks.

I expect for the TMB "debit" card the Bt75 fee will be the total foreign transaction fee and they will get the Visa/Mastercard full exchange rate. And of course the local ATM fee might charge a fee like how Thai ATMs charge a foreign card fee of Bt150-180. If the ATM offers a DCC transaction be sure to say No and continue on.

Now if it was a TMB "credit card" it would probably incur approx a 2.5% foreign transaction fee for a withdrawal or purchase...and for an ATM withdrawal that would be treated like a cash advance incurring an additional 3% cash advance fee. Of yea, and don't forget any local ATM fee.

Edited by Pib

I expect for the TMB "debit" card the Bt75 fee will be the total foreign transaction fee and they will get the Visa/Mastercard full exchange rate. And of course the local ATM fee might charge a fee like how Thai ATMs charge a foreign card fee of Bt150-180. If the ATM offers a DCC transaction be sure to say No and continue on.

Now if it was a TMB "credit card" it would probably incur approx a 2.5% foreign transaction fee for a withdrawal or purchase...and for an ATM withdrawal that would be treated like a cash advance incurring an additional 3% cash advance fee. Of yea, and don't forget any local ATM fee.

Ahh I forgot about the fees on the US side, I've been so spoiled by our refund cards that it slipped my mind. Guess the ATM card idea is out.

The ATM's at Suvarnabumi Airport (Airside of immigration) give out US$...

I'm not sure whether the exchange rates match the banks, however, given that the ATM's are SCB I suspect the rates are the same.

But, as you mentioned you are looking for alternatives to the banks it could be worth trying some of the SuperRich exchange booths to see if they sell US$.

The ATM's at Suvarnabumi Airport (Airside of immigration) give out US$...

I'm not sure whether the exchange rates match the banks, however, given that the ATM's are SCB I suspect the rates are the same.

But, as you mentioned you are looking for alternatives to the banks it could be worth trying some of the SuperRich exchange booths to see if they sell US$.

of course super rich and vasu sell USD.

i would simply use a debit card in the US as i go, the days of travelling with large amounts of required cash or travelers cheques ended at least a decade ago.

I travel to the US and canada with a city bank thai credit card, a bkk bank b first debit card and a kassikorn debit card. never had any of them fail.

whistling.gif Depends on what you mean by "best way".

The easiest way I think, is what I do when I need cash for a USA trip.

I take my Thai bank bankbook and (in my case) my passport with me.

Then I buy my dollars at the bank Foreign Exchange Desk with a cash withdrawal in baht from my Thai bank account, and use that Baht to purchase Dollars at the foreign exchange desk.

All done in one simple process, the bank is happy because they make a small profit on each dollar they sell me on the rate.

For you, as a Thai, just make sure you have your bankbook and your Thai I.D. card for identification.

You can also legally get Dollars at the airport for Thai Baht ...... travelers of all nationalities do it all the time, as U.S. dollars are often much easier to change than Thai baht .... even in neighboring countries.

In fact, the 3 best currencies to have during international travel are:

• U,S, dollars
  • U.K. Pounds
  • or EU Euro

As they can usually be converted to local currency anywhere in the world.

When I say best, I mean the best possible exchange rate. It sounds her best route is to just find a good exchange rate here in TH. The ATM fees will eat her alive. In the US we are lucky to have access to cards that don't have any fees, refund other fees, and eat the 1% visa charge. Other countries aren't so lucky.