Thailand Haltingly Moves Toward Stability and Democracy

Lite Beer

Good job. Democracy is a scam. Well done Thailand!

I'm supporting the new systems of government that are currently emerging.

Most of the old school/old guard (many here) will not understand that this is happening nor will they believe it's possible.

Nevertheless, it is and it will represent a new reality in a new world for many of us...

The rest will continue trundling along on the old well-worn path of bs and corruption.

• Like 1

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reply to Robby NZ...

I know what has been happening, BUT I also know that very little has changed.. yes, there have been numerous investigations, most simply fade away, my point is, and you seem to fail understanding it is that so far little has changed, everyday we still see corruption, we still see the RTP taking "tea" money, happened to my wife only last week, we still see jetski scams on Patong beach, we still see cops siding with scammers, do I need to go on. How many charges/convictions have we seen with the rice scams...very little...how many military officers investigated, how many high level RTP investigated.... you really need to open you eyes, and mind, to the truth, not believe what the junta wants you to believe. I truly hope things do change, in a positive direction, for ALL Thais, but so far...nope, all talk. Thailand needs to mature and get over this coup will fix the problems mentality... The military has been in control, since 1932, longer, close to 50% of the time, than any single political party... and look at Thailand's political system.... fail fail fail. The coups have never succeeded and so far neither has this one.

Since 1932, Nelly Dean ??? omg NOT yet after 5 months tell us in 3 years, yes give him 3 years and see if there are any improvements ?? If not I will be ante coup.

Are you serious? You would support a military junta without elections for 3 years. Sweet jeezus. You should be in Nth Korea.

"...and Morsi in Egypt? Remember how they ruled and then were toppled in popular uprisings against corruption and one-party rule?"

Funny you should mention him. Morsi was elected by a vast majority of the voting population, and was removed by a military coup. Sound Familiar? The authors shameless revising of such recent history discounts the rest of whatever drivel he was spewing. I did read it, but only for the entertainment value. Like reading the comics. The author has no clue.

• Like 1

"i am well aware of rebublicans attempts to limit voters" how are you aware of this factoid? "

Well, I can't speak for how the OP became aware of it, but I became aware of that fact, when Pennsylvania House Majority Leader Mike Turzai (R ) admitted as much in a speech to the "... Republican State Committee meeting..." back in 2012.

Jackass.

Edited by Thaimaishoe

Good job. Democracy is a scam. Well done Thailand!

I'm supporting the new systems of government that are currently emerging.

Most of the old school/old guard (many here) will not understand that this is happening nor will they believe it's possible.

Nevertheless, it is and it will represent a new reality in a new world for many of us...

The rest will continue trundling along on the old well-worn path of bs and corruption.

"Old guard"... Hmm, just who do you think the new administration works for, inspector Clouseau? Edited by maxme
  • Like 1

Reply to Robby NZ...

I know what has been happening, BUT I also know that very little has changed.. yes, there have been numerous investigations, most simply fade away, my point is, and you seem to fail understanding it is that so far little has changed, everyday we still see corruption, we still see the RTP taking "tea" money, happened to my wife only last week, we still see jetski scams on Patong beach, we still see cops siding with scammers, do I need to go on. How many charges/convictions have we seen with the rice scams...very little...how many military officers investigated, how many high level RTP investigated.... you really need to open you eyes, and mind, to the truth, not believe what the junta wants you to believe. I truly hope things do change, in a positive direction, for ALL Thais, but so far...nope, all talk. Thailand needs to mature and get over this coup will fix the problems mentality... The military has been in control, since 1932, longer, close to 50% of the time, than any single political party... and look at Thailand's political system.... fail fail fail. The coups have never succeeded and so far neither has this one.

You are one very unsatisfied poster, wanting so much done in so short a time.

You might like to compare what has been achieved so far with what the previous administration managed in their almost 3 years.

There was the great show on stage where they all laughed under the anti corruption banner.

Then the next step in the campaign was to cut the budgets of the NACC, OAG and PSACC (Public Service anti-corruption commission).

Although cutting the budget of the PSACC wouldn't have made much difference as they were judged the most corrupt Govt entity of 2012.

When you look at those budget cuts in the light of the amnesty bill which as well as absolving all the political crimes of the past several years would have made redundant investigations into over 25,000 cases of corruption already before the NACC, the budget cuts made a lot of sense

It would have made all the anti-corruption agencies themselves redundant as there would have been nothing left for them to investigate therefor no need for budgets.

Now wasn't that a novel way to tackle corruption, give all past corruption amnesty then they could say there was no corruption.

That of course would have included all the things that are now being investigated, rice scheme, futsal courts, tablets, Tarit and the many others that you have missed.

As the amnesty bill is no more the budgets have now been raised again, another blow against corruption by guess who ?

Robby nz, on 26 Oct 2014 - 22:47, said:
MediaWatcher, on 26 Oct 2014 - 19:20, said:

Reply to Robby NZ...

You are one very unsatisfied poster, wanting so much done in so short a time.

You might like to compare what has been achieved so far with what the previous administration managed in their almost 3 years.

There was the great show on stage where they all laughed under the anti corruption banner.

Then the next step in the campaign was to cut the budgets of the NACC, OAG and PSACC (Public Service anti-corruption commission).

Although cutting the budget of the PSACC wouldn't have made much difference as they were judged the most corrupt Govt entity of 2012.

When you look at those budget cuts in the light of the amnesty bill which as well as absolving all the political crimes of the past several years would have made redundant investigations into over 25,000 cases of corruption already before the NACC, the budget cuts made a lot of sense

It would have made all the anti-corruption agencies themselves redundant as there would have been nothing left for them to investigate therefor no need for budgets.

Now wasn't that a novel way to tackle corruption, give all past corruption amnesty then they could say there was no corruption.

That of course would have included all the things that are now being investigated, rice scheme, futsal courts, tablets, Tarit and the many others that you have missed.

As the amnesty bill is no more the budgets have now been raised again, another blow against corruption by guess who ?

My god, what has that waffle got to do with what I said.... you're 2 bob short of a quid..... have you actually understood anything I've said..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Thaksin phenomenon is a consequence of Thai feudalism, the elites have been brainwashing the poor to be content and to accept their place in the pyramid for ages, Democracy was never and will never be in their agenda. If democracy is not good enough then make it more democratic more participative talk and discuss democracy, don't block polling stations, don't stage a military coup, don't impose censorship when dialogue is urgently needed, don't brainwash people with patriotic BS from the 50's in a globalized world where neighbors need to accept and respect each other.

So are you saying democracy WAS on the paymasters agenda?

Perhaps you have forgotten he made several comments like: 'democracy is not my aim', 'democracy is not important for Thailand', etc.

The reality is that democracy extends as far as allowing an individual to vote in the next dictator who in turn is controlled by the banks and industry. For the people, by the people... it's just meaningless words. Unfortunately in Thailand with the average Thai being as ignorant as a toothbrush they cannot understand what true democracy is about and therefore cannot implement it.

You sound like a Hi-So Bangkok Elite and yellow shirt who always say that regular Thai people are too uneducated and dumb to select a leader or correct government

"True democracy", "Absolute democracy", "Thai style democracy" - what nonsense. Thailand had real democracy and it was overthrown by anti-democrats.

3 times this century:

Reply to Robby NZ...

Since 1932, Nelly Dean ??? omg NOT yet after 5 months tell us in 3 years, yes give him 3 years and see if there are any improvements ?? If not I will be ante coup.

Are you serious? You would support a military junta without elections for 3 years. Sweet jeezus. You should be in Nth Korea.

3 years is a short time-frame for, errr, eh, well, ... can't-use-the-D-word-ships in Thailand.

It was Thailand's bad luck, like Germany's in the 1930s and Italy's in the 1920s, to get a demagogue promising heaven and then some. Thaksin had made billions in the cellphone industry and had begun buying off journalists and northern politicians. He overwhelmingly won the 2001 election and then quickly showed his true colors. He put the lid on the parts of the media he didn't already control, reportedly had 3,000 small-time drug dealers killed in his war on drugs and generally showed that he was there to stay.

What is he trying to say?

Mixing Mussolini, Hitler and Thaksin. I would put Suthep in that category.

You better go back to your web design business Mr. President. cheesy.gif

If you don't know what youre talking about please don't say anything OK. If you say Suthep is worse than Thaksin explain to me why Suthep lives here and Thaksin doesn't and why the later don't dare to come back. I think you missed the train on this debate my friend. The problem with corrupt politicians with Thaksin on top of the Mountain is what triggered the military coup in the first place.

This guy is writing for one of the ultra-right-wing blogs in the USA. It's a regular money-making, fear and hate-mongering industry that preys on people who can't think for themselves. Among the other articles on the home page now is one titled: Democratic Party: America's Resident Evil

This guy has his head penetrating his own behind that he manages to mix all of the PDRC + military + anti-democratic-elites nonsense into a single article. Let's see.... starting at the top:

How many of the world’s governments are truly “democratic”? How many are genuinely representative of their peoples?

that is a red-herring - it's not the question that concerns people living in Thailand under a military 'government'.

A simple-minded, inadequate test is whether their governments were elected by majority vote, In fact, elections alone are no guarantee of representative democracy.

This guy is too banal to believe, he is the one who is too simple-minded. Elections do not guarantee representative democracy... but military 'intervention' does guarantee the death of democracy.

Elections in Thailand produced a government under previous regimes that were un-representative of large segments of Thai society.

This is a bold-faced lie which he must have gotten straight from the PDRC... The last time I looked, the Thai people voted and sent a perfectly representative mix of MPs to the government house - PTP, Democrats, and many others. The fact that the opposition abrogated their responsibilities in representing the (not a majority) of Thais who elected them, took to the streets, called for a military 'intervention', blocked, not just boycotted, elections, speaks volumes about the source of the 'un-representative democracy' in Thailand.

It used corruption to buy votes

Obviously not very informed. International observers declared the elections fair, ... as did the leader of the losing party. But hey, right-wing blog-o-sphere doesn't need facts.

Thailand tottered on the brink of civil chaos. In May of this year the military stepped in. Soon, the army commander, General Prayuth, became prime minister and announced a national program of reconciliation. Today, the streets of Bangkok are calm. Critics of the new government claim this is only so because of “repression.” In fact, it seems clear that most Thais breathed in relief that they had escaped the scourge of civil war.

This longer passage repeats the royalists-elites' and the 'NCPO' translation of events for the rest of the world. Of course the elites and military understand that there was never a risk of civil war before the 'intervention'. Suthep and Co used the same MO as they did in 2006 & 2008, not to mention in the decades going back to the 60s....

And it is slimy how he rejects the charge of repression without denying that it happens but rather just with a nonsensical and unrelated comment that "most Thais are relieved..." - American right-winger thinks torture is OK - well, ... that is his world.

Still, most Thais are satisfied with the new government’s attempt at reconciliation

yes, here we have all seen the military-backed opinion polls which month after month approach 99.99999% approval ratings for the 'NCPO'

The author uses this tired old horse,

What do Americans know that the Thai people don’t? Criticism and condemnation should be based on understanding.

to segue into this anti-democratic nonsense:

The Thai people understand what outsiders fail to understand.

yes, we falang, like the author, clearly don't understand Thailand because it is so unique and different that no other ideas about democracy can possibly apply - which falls flat since many Thai people prefer democracy to 'interventions', but they only control their vote. They can't control the generals.

Once again, he leans on the 'most Thais' crutch ignoring that the uber-rich elite and uber-rich generals currently in the drivers seat are not 'most Thais'.

Then he pulls this gem out of his ... well, you know:

Americans, more than any other people, should understand that majoritarian rule is a potential threat to representative government. America has a Constitution that prevents majority tyranny. The Thais deserve such a constitution, too.

because of course, Thailand had that before the 2006 'intervention' and something less democratic before the 2014 'intervention', and the government which was overthrown by the 'intervention' was following the constitution, calling for elections and putting the question of governance before the people.

Some how this nutter ignores all of that.

The ending is classic BS...

Many of Thailand’s American critics understand neither the aspirations of the Thai people nor the Constitution of the United States.

which he just 'claims' but of course he did not actually discuss the "aspirations" of Thais, nor did he discuss ANY points about the US constitution which guarantees freedom of speech, human rights, universal suffrage, civilian rule over military rule, and provides system of government which is fully elected and not appointed... from the national level to the state level to the county level to the municipal level.

On the other hand what if Robert Amsterdam had written an article......pick the bones out of that.

Your what if is... pure sophistry. Specious at best: look it up. The thread and OP are NOT about Robert Amsterdam.

What if you had not been born?

What if Suthep had not resigned in 1995 after the Sor Por Kor 4-01 land scheme scandal while he was Minister of Agriculture?

You are attempting a diversion to shunt the subject.

• Like 1

chotthee, on 26 Oct 2014 - 20:32, said:

MobileContent, on 26 Oct 2014 - 16:22, said:

It was Thailand's bad luck, like Germany's in the 1930s and Italy's in the 1920s, to get a demagogue promising heaven and then some. Thaksin had made billions in the cellphone industry and had begun buying off journalists and northern politicians. He overwhelmingly won the 2001 election and then quickly showed his true colors. He put the lid on the parts of the media he didn't already control, reportedly had 3,000 small-time drug dealers killed in his war on drugs and generally showed that he was there to stay.

What is he trying to say?

Mixing Mussolini, Hitler and Thaksin. I would put Suthep in that category.

You better go back to your web design business Mr. President. cheesy.gif

Just imagine what will Thailand become if the 3,000 small-time drug dealers is not got rid of?

Thailand will become the land of drug.

There's no proof they were guilty, they weren't given the right to a trial. now, for some shocking news... Thailand is a land of drugs.

I think you mean hub of drugs!? :)

Reply to Robby NZ...

To those obsessed with all things Shnawatra, even if Idi Amin had seized power, they would rally behind him than anyone elected by the Thai people to be their leader: as they did twice and twice were forcibly removed.

A majority of Thais elected them, not the Bangkok elite.

• Like 2

The OP writer doesn't even understand America. America isn't a democracy. It is a republic of states.

Each state gets two representatives and therefore two votes in the Senate. So the smallest state has the same amount of clout as the largest state. This way the elites in the big states and the big cities can't force their will on the small towns and small states.

Nothing is perfect, but I see no effort at reform in Thailand except against a certain color of shirt. Please think about that.

When the Junta sends some real muscle to a certain island where two Brits were killed and cleans the place out I'll believe it is serious about eliminating corruption among the people, the police, the courts and the local leaders. Yes it takes time to clean up corruption. This is internationally high profile so start right there instead of making excuses.

"i am well aware of rebublicans attempts to limit voters" how are you aware of this factoid? "

Well, I can't speak for how the OP became aware of it, but I became aware of that fact, when Pennsylvania House Majority Leader Mike Turzai (R ) admitted as much in a speech to the "... Republican State Committee meeting..." back in 2012.

Jackass.

wow, you make up shi# as you go, lie about what you do not know about then you call people names. did i make you lose face? is that the reason for your phony anger? simple is as simple does, man up a little, read a book, stop talking rumors and acting like old women do :-)

Reply to Robby NZ...

Again gin jag posts from a position of blind ignorance.

firstly YES! with a few glitches - since 1932!

Secondly what "improvements" are you looking for? I doubt you really have any idea.

and finally - you want to give hime three years did you pick that number out of a hat?- well it might come as a surprise but he's already talking 4 years...... and if your "improvements" 9whatever they may be!) don't appear, what do you intend to do?....or hope to see? or think will happen?

Are you expecting the junta to turn around and say "sorry we couldn't do it, over to you Thaksin"?

• Like 1

wow, you make up shi# as you go, lie about what you do not know about then you call people names. did i make you lose face? is that the reason for your phony anger? simple is as simple does, man up a little, read a book, stop talking rumors and acting like old women do :-)

I suppose I made up the VIDEO of the idiot actually SAYING what I said he said?

I could be wrong, you may not be a jackass. Based on your comments here, and in other posts from you, you sound more like a 5 year old.

I have cited my source in the most concrete way possible. Come back at me with a cogent argument, if you can. I'm quite sure you can not, because if you are not 5, then you are a jackass. Either way, you aren't up to the task.

"Most Thais want to give the new government a chance to implement a national campaign against corruption as well as the effort toward national reconciliation. They see these as crucial precursors to desperately needed constitutional reform." They are already failing. Why is not Suthep brought to justice ????? Are the religion more important than the country ???? Before they starts bringing people for court for what they have done they have a hopeless case. No matter who or what name. Put the in jail and Thailand will succeed.

Mr Scott Chowtham. Do you think its more democratic system now in Thailand. How can Thailand get a democracy with the draconic lese majeste laws ???? Not democratic at all. Its impossible to have a democracy without the freedom of speak and thoughts. Luckily they cannot read the mind of people. The democracy will not appear in Thailand before this laws are removed. Don`t matter government, junta or not.