Thailand Haltingly Moves Toward Stability and Democracy

Lite Beer

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Thailand's bad luck, like Germany's in the 1930s and Italy's in the 1920s, to get a demagogue promising heaven and then some. Thaksin had made billions in the cellphone industry and had begun buying off journalists and northern politicians. He overwhelmingly won the 2001 election and then quickly showed his true colors. He put the lid on the parts of the media he didn't already control, reportedly had 3,000 small-time drug dealers killed in his war on drugs and generally showed that he was there to stay.

What is he trying to say?

Mixing Mussolini, Hitler and Thaksin. I would put Suthep in that category.

You better go back to your web design business Mr. President. cheesy.gif

If you don't know what youre talking about please don't say anything OK. If you say Suthep is worse than Thaksin explain to me why Suthep lives here and Thaksin doesn't and why the later don't dare to come back. I think you missed the train on this debate my friend. The problem with corrupt politicians with Thaksin on top of the Mountain is what triggered the military coup in the first place.

1. Suthep lives here and Thaksin doesn't because the yellows control the non-elected institutions of state and most importantly the military.

2. That corruption is the justified cause of the coup is a red herring that only the foolish believe. The coup was a co-ordinated and orchestrated event by those opposed to democracy - that is all.

• Like 2

"Most Thais want to give the new government a chance to implement a national campaign against corruption as well as the effort toward national reconciliation. They see these as crucial precursors to desperately needed constitutional reform." They are already failing. Why is not Suthep brought to justice ????? Are the religion more important than the country ???? Before they starts bringing people for court for what they have done they have a hopeless case. No matter who or what name. Put the in jail and Thailand will succeed.

In the absence of elections and in a climate of harsh censorship and oppression where an omnipotent and unchecked regime can detain any and all, at will, unquestioned, how does anyone really know what most Thais want?

Yes, there are people that need to be put in jail, unfortunately these people are instead being put on committees.

Still, most Thais are satisfied with the new governments attempt at reconciliation. According to the result of a poll conducted in September with 1,534 people throughout the country, 43.16% said they were satisfied with it and 38.14% very satisfied, while 12.32% said they were a little satisfied and 6.38% not satisfied at all.

Most Thais want to give the new government a chance to implement a national campaign against corruption as well as the effort toward national reconciliation. They see these as crucial precursors to desperately needed constitutional reform.

Thais have had enough of majoritarian one-party rule. They believe in the new governments commitment to restore elections in a new constitutional framework.

My first reaction is that Scott Chowtham doesn't read Thai Visa, I'm sure that he would have a whole different opinion if he was to read the comments of Fab 4 and the rest who support murder, arson and corruption. Make no mistake, when you support Thaksin, that is what you are standing in favor of. His rule of terror, complete with almost every member of his family, was nothing short of demagoguery.

My first reaction is ramrod711 has not understood the article. when you support Thanksin!!! Quite the contrary in Scott Chowthams case if you ask me!!!

My first reaction is he needs to watch his mouth.

Gosh Mr. 4, I hope that wasn't an attempt to threaten or intimidate me.

It was Thailand's bad luck, like Germany's in the 1930s and Italy's in the 1920s, to get a demagogue promising heaven and then some. Thaksin had made billions in the cellphone industry and had begun buying off journalists and northern politicians. He overwhelmingly won the 2001 election and then quickly showed his true colors. He put the lid on the parts of the media he didn't already control, reportedly had 3,000 small-time drug dealers killed in his war on drugs and generally showed that he was there to stay.

If you don't know what youre talking about please don't say anything OK. If you say Suthep is worse than Thaksin explain to me why Suthep lives here and Thaksin doesn't and why the later don't dare to come back. I think you missed the train on this debate my friend. The problem with corrupt politicians with Thaksin on top of the Mountain is what triggered the military coup in the first place.

1. Suthep lives here and Thaksin doesn't because the yellows control the non-elected institutions of state and most importantly the military.

2. That corruption is the justified cause of the coup is a red herring that only the foolish believe. The coup was a co-ordinated and orchestrated event by those opposed to democracy - that is all.

I believe that you are wrong, everyone knows that Thaksin doesn't live here because he went to the Olympics and can't find his way back.

The article pretty much sums up the situation, whether you like it or not.

When I read the red-shirt comments on here, it reminds me just how backwards a lot of Thailand is in terms of civilisation. They sound more like undereducated schoolboys with a big chip on their shoulders. As time goes on, I realise this chip is because they perceive non red-shirts as 'rich elite' and they think they think someone should take that money and give it to them. They think Thaksin would do that by allowing them to take money through corruption as a matter of policy.

Get out of your hammock and go to Bangkok and watch the people sat in the buses and cars on their way to work every day. They are certainly not 'elite'. They are just educated people trying to earn money for a better life and despise those who would just steal it for themselves like the last shower in government were doing.

• Like 1

When I read the red-shirt comments on here, it reminds me just how backwards a lot of Thailand is in terms of civilisation. They sound more like undereducated schoolboys with a big chip on their shoulders. As time goes on, I realise this chip is because they perceive non red-shirts as 'rich elite' and they think they think someone should take that money and give it to them. They think Thaksin would do that by allowing them to take money through corruption as a matter of policy.

Get out of your hammock and go to Bangkok and watch the people sat in the buses and cars on their way to work every day. They are certainly not 'elite'. They are just educated people trying to earn money for a better life and despise those who would just steal it for themselves like the last shower in government were doing.

sorry have to disagree - the article shows no knowledge of Thai history.

This isn't a football match - it is NOT simply red v yellow. anyone who thinks thaksin is anything motte than a symptom has got the wrong end of the stick.

There can be no full discussion as the truth is that the voice of opposition is currently illegal in Thailand.

• Like 2

This isn't a football match - it is NOT simply red v yellow. anyone who thinks thaksin is anything motte than a symptom has got the wrong end of the stick.

There can be no full discussion as the truth is that the voice of opposition is currently illegal in Thailand.

Slagging off and opposition are two different things, constructive criticism is fine-in fact the PM is wanting feedback for improvements.

Your interpretation is OTT. where is the law here to say it is illegal to oppose ?? Their is a clampdown on underground movements that are organized to disrupt the clean up efforts.

Me thinks that Thai american feels because he can own and operate a business without paying bribes going to his head besides being able to buy and own home and land it sits on unfair. Maybe when he got speeding ticket couldn't buy off cop. Yes there are trade offs in a democracy one being freedom of choice but the key word is freedom the right to redress the government without fear. In Thailand you can't do that but that is ok. I'm a guest and know the rules but in America everyone including you as a tourist are afforded the same rights as it's citizens. Bet you didn't know that is including free speech. No you can't pull out Mr. Willie and pee on the cheese, Yes you should obey the laws or you will be held accountable for your actions. No we don't reenact the crimes and show you begging for forgiveness. and if you murder someone you can be held to account for the crime if your still breathing. But with that there are the other things Such as being the police of the planet. Sending your children to die on foreign soil to protect others Who can give a rat's butt about your help. Then the leaders who dupe us time to time who mess things up. Yet you won't see Americans burning your flag. Yes you will get ones who may not understand your culture. But more of us willing to live side by side in peace. No two price system one price only.

You answered your own post. They are educated people. The red shirt masses are deprived of an education by this very same machine. That is the root of the problem... thank you for pointing it out to everyone.

"That is the root of the problem... thank you for pointing it out to everyone. - rubbish a simpleton's view.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 2

Slagging off and opposition are two different things, constructive criticism is fine-in fact the PM is wanting feedback for improvements.

Your interpretation is OTT. where is the law here to say it is illegal to oppose ?? Their is a clampdown on underground movements that are organized to disrupt the clean up efforts.

at present the law is quite clear - those opposing the government are subject to prosecution under marial law or "lese majeste" whichever ever seems more "appropriate" - you really are out of touch.

from wiki - "Thailand ranked 59th out of 167 countries in 2004 and then fell to 107th out of 167 countries in 2005 in the worldwide Press Freedom Indexfrom Reporters Without Borders.[7][8] Thailand's ranking fell to 153rd out of 178 in 2010 and rose to 137th out of 179 in 2011–2012.[9][10]"

"Per Thailand's Martial Law Act of 1914, the military now has the power to “summon officials and individuals for investigation; search and seize individuals or items; order compulsory military service and forced labour; prohibit assemblies, media coverage, advertising, public transport; destroy 'enemy' dwellings and build army barracks anywhere.” - http://techpresident.com/news/wegov/25067/what-martial-law-thailand-means-freedom-speech

Edited by wilcopops

You answered your own post. They are educated people. The red shirt masses are deprived of an education by this very same machine. That is the root of the problem... thank you for pointing it out to everyone.

rubbish

I'm confused... I think we agree? Is my post "rubbish" or the one I said was "rubbish" rubbish?

wilcopops, on 27 Oct 2014 - 00:07, said:
ginjag, on 26 Oct 2014 - 19:26, said:
MediaWatcher, on 26 Oct 2014 - 19:20, said:

Reply to Robby NZ...

I know what has been happening, BUT I also know that very little has changed.. yes, there have been numerous investigations, most simply fade away, my point is, and you seem to fail understanding it is that so far little has changed, everyday we still see corruption, we still see the RTP taking "tea" money, happened to my wife only last week, we still see jetski scams on Patong beach, we still see cops siding with scammers, do I need to go on. How many charges/convictions have we seen with the rice scams...very little...how many military officers investigated, how many high level RTP investigated.... you really need to open you eyes, and mind, to the truth, not believe what the junta wants you to believe. I truly hope things do change, in a positive direction, for ALL Thais, but so far...nope, all talk. Thailand needs to mature and get over this coup will fix the problems mentality... The military has been in control, since 1932, longer, close to 50% of the time, than any single political party... and look at Thailand's political system.... fail fail fail. The coups have never succeeded and so far neither has this one.

Since 1932, Nelly Dean ??? omg NOT yet after 5 months tell us in 3 years, yes give him 3 years and see if there are any improvements ?? If not I will be ante coup.

Again gin jag posts from a position of blind ignorance.

firstly YES! with a few glitches - since 1932!

Secondly what "improvements" are you looking for? I doubt you really have any idea.

and finally - you want to give hime three years did you pick that number out of a hat?- well it might come as a surprise but he's already talking 4 years...... and if your "improvements" 9whatever they may be!) don't appear, what do you intend to do?....or hope to see? or think will happen?

Are you expecting the junta to turn around and say "sorry we couldn't do it, over to you Thaksin"?

A bit of news in today, to highlight how things haven't changed. Today, an article in Phuketwan, tells us that a "top" cop is being transferred, strangely just as he was about to investigate the money trail of the jet ski mafia on Phuket.... the assumption, from the article, is that he was getting too close to some powerful people, so to silence him, and dissolve his team, he has been moved.... This would be a good time for the "unelected" PM to show some balls leadership.

• Like 2

wilcopops, on 27 Oct 2014 - 08:48, said:
Evolare, on 26 Oct 2014 - 23:12, said:
MobileContent, on 26 Oct 2014 - 16:22, said:

" If you say Suthep is worse than Thaksin explain to me why Suthep lives here and Thaksin doesn't" - one has to laugh a this piece of child-like logic!

Um, one controls the established power bases, eg military, and the other doesn't, in a "functioning," "honest" government both would be jailed.

• Like 1

"That is the root of the problem... thank you for pointing it out to everyone. - rubbish a simpleton's view.

You present such a compelling argument... it's hard not to agree with you. cheesy.gif Keeping the masses uneducated has long been a method of controlling a population. I think you must be one of the "masses".clap2.gif

Totally agree with the article. Do others commenting really believe that previously had a democratically elected government? The current regime has done more in past 6 months to tackle corruption than any recent "elected" government.

I cannot believe the idiocy of some members on this forum. The people of Thailand were NEVER ALLOWED to develop (key word there) Democracy. Jeezuz H huh.png

• Like 1

Me thinks that Thai american feels because he can own and operate a business without paying bribes going to his head besides being able to buy and own home and land it sits on unfair. Maybe when he got speeding ticket couldn't buy off cop. Yes there are trade offs in a democracy one being freedom of choice but the key word is freedom the right to redress the government without fear. In Thailand you can't do that but that is ok. I'm a guest and know the rules but in America everyone including you as a tourist are afforded the same rights as it's citizens. Bet you didn't know that is including free speech. No you can't pull out Mr. Willie and pee on the cheese, Yes you should obey the laws or you will be held accountable for your actions. No we don't reenact the crimes and show you begging for forgiveness. and if you murder someone you can be held to account for the crime if your still breathing. But with that there are the other things Such as being the police of the planet. Sending your children to die on foreign soil to protect others Who can give a rat's butt about your help. Then the leaders who dupe us time to time who mess things up. Yet you won't see Americans burning your flag. Yes you will get ones who may not understand your culture. But more of us willing to live side by side in peace. No two price system one price only.

He would be supprtive of the current set up until he wasn't allowed to be on their team

This is exactly what happened.to sondhi. He loved Thaksin until he was cut out of the trough.

at present the law is quite clear - those opposing the government are subject to prosecution under marial law or "lese majeste" whichever ever seems more "appropriate" - you really are out of touch.

from wiki - "Thailand ranked 59th out of 167 countries in 2004 and then fell to 107th out of 167 countries in 2005 in the worldwide Press Freedom Indexfrom Reporters Without Borders.[7][8] Thailand's ranking fell to 153rd out of 178 in 2010 and rose to 137th out of 179 in 2011–2012.[9][10]"

"Per Thailand's Martial Law Act of 1914, the military now has the power to “summon officials and individuals for investigation; search and seize individuals or items; order compulsory military service and forced labour; prohibit assemblies, media coverage, advertising, public transport; destroy 'enemy' dwellings and build army barracks anywhere.” - http://techpresident.com/news/wegov/25067/what-martial-law-thailand-means-freedom-speech

Those opposing are SUBJECT to prosecution--under Martial Law -different..... meaning the choice is there for them to use. NOT anyone no matter how they oppose.

They have powers if they so wish to implement, that is what it covers NOT your interpretation ---ANYTHING.

You are in touch too much OTT. Powers are there IF NEEDED----get real

Those opposing are SUBJECT to prosecution--under Martial Law -different..... meaning the choice is there for them to use. NOT anyone no matter how they oppose.

They have powers if they so wish to implement, that is what it covers NOT your interpretation ---ANYTHING.

And who decides "if needed"? You? Me? Them? Who decides the fate of the nation? At present it appears to be a tacitly supported dictatorship.

And who decides "if needed"? You? Me? Them? Who decides the fate of the nation? At present it appears to be a tacitly supported dictatorship.

Attitude have we ??

A football referee --if in the opinion of him, he will decide.

Them---the Thais got themselves into the dung hole, they voted in their wisdom, and democratically elected some control freaks. So to get Thailand out of the mess we have THEM in charge who therefore decide who is right and wrong FOR the time being.

The Thais decided on the fate of the nation and this is the outcome. They chose and followed wrong. Clean up time folks, but you will not like this will you. ?? Intervention time. Up to Thais if they vote from their wallets and grey matter.

ginjag, on 27 Oct 2014 - 17:47, said:ginjag, on 27 Oct 2014 - 17:47, said:
mojorison, on 27 Oct 2014 - 17:37, said:mojorison, on 27 Oct 2014 - 17:37, said:
ginjag, on 27 Oct 2014 - 14:51, said:ginjag, on 27 Oct 2014 - 14:51, said:

Attitude have we ??

Them---the Thais got themselves into the dung hole, they voted in their wisdom, and democratically elected some control freaks. So to get Thailand out of the mess we have THEM in charge who therefore decide who is right and wrong FOR the time being.

The Thais decided on the fate of the nation and this is the outcome. They chose and followed wrong. Clean up time folks, but you will not like this will you. ?? Intervention time. Up to Thais if they vote from their wallets and grey matter.

How can democracy advance, and become workable, if every few years these a military lead coup, that disrupts the process. Democracy is run by the people...NOT the military.

• Like 1

"Most Thais want to give the new government a chance to implement a national campaign against corruption as well as the effort toward national reconciliation. They see these as crucial precursors to desperately needed constitutional reform." They are already failing. Why is not Suthep brought to justice ????? Are the religion more important than the country ???? Before they starts bringing people for court for what they have done they have a hopeless case. No matter who or what name. Put the in jail and Thailand will succeed.

In the absence of elections and in a climate of harsh censorship and oppression where an omnipotent and unchecked regime can detain any and all, at will, unquestioned, how does anyone really know what most Thais want?

Yes, there are people that need to be put in jail, unfortunately these people are instead being put on committees.

That's an easy question.

They all want to win the lottery.

• Like 1

It's not that the Red rank and file of this nation want something for nothing, it's more that they just don't want to keep getting ripped off anymore by an upper-class that looks down its collective noses at them and sees them as no more than buffalo to be used and exploited for their own selfish and gluttonous purposes.

Thaksin treated them, the average people, as humans and as equal owners of the nation, for that they love and admire him and will continue to elect any of his designated proxies for a long time to come.

Attitude have we ??

Good rant. Sums up the state of the nation...cheesy.gif

ginjag, on 27 Oct 2014 - 17:47, said:ginjag, on 27 Oct 2014 - 17:47, said:
mojorison, on 27 Oct 2014 - 17:37, said:mojorison, on 27 Oct 2014 - 17:37, said:
ginjag, on 27 Oct 2014 - 14:51, said:ginjag, on 27 Oct 2014 - 14:51, said:

Attitude have we ??

How can democracy advance, and become workable, if every few years these a military lead coup, that disrupts the process. Democracy is run by the people...NOT the military.

The people do not know what democracy means----ask any Thai--they have no idea.

Have you noticed that the people decide who runs the job (democracy) and vote for bad governance.

Why in recent years have the military intervened ??? the governments had to be slung out.

Now educate the Thais to know about democracy, and we may get some better governance.