What are the roads like?

PomRakBKK

Hey,

I know its sort of a stupid question but are the roads in hua hin comparable to those in pattaya or bangkok?

A pothole here and there but you dont need a fortuner to get to big c?

Is it feasible to drive a sports car through Hua Hin without ripping off the bumper every week?

As you can tell we haven't been to Hua Hin yet but we keep thinking about moving there and checking it out this weekend.

Just asking about the general road conditions as i love to drive my car and would hate to have roads that require a truck to get around town.

Thanks

I saw a Lamborghini there last week...

Roads are fine....

A coincidence, I saw one going down Sukhumvit in Pattaya yesterday.

I was betting he hadn't driven it down 2nd rd nor near my place where even the truck struggles.

with a very small amount of forethought and a lot of money, the local Huahin administration is turning a reasonably inefficient 3 lane main road into a totally farcical series of 1 lane bottle-necks where they don't even dare paint lane lines (not that many Thai drivers understand the concept or purpose of lane lines anyway) - it is more of a "you guys figure it out yourselves" traffic management system.

• Like 1

Main road ok,but if u venture off the main rd some are not so good,but traffic now that high season is here,is really busy,was heading down town on fri night around 6ish,the whole town was grid locked,cars all over the place,then you need to find parking....grrrrr,once the train comes through the place is a night mare

• Like 2

I have driven through many cities in Thailand. I live in Hua Hin and I think it has the very worst road up keep than anywhere else I have been in this country. Take a drive up Soi 88 to the new Court House and beyond for example. I drive a truck.

• Like 2

We have a house in Hua Hin, as others have said main road (plus a couple of main side roads) is fine. But Take Soi 6 too far and there is a lot of flooding and pot holes to contend with.

Also if you were to go tot he floating market (no big deal), you'd have to travel a bit on an unfinished dirt road (last time I was there in July).

Edited by utkb
  • Like 1

I go there often and I still like it there.

The roads are generally in better condition, but nowadays the traffic is much worse!

The main road through Hua Hin is 4 - 6 lanes wide with heavy slow, slow moving traffic and when not busy occasionally then high speed, crossing the road is very very dangerous!

Good luck!

The roads off the main road are full of potholes and some extremely tall speed bumps that could possibly damage a very low sports car. You don't need a truck, but a very low car would be in jeopardy. My wife drives a Honda Civic and it has barely ok ground clearance for some side sois.

• Like 1

I live in the southern part of Hua Hin, a beach area called Khao Ta Kiab; other than the main road into the area, the roads here are not so good..

The main roads into Hua Hin are generally good, and some are excellent.

The main road in Hua Hin, Phetkasem Road, is good, but often a lot of traffic, and a lot of road works now in some areas slowing traffic down - as noted in some earlier posts.

The roads and Sois off Phetkasem Road are a mixed bag - some are full of pot holes in places, others are very good.

We have had a little rain here in recent weeks, and a lot of the Sois and minor roads have experienced a growth in the number of pot holes, small and large.

And for Richard, was that the lime green Lamborghini?

I live in the southern part of Hua Hin, a beach area called Khao Ta Kiab; other than the main road into the area, the roads here are not so good..

The main roads into Hua Hin are generally good, and some are excellent.

The main road in Hua Hin, Phetkasem Road, is good, but often a lot of traffic, and a lot of road works now in some areas slowing traffic down - as noted in some earlier posts.

The roads and Sois off Phetkasem Road are a mixed bag - some are full of pot holes in places, others are very good.

We have had a little rain here in recent weeks, and a lot of the Sois and minor roads have experienced a growth in the number of pot holes, small and large.

And for Richard, was that the lime green Lamborghini?

Khao Ta Kiab....

Love that place .

Lots of development going on last time I was there.

Not cheap either

This morning I drove north through Prachuab Khirikhan province (but took the bypass around Hua Hin), and I thought that the stretch of road just north of Muang PKP was as bad as any that I've experienced in Thailand. I was really worried about the damage that was being done to my new Honda CR-V. I can only assume that VIPs don't go that far south.

• 2 weeks later...

The overall road status in Hua Hin pretty much covers the whole spectrum of what you'll find anywhere in Thailand. Ranging from atrocious to pretty good. None are excellent.

Recently some of the 'pretty good' roads have been submitted to an 'improvement scheme' whereby lane demarcations have been set with raised inserts. Run over these with the stiffened suspension of a sports car and you're sure to displace a vertebrae or two. They're somewhat uncomfortable with my suspension set in 'comfort' mode.

The only way to avoid these 'insets' is to follow the locals and tourists driving low powered bikes at 15km/h whilst they sit in the middle of your lane.

During the wet season you can also expect to find localized flooding due to run-off. This doesn't hang around long though. Just don't take the flyover near Soi's 102 and 112 too quickly and you'll never be unpleasantly surprised.

Overall, Hua Hin isn't well represented by it's common infrastructure and amenities. It's a nice place to visit and live though.

Jerry