Single entry tourist visas

I'll be flying into Thailand and getting a 30 day exemption stamp. A couple of weeks later, I'm going to Hanoi for a week or so, where I'll apply for a 60 day tourist visa. According to an archived thread I just looked at, the Thai embassy there will only issue a single entry tourist visa, not a double entry. When we return from Hanoi, we'll be going to stay with the in-laws in Ubon, and I had planned to pop over to Lao for a couple of days while there. Does the single entry tourist visa mean I can't leave the country apart from when I fly back to Europe? Or is there a way to convert it to a double entry at a land border? Does anyone have any experience of this?

When you come back from Laos you will be allowed 30 days days again visa exempt if from a G7 country, so you may not need to do anything. You may not even need the tourist visa since being married to a Thai you can obtain a 60 days extension at immigration for Bt 1,900.

See below for boarding to Thailand with no visa and no return ticket within 30 days.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754481-boarding-to-thailand-without-return-ticket/

Edited by paz

Thanks for the link, paz. Some useful info there.

You may not even need the tourist visa since being married to a Thai you can obtain a 60 days extension at immigration for Bt 1,900.

Surely, to get a 60 day extension, I have to have a visa to start with? If I'm on an exemption, there's nothing to extend. Or am I getting hold of the wrong end of the stick?

\Surely, to get a 60 day extension, I have to have a visa to start with? If I'm on an exemption, there's nothing to extend. Or am I getting hold of the wrong end of the stick?

There is no visa requirement.

2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality:
Permission shall be granted for one time and no more than 60 days.
(1) There must be proof of relationship.
(2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto.

Ah! That's something I didn't know.

So given that I'll be 62 days (yes, bad planning, I know; I wasn't really thinking when I booked the tickets - it was two calender months) from arrival in Thailand to departure, should I apply to immigration when I return from Hanoi? Before immigration, presumably. Also, I have the marriage cert in Greek and and official English translation (we married in Greece 7 - 8 years ago), but not in Thai. Would I have to get an official Thai translation, or would English suffice? Also, I'm not visiting a spouse. She's living with me here in Greece. We're visiting her parents.

Edit to add that we will only be in Thailand for about two weeks before we fly to Hanoi, then about 5 weeks after we return, during which time I'd like to pop over to Pakse for a couple of days.

Edited by nisakiman

If you interrupt your stay in Thailand with trips to Laos, you do not need the extension and not even the tourist visa.

As long your wife is with you when you apply at Immigration in Thailand it doesn't matter where you live.

Normally the English translation is sufficient but in case they make it difficult you can get a legalized translation in Bangkok.

Edited by paz

If you interrupt your stay in Thailand with trips to Laos, you do not need the extension and not even the tourist visa.

As long your wife is with you when you apply at Immigration in Thailand it doesn't matter where you live.

Normally the English translation is sufficient but in case they make it difficult you can get a legalized translation in Bangkok.

-----------------------

I'm sorry if your wife is Thai she may not need a visa for Laos.

As a foreigner you do however.

A Thai wife can not help a foreigner enter into Laos "visa free" even if she can enter Laos visa free.

But if you have a single entry tourist visa, you can get a re-entry permit to leave Thailand and return .... as long as your single entry tourist visa is still valid when you exit and when you return.

So if you are in Thailand and hold a valid single entry tourist visa ...... and you decide to "pop over" to Laos for a short visit with your wife buy a single entry re-entry permit for 1000 baht at your local immigration.

That permit will keep your single entry tourist visa valid and not have your exit to Laos cancel it.

But you will still need to get a Lao visa..... which can be done at the border.

To keep your Thai tourist visa valid make sure that you show the re-entry permit you purchased at your local immigration on departure from Thailand so Thai immigration won't stamp your single entry tourist visa as used when you exit Thailand.

And also show your re-entry permit when you return to Thailand.

If you don't, you will have a big shock when you return, and all you get is a 30 or 15 day visa exempt entry to Thailand

I got a double entry tourist visa at Hanoi 2 months ago; but I think you'll need to show air tickets for travel in & out of Thailand.

Ah, that's interesting. I'll give it a try.

I got that too. In April. Earlier it was also reported as being attained, with a triple entry being available as well. Lineups were only a handful of people, at the most. From the Old Quarter the office is near. I walked over.