Malaria in North and Northern Eastern Thailand

MumuSia

Hi

I was advised to take malaria tablets before going to Thailand in December, but I'd rather not because I heard they are not good for you and also i'm not to worried myself cause I don't consider Thailand that is high risk area for malaria

Am I wrong ? should I be concerned ? I will be staying longterm in Northeastern Thailand for long periods, is there any residents from the north eastern or has spent long periods that can tell if its something they have had a problem with ?

Thanks

You really need to take them, especially if you have never been exposed to mosquito bites before. I advise a 60 day course of DOXYCYCLINE, one a day and start taking them about a week before you travel to Thailand. I've taken them lots of times and never had any problems with side affects, etc. chat with your G.P and he will advise you.

Hi

I was advised to take malaria tablets before going to Thailand in December, but I'd rather not because I heard they are not good for you and also i'm not to worried myself cause I don't consider Thailand that is high risk area for malaria

Am I wrong ? should I be concerned ? I will be staying longterm in Northeastern Thailand for long periods, is there any residents from the north eastern or has spent long periods that can tell if its something they have had a problem with ?

Thanks

Where in the north/ northeast are you planning to visit?

Hi

Thanks

Where in the north/ northeast are you planning to visit?

Buriram

Are you from Ireland, if so would you be able to tell when you applied how long it took recieve your visa ?

You really need to take them, especially if you have never been exposed to mosquito bites before. I advise a 60 day course of DOXYCYCLINE, one a day and start taking them about a week before you travel to Thailand. I've taken them lots of times and never had any problems with side affects, etc. chat with your G.P and he will advise you.

I have, he told me to take them for no more than 6 weeks

Edited by MumuSia

IMHO I think there is a greater risk of getting dengue fever from a mosquito bite than malaria and AFAIK there is no preventative tablets for this.

Four or five of my mates have had dengue.You also have the option of covering up and using a spray containing at least 50% DEET on unprotected skin which stops the mozzies biting you . This is what I used when I first came to live here but now I don't bother. Unfortunately it smells a bit and some people have an adverse reaction to it. I live in Buriram province and I don't know of anyone who takes antimalarial tablets or uses a DEET spray under normal circumstances. I would only do it if I was visiting an area known to be high risk.... Check the link for malaria advice for Thailand from the NHS http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/thailand/thailand-malaria-map.aspx

Edited by mxyzptlk
  • Like 1

The malaria experts will tell you that there are many forms of malaria and that the inoculation only covers some of them. The couple who run the insect museum in Chiang Mai and who are mosquito experts advise against inoculations.

• Like 1

And the chance of getting Malaria may not be any more than having severe reactions to medications. Malaria is just not a major health risk to tourist type travelers. Much better and safer to avoid getting bitten with DEET and covering up - and that will also help prevent dengue fever (which is much more likely to be the issue in towns and tourist areas).

unless your going to live in a jungle swamp dont bother.31yrs.ago i took them and suffered side affects so i havent bothered since.as its been said get some spray or lotion,the last 10yrs.i have used SOFFELL.

i live about 2hrs.from buriram.

Edited by meatboy

I have been coming and going for years and live in Chiang Mai now no problem. The border areas tend to be the problems and they do have a very active program to kill the carriers of malaria. My girl friends sister is a volunteer in their village she checks for stagnate water in her area and they use a treated sand that they pour into any container with standing water. The program is very affective as the malaria rate has been reduced to a very low rate.

I am actually living in Chaiyaphum in the middle of Isaan northeastern Thailand. My advise should be the same as Lopburi gave in post number 6.

I have never seen, experienced or even heard about anyone getting malaria here amon us that lives here.

But as being mention, if you live far out in the jungle, take a dose and feel better...

Glegolo

I have been coming to Thailand for 27 years, took the tablets the first two years, none since. I have being living in the North East for 11 years now, I venture into the jungle frequently, but haven't stayed overnight, but do live just on the edge of it. I have never had malaria, and haven't heard of anyone getting it. Dengue fever yes, Malaria no.

Edited by Issangeorge

I have been living in Isaan for the last 7 years.. I have never heard of anyone getting malaria... Dengue fever is a bigger risk.. I believe.. If you are going to be trekking in the jungle take the tablets.. otherwise... I'd say bring lots of 30 or 50% DEET and try to avoid being bitten.. always sleep in a room with mosquito screens or a mosquito net.. a small can of mosquito spray to clear out rooms in guesthouses is a good idea.. enjoy your adventure.. and don't worry too much :-)

I was in Liberia from 2012-2013 and was wondering about taking daily medication. I spoke to several people that took them and most said the side effects are not good (bad dreams, shakes, nerves, etc), so I decided not to take the daily medication and keep Malarone in my house. Also, I have heard that the daily medications can have long term impact on your liver and other organs. So, I decided against the daily medication and just said to myself that I know I will get Malaria (and probably Typhoid) while I am living there and no need to stress over it as they can be treated.

In 1 year I got Typhoid twice and Malaria once. Typhoid is not usually as severe and can be treated with a few trips to the doctor and some medicne. For Malaria, 3 days of Malarone (4 tablets per day) and all better. Others that worked with me did the same, so my advice would be not to take the daily medication and if you get it, just get treatment. Most people in Africa or other parts of the world die because they don't get (or can't get) treatment.

Edited by yaquinto

You should just try to avoid getting bitten.

Cover up in the evening and use repellant. Buy an aerosol spray to kill them and spray your bedroom several hours before you go to bed. Alternatively burn a coil.

Sleep with air conditioning set to a cold temperature. If you dont have air conditioning position a fan so it blows over you whilst you sleep then the mosquitoes can not physically fly in your vicinity to bite you.

And if you feel ill whilst there or on your return, get a malaria test.

Edited by poulet

there is no innoculation for malaria. there is a new one being tried in thailnd for dengue.

i was out in middle of nowhere korat, with mossies; and i dont cover up at night (r u crazy too darn hot), just repellant, and sleep wiht a mosquito net (hubby's shack is outdoor only, no windows etc.)

utterly impossible for people that actually live in issaan to take doxyciline for a year so dont bother for a few weeks either unless in specific areas.

this time round, i missed the dengue season; last time, my hubby's ;niece had , apparently, dengue and there were reports of others in the village just starting the season.

Doxycycline, you are recommending an antibiotic for a parasitic infection that you haven't even caught yet!!!! For 60 days!!!

Edited by jacko45k

I've been residing in Loei, north east Thailand for 2 years now and my home is about 50 metres from the Loei River. We have mozzies galore of a night but I use "OFF - Active", a spray on to keep the little buggers at bay. It is not the best smelling but after being applied it cannot be detected and so far, so good. It comes in an orange aerosol can and is sold in the major supermarkets. I also spray the bedroom about an hour before retiring with a mosquito aerosol spray and again, no problems. Hope this has been of some help

Malaria transmission in Thailand is limited to jungle areas mainly along the borders. None in towns, villages or anywhere else a visitor would be likely to spend the night. Unless you have an extremely unusual itinerary (i.e. planning to camp out in the jungle) there is no need for prophylaxis.

IMHO I think there is a greater risk of getting dengue fever from a mosquito bite than malaria and AFAIK there is no preventative tablets for this.

Four or five of my mates have had dengue.You also have the option of covering up and using a spray containing at least 50% DEET on unprotected skin which stops the mozzies biting you . This is what I used when I first came to live here but now I don't bother. Unfortunately it smells a bit and some people have an adverse reaction to it. I live in Buriram province and I don't know of anyone who takes antimalarial tablets or uses a DEET spray under normal circumstances. I would only do it if I was visiting an area known to be high risk.... Check the link for malaria advice for Thailand from the NHS http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/thailand/thailand-malaria-map.aspx

good link. thank you.

Doxycycline, you are recommending an antibiotic for a parasitic infection that you haven't even caught yet!!!! For 60 days!!!

Doxycycline is the only preventative recommended in South East Asia. Malaria is a rural problem, not a city problem so as everyone has advised, it isn't necessary to take it unless you will be going bush. Dengue is the city problem.

Years ago, we had it when we went to Angkor Wat in the wet season, start one day before arrival and one a day every day until 2 weeks after leaving the affected area. I was told that the main side effect is that it increases photo-sensitivity, so extra vigilance with sunscreen is necessary.

Actually there is no transmission in Siem Reap town nor the immediate vicinity of the temples (which one is in any case not usually in after dark) so malaria prophylaxis not indicated for that either. there is plenty of malaria transmission in heavily forested parts of Siem Reap province, but not in the town and not in the temple complex.

If u are still in the west go get some spray and bring with u,

Every time I go back to Canada I get the spray for kids and adults it is not expensive .

I only use it when we go north to Chiang rai and jungle areas were we might be staying at night and we cover up exposed skin also.

I have been doing this for 10 years and have never got anything