Highly competent passport photo service (for U.S.) sought

Jingthing

I will be needing a passport photo for a new U.S. passport.

Now for Thai visa extension photos, it's no big deal to go anywhere, and they don't even seem to look at the photos.

But reading the U.S. state department information on specifications for U.S. passport photos, it is clear they are VERY PICKY about the specifications.

Not only size of photo, but size of head in photo, expression, clarity, skin color, shadows, color of background, etc., etc.

So seeking a better than average place that can provide this service competently.

Any tips based on personal experience please?

You could just do a 'selfie' to control the parameters that you desire, then convert/resize that image.

Then you have four to a standard photo page ... or, if it's a big photo, two if you wish.

We had issues getting the baby photos done as no-one within a reasonable drive of the Farm did Passport photos any more.

So I just got some standard photos of them taken with the passport image in mind and got the local photo shop to make then the correct size ... he seemed to enjoy the challenge.

Maybe you value your privacy, there are online programs you can use to do this also.

If you need some more help, just send me a PM and I'd be happy to assist ... rolleyes.gif

Hope that Helps.

I mentioned Foto Ku (which I previously spelled wrong) on an old thread, but people couldn't find it.

Here's a Google street view. it's exactly opposite MK, just up from Sinderella Wedding Studio on the street on the north side of Big C Beach Road.

post-34982-0-39644800-1414365106_thumb.j

• Like 1

The Kodak shop on Jomtien Beach Road near the corner with Soi 5 managed to do me some photos that were acceptable for the UK passport agency, which surely must be the fussiest in the world.

Just tell them that you want them for a US passport and perhaps take the specification with you, just in case.

I think I got 6 done for 100B or so last year, and I always go there for all my ID photo needs.

• Like 1

The Kodak shop on Jomtien Beach Road near the corner with Soi 5 managed to do me some photos that were acceptable for the UK passport agency, which surely must be the fussiest in the world.

LOL. Try getting photos set up for a Philippine passport. The girls have to show their ears too, which is not popular with the ladies. They require a blue background.

The reason why we are so happy with Foto Ku is that we get to work with a wedding photographer, which the ladies will really appreciate. It's one thing getting the dimensions and colour right, but making a person look half decent in a passport photos is another story. You have to look at the photo for 5 - 10 years, so it's nice to get it right.

I agree. It's an I.D. photo you're stuck with a long time.

That said, look at the typical driver's license photo I.D.

Better yet, DON'T look at it!

Which reminds me I once told a cousin of mine, I don't photograph well (which is something I actually believe). So he said, maybe you're just ugly. Ouch!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

It's one thing getting the dimensions and colour right, but making a person look half decent in a passport photos is another story. You have to look at the photo for 5 - 10 years, so it's nice to get it right.

I never look at my own passport photo. Immigration people do, but I dont really mind giving them indigestion.

It's one thing getting the dimensions and colour right, but making a person look half decent in a passport photos is another story. You have to look at the photo for 5 - 10 years, so it's nice to get it right.

I never look at my own passport photo. Immigration people do, but I dont really mind giving them indigestion.

I understand. But these photos are looked at for other reasons than just aesthetics. Weird expressions can make you an object of suspicion, that is if they are accepted in the first place for passports, which they aren't always. I really don't like being photographed so I make unnatural faces. A professional photographer has helped me in the past getting acceptable photos for this. If you saw the photos I get when no care is taken, you'd understand.

• Like 1

I'm not the slightest bit concerned about my own photo but understand that many people are. My wife is one, and perhaps I was too when I was in my 20's. Having said that, it's amazing how much more ugly you can look with the wrong person behind the camera.

Edited by tropo

What sort of special picture would you want for a passport picture that you need a highly competent passport service?

I got one done here in BFE Isan. I just told him passport photo and showed him the dimensions on the form. Must have been good enough as I have a new passport.

Jingthing: Have you applied for your new passport yet? Did you have the photo taken in the Pattaya/Jomtien area and if so, where? I just made an application at the Embassy in Bangkok for 03-November and will need an acceptable photo, too.

I'm leaning toward trying the Kodak place on Jomtien Beach Road because in the past for other needs, they seemed to know what they are doing. But, if you found another place, and the picture is confirmed as acceptable, I'd like to know. Thanks!

There is a shop on 3rd road, west side near soi 14, 500 meters south from Pattaya Klang, that will produce excellent photos for most passports. They are very experienced and have the specs for USA passports, but bring your specs and they will make the photos to your exact specs. You can check the photos, before leaving, to ensure they comply (they have a ruler you can use). Cost is about 100b for 4 photos. They did an excellent job for me.

• Like 1

Jingthing: Have you applied for your new passport yet? Did you have the photo taken in the Pattaya/Jomtien area and if so, where? I just made an application at the Embassy in Bangkok for 03-November and will need an acceptable photo, too.

I'm leaning toward trying the Kodak place on Jomtien Beach Road because in the past for other needs, they seemed to know what they are doing. But, if you found another place, and the picture is confirmed as acceptable, I'd like to know. Thanks!

No, not yet.

I haven't decided yet when to do my renewal, can do sooner or later.