Out done by Thai logic or am I just plain stupid?

pinkpanther99

Lots of useful tips and techniques here.

As some pointed out, it is no rocket science.

What I fail to understand is the title of the OP. What has the water dispenser got to do with 'Thai logic'?

Because it's in Thailand and only in Thailand have I had this same problem. In fact, the only time I didn't see it spill was when Somchai came and delivered the machine on day one.

Liek I said, never in all my years of working in offices in the UK, have seen a problem like this.

Again, thai logic has nothing to do with refilling the water dispenser.

Anyway, just keep practicing. Hope you succeed one day.

May you never fumble and may there be a day when you finally never spill a drop!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is all in the technique and you are completely stupid and just missing something... wink.png

Basically just flip it over quickly with the recptical as empty as possible first. Let the water spill into the empty receptical.

We've got one at home and change it two or three times per week. No undue splashage.

Like the guys write below - the blue cap is pierced when inserted. It is YOU who is stupid and just missing something. Right?

Edited by Card

It is all in the technique and you are completely stupid and just missing something... wink.png

Basically just flip it over quickly with the recptical as empty as possible first. Let the water spill into the empty receptical.

We've got one at home and change it two or three times per week. No undue splashage.

Yeah, the first one of those I changed was in a gas station in 1960, keep at it, I'm sure you'll get it, or maybe not

I have used both types, the self-piercing model in Australia and the same type as you have here in Thailand. I have to agree with all those proponents of "technique". Once I learned to slow down and pour gently into the top of the Thai version I was surprised how much time I actually had to complete the process without spillage.

I have not been changing these things "all my life", as a previous poster stated, but I have been around them in various countries for the past 20 years or so.

I have yet to see one that did *not* pierce the cap.

Ours do not pierce and we have about 10 machines. Maybe it's the way they are set up. We process the water on sight and refill the tanks so we re use the blue caps.

I find you are more likely to have spillage if there is still too much water in the machine... in other words once the bottle is empty allow the residual water to drain to at least 25%, then quickly invert the bottle and insert.

Yep, when my bottle looks empty, I take it off the machine and put a towel over the dispenser to stop anything falling or crawling in to the water.

Check it when I use it and when it is three quarters empty, flip a new bottle on.

As Samran says, you will get spillage if you try to do it too quickly.

And I have never seen one of these machines that pierces the bottle.

• Like 1

Like the guys write below - the blue cap is pierced when inserted. It is YOU who is stupid and just missing something. Right?

So just trying to pick a fight for the sake of it? I've lived in countries where the piercing model is common.

It isn't here. I've got a machine in the office and one at home. The caps get ripped off and you pour.

But thanks for your pathetic attempt to have a go.

• Like 1

Yes it's all in the technique. It helps if you have strong arms. One of the guy's in my office broke his wrist whilst changing the tank.

yeah one of the guys in our office broke his wrist changing a toilet roll , he said his hand slipped off the end

i have a similar water cooler in my home.. leave cap on, wipe clean, then cut a cross in the blue cap with sharp knife. then place water tank on cooler, holding cut blue cap closed. the sharp thing in the cooler opens the cap and no unnecessary spillage.. works every time

I have one of these in my house, there is no piercing mechanism so many have spoken of. I peel off the blue cap and press my left palm tight on the opening. I then life the bottle centered over machine and lower it into place slightly tilted so I can slip my hand out. When it is there, I slide my hand away and set it down. I never spill any water, my palm is wet which isn't a problem cuz it's usually damp from holding a beer anyway.

I have not been changing these things "all my life", as a previous poster stated, but I have been around them in various countries for the past 20 years or so.

I've only see the "pierce" type a few times.

You've got to be kidding. I've been changing water bottles on those type of machines all of my life. I've never seen one that pierced the top. The unit has a small container in it which cools the water. You take off the blue cap, pick up the bottle, position the spout over the tank and begin to pour water in the tank. You then quickly turn the bottle over and set it in place. I've never spilled water when changing the bottle!

The ones I used in the UK had a seal across the top that was pierced as you dropped the bottle into place.

What I fail to understand is the title of the OP. What has the water dispenser got to do with 'Thai logic'?

He not understand - Just like Thai way of dealing with farang "betterment" suggestions? whistling.gif

Since the OP brought it up, Thai logic dictates that the machine must be laid on its side whilst rolling the giant "bottem" of water/nam into the hole at the top. Then simply and quickly remove the blue lid while simultaneously standing the whole machine up. Granted, this will require 17 Thai people to do this but think of the sanook everyone will have had. Thai logic at its best!

I would take a photo but the bottle has only just been changed.

The water cooler we have is 8 years old and bought from Global house. It DOES NOT pierce the top when loading the water bottle.

My method is to top up the cooler container to about three inches from the top and fill the bottle to half inch from top. If the bottle is tipped over quickly just above the container I get a few drops of water spilt on the flat top. Have been doing this since purchase and touch wood have so far not had any problems. But sods law being just that??

Oh cmon. Of course it pierces. Its 2014 lol. Yes i lol because i did the same mistake smile.png until gf showed me.Just put it on with the blue cap and it will pierce smile.png

Perhaps the OP should take a picture of the top of his machine *without* a Carboy on (yes that is the proper name for the bottle btw).

Then we can see if his dispenser has the probe which pierces the top or not.

My money is on it not being the piercing type.

Edited by seancbk
  • Like 1

uhhh... did you get sand kicked in your face at the beach ?... best to park the water tap not near a wall, that way you can better use your body to hoist it up. you can get a self tapper from the water company if you want,it cost a little more. who ever ordered this one was being cheap. :-)

Absolutely nothing.

It's the attitude that turns so many Thais against us.

The water bottles I used in Texas had a small white inner cap in the center of the main bottle cap that got pushed inside the bottle by the 'bayonet' mounted inside the receptacle where the bottle sits. This was 100% spill proof.

post-35874-0-49993000-1414413227_thumb.j

When I came to Thailand, the water cooler I bought had the same bayonet but I have never, ever seen the top caps with the small insert cap as above on any water bottles purchased locally.

Then one day at Amorn in Udon Thani, they had a box full of the disposable, US-style caps going for 15 baht each so I bought the lot and started using them when I was refilling my bottles. When they started to run out, I tried to get the other residents of the house to save the small white cap when the empty bottle being changed (it floats inside the bottle) and re use them. But that all became way too hard for them and all the caps eventually disappeared in the garbage. That's where Thai logic (or laziness) enters the discussion and they eventually reverted to making the same mess that the OP makes.