Your Python Sightings in Bangkok

Bangkok Herps

I asked this question on the pets forum, but I realized that it might be good to put it here. A little more than a week from now I'm giving an interview about pythons in Bangkok for a podcast on urban wildlife. To prepare, I'm looking for a bit more information from other Bangkok residents.

This is what I'm interested in:

Have you ever seen a wild python in Bangkok?
Approximately what part of the city, and what was the area like nearby?
Was it close to a canal, park, or green space?

How big was the python, and what was it doing?
What did you do?

Answers to any or all of those questions would be welcome. Thank you!

I saw a decent sized burmese python in sutthisarn area of bangkok a couple years ago. I'd say under 2meters in length. It was found near the khlongs there. I don't know what it was doing at the time as I saw it after the locals found it.

The only other snake I have seen in bangkok was in ratchada/huay kwang area. Again, not too far from the canal. I don't know what type of snake it was. It was on the road at night time and the security guard was minding it with a flashlight. I'd estimate about 1min in length. I almost walked right into it as I was coming back from the clubs and walking home from 7/11

• Like 1

I feel ashamed. I showed you my snake and you ignored me

Hahaha.

You might have missed my reply because it took me a little while to make it (I'm not on the internet most days). But I was interested because you posted a picture of a non-native python. Here's what I wrote on the other thread:

"Kurnell, that's a Green Tree Python in your photo. They are found in Indonesia, but not Thailand. Maybe an escaped pet? Or was your story and the picture two separate incidents?"

Can't understand why anyone would want to interview you on a subject you clearly have no knowledge about. Hope it goes well.

So here's your apparent question - this man was specifically chosen to take part in an interview about pythons in Bangkok...why?

I'll assume that you're a smart, logical person. Which means that if you are failing to understand something, it's probably because you lack pertinent information.

In this case, the information you lack (my knowledge of and experience with pythons and urban wildlife in general) is clear. So since that is so clear, I'm confused as to why you came in so hostile?

• Like 1

Have you ever seen a wild python in Bangkok?

Yes
Approximately what part of the city, and what was the area like nearby?

this tree: https://www.google.ie/maps/@13.8141951,100.6651387,3a,75y,137.96h,105.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1spE7AWePjHtwceXpXy1c_Wg!2e0?hl=en
Was it close to a canal, park, or green space?

have a look for yourself

How big was the python, and what was it doing?

Very big, sleeping
What did you do?

Took a few pictures, then ran.

• Like 1

Hahaha.

You might have missed my reply because it took me a little while to make it (I'm not on the internet most days). But I was interested because you posted a picture of a non-native python. Here's what I wrote on the other thread:

"Kurnell, that's a Green Tree Python in your photo. They are found in Indonesia, but not Thailand. Maybe an escaped pet? Or was your story and the picture two separate incidents?"

So the snake escaped from Indonesia and slithered all the way to Bangkapi?

Thanks much metapod, Firemedic, and phazey!

Hahaha.

So the snake escaped from Indonesia and slithered all the way to Bangkapi?

Nah, I'd say that any sort of accidental introduction of a wild snake is very unlikely, even though it does happen from time to time. Much more likely is that someone in Bangkok had a pet green tree python and it either escaped or they released it. Coincidentally, the most recent post on my blog deals with someone releasing a bought snake in Bangkok.

http://bangkokherps.wordpress.com/2014/10/25/snakes-in-the-market/

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can't understand why anyone would want to interview you on a subject you clearly have no knowledge about. Hope it goes well.

So go on then David Attenborough: what are your qualifications for appearing as an urban wildlife expert? - a couple of links to YouTube wildlife vids would convince me - I can't speak for the other doubters,of course.

Ha - I'm not David Attenborough (not that that means anything exactly), but "clearly have no knowledge about" was just nonsensical.

Since two people have asked about qualifications now, I guess I'll give them, not that it should be too important. But...

I'm caught a wild python in Bangkok.

I'm familiar with a number of other python sightings in Bangkok.
I wrote the online field guide Bangkok Herps.
I'm in touch with several herpetologists who have shared information on pythons with me, some specific to Bangkok.

I've found wild pythons in several other Asian countries.

I wrote an article on finding reptiles and amphibians in urban settings in Asia, with a focus on Bangkok, for Herpnation magazine.
I'm involved with the Bangladesh Python Project research project in Bangladesh and wrote a four-part series about the project for the Living Alongside Wildlife blog.
I've published several new distribution notes on urban reptiles for the Herp Review journal, including one from Bangkok
I was asked by Nat Geo to help guide their "Python Hunters" for the Thailand-based episode of the show.

Okay, that last one isn't a real qualification, just bragging.

But the answer is that I have experience with urban wildlife, especially reptiles and amphibians and especially in Bangkok, I have some relevant personal experience and knowledge of pythons in Asia, I've spent a long time collecting information about reptiles and amphibians and am experienced in presenting it to the public. Is that good enough for a podcast?

http://bangkokherps.wordpress.com/
http://www.herpnation.com/issues/herp-nation-magazine-issue-9

http://www.livingalongsidewildlife.com/2014/09/snake-call-bangladesh-python-project.html

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Michael_Cota/publication/263770486_Geographical_Distribution_Hemidactylus_parvimaculatus/links/0deec53bddedb77512000000

• Like 1

I saw what I assume to had been a python on the soi behind my previous office near the intersection of Rama IX and Ekamai. I assume it was a python because, even though it was dark I could see the snake was at least three meters long, it was laying across the soi, near a largish and swampy empty plot. I just walked around it since it seemed to be quite content enjoying the heat from the pavement.

On the same area I saw several green pit vipers and one small cobra, but that was the biggest snake.

• Like 1

I parked my car on the road into Suan Luang (King's Park) near Paradise Park. I parked under a tree for shade. I was up in the parking structure later having a smoke when I saw a bunch of people, two in uniforms of some kind, standing around my car. I went down to see what was up. They asked me to move my car so they could get a snake down. I looked up but didn't see it, as I was looking for a much smaller snake. I finally saw it, curled up around some branches, having a snooze. Lovely green thing, hard to say how long it was as it was wound around some branches, but I'd guess at least 3 meters.

It was in a hi-so neighborhood, houses with yards. Probably lots of toy poodles to dine on. Unfortunately, I couldn't stick around to see how they got it down.

• Like 1

Approximately 1 month ago I witnessed a <2 m long small python being extracted from behind a lamppost in Soi Lat Phrao 142; this was just 15/20m from the very busy Lat Prao road (near the Mall Bang-Kapi).

The unhappy and ratless (dinnerless) snake was collected by a couple of guys on a motorbike and stuffed into a sack - where it went I after I do not know (any guesses on the type of seasoning that went into the stew).

Running alongside Soi 142 is the small Klong Yap Phuen (known locally as Klong Chan) and this in turn runs into the large canal Saen Sap at the end of Soi 142 - which is often flooded down to the canal in wet weather.

Pythons used to be very common in Bangkok in the wet weather; but, as with all snakes, there has been a very considerable drop in the number of pythons in Thailand (I believe this is a world-wide phenomenon caused by global warming).

Also in Thailand in the last 10 years there have been far too many snakes captured and sent to China to feed the huge market there.

However I am pleased to say that there do seem to be more snakes around (at least in Buri Ram) this year. I hope the trend continues.

The largest number and biggest pythons I have seen (and unfortunately sometimes run-over at night) have all been in Chachoengsao (a surfeit of tasty chicken farms).