upcountry, best internet providers

Paul2011

tried seaching for athread on this and could not find one

we will be spending almost all our time in Chantaburi starting in Jan .. I would like to find out what is the best or at least very good internet service.. we don't have a land line, so DSL is out

we have used our samsung as a base, but it is very slow and I would like to get much faster downloads

we are about 21 KM north of the town of Chantaburi

any suggestions would be appreciated

Paul

Well I live in the sticks but can get WI MAX from TOT....................however they will feed you bullshit that its 10mb then show you on OOKLA SPEEDTEST however testing on www.speedofme shows the reality..............150kbps to max 750kbps

So you might like to ask TOT if they have wimax by you..........basically long range wi fi

I always recommend talking with neighbors as they are more likely to have a feel for what might be available in your exact location. Asking here, when most may be hundreds of Km away is probably less than useful.

Most ISPs now also offer service availability maps on their web-sites.

TOT Wi-NET

AIS AirNET

TOT

CAT

3BB

True Online

Scanning some speedtest aggregators I can only see results for TOT and True in Chantaburi.

Hi ,

This is a subject that really winds me up . We live 3 k outside of Prasat and used to be served with a dish direct to TOT until some trees 200 metres away

stopped the signal .On enquiry to TOT they told me no phone lines available . So I asked them if they could run fibre optics to my house, debating this for 10

or 15 minutes and they said it is possible at a cost of 15,000 baht . I said go ahead , supply and install but they replied they are too busy . I was

flabbergasted and thought that I may be on Candid Camera .Anyway , I had no alternative other than to have a dongle to my laptop . I pay 950 baht a month

for a slow service that delivers no more than 2 mbps at best . I tried Truemove but no 3g in my area .

However I have found now by upgrading my Samsung mobile phone to an unlimited 4mbps 3g and tethering direct to my laptop with a usb cable I can now

access the internet and can achieve 2-7 mbps through AIS at Robinsons in Surin . I will cancel the TOT service today with great pleasure ..

I suggest that you make your own enquiries to AIS or seek other ISPs that provide the best coverage in your area ref;mobile upgrade and make your choice.

I hope that this is of some help .

Good luck

i use AIS 3G air card, 21Mbps - that's 21 mega bits (not bytes) per second. we live 20 kms from the nearest town. it works great, and u can use it anywhere AIS has service in Thailand...

i paid 1000 baht for the air card (dongle)(flash drive), and signed up for the 12 Gigabytes per month (promotion - normally 8GB), 799 baht/month (it's actually unlimited, but after 12 gigs it slows down, but i've never used 12 GBs (or even 8), so i don't know how much it slows down after using ur quota).

anyway, it's quite fast, although at first i wasn't sure it would be enough Gigs, as i like to stream live video and TV shows, etc. from the US. but unless ur on 24 hours a day, it is more than sufficient.

i'm also pretty sure all companies (DTAC, True) have this, or something similar. it just depends on which signal is better in ur location.

good luck choosing.

Edited by ubeturazz

I am not far from Wang Nam Yen and the best (and only) service in my area is True 3g via a dongle. As the previous poster said it's very reliable and fast if you go for the 800 baht monthly with 5GB download.

However for my everyday surfing where very fast speed is not necessary their 59 baht a week, 512kbps is fine.

I have a problem and I do not know how to start a thread and this is the only one I could find that is close so I will start and see what happens.

someone is hacking my computer and my emails, and the emails I send are being copied and they are sending awful messages to the receipients,

this person claims to be an e girlfriend and says her cousin is a detective, then her father and brother. I changed my password then she accessed another account, it appears to have slowed now with the change of password but there is still plenty of activity trying to get in and guess or hack passwords.

I have some people who have been very offended and my accounts are at risk.

can anyone suggest what I should do, can I go to the police.

I have some IP addresses from the hackers and approx. locations

please help if you can

Desperate

i use AIS 3G air card, 21Mbps - that's 21 mega bits (not bytes) per second. we live 20 kms from the nearest town. it works great, and u can use it anywhere AIS has service in Thailand...

i paid 1000 baht for the air card (dongle)(flash drive), and signed up for the 12 Gigabytes per month (promotion - normally 8GB), 799 baht/month (it's actually unlimited, but after 12 gigs it slows down, but i've never used 12 GBs (or even 8), so i don't know how much it slows down after using ur quota).

anyway, it's quite fast, although at first i wasn't sure it would be enough Gigs, as i like to stream live video and TV shows, etc. from the US. but unless ur on 24 hours a day, it is more than sufficient.

i'm also pretty sure all companies (DTAC, True) have this, or something similar. it just depends on which signal is better in ur location.

good luck choosing.

Withregards to this post and that of

wjhall

I am pleased for you both but I believe that you cannot generalise and say that the dongle will always be that good , its very much to do with your location

and reception as I also know of others who suffer with poor dongle service . Bit of pot luck I think . I am very envious .

However , my update is that I went today to TOT and cancelled my dongle contract . I was then hit with " why don't you have fibre optic cable fitted with a

guarantees 13 mbps and no drop in the signal and unlimited for 599 baht a month " . They asked me why I was laughing and I said that I have been asking for

optics for months and you say you are always too busy . They are sending a technician to my house next week ( I will believe it when it happens )

OP have you checked out the pinned topic at the top of this forum for coverage maps ?

Hi Roland ,

Yes and I found that it was difficult to get all the info that I needed from the various providers as the translation to English is not always great but sort of

understandable . I prefer to talk face to face with a salesperson and that is what I did with Truemove in Surin . I bought a trial sim card with a new

telephone number to load into my samsung mobile which I then tethered to the laptop . Result , no access to 3g in my area Also there is another guy 100 yards

from my place and he has the same problem .We are both waiting for the fibre optic technician to make a survey of our location next week with fingers crossed . It

appears that TOT have the monopoly in my area and they know it .

Thanks ,

Superal

Maybe I am just lucky but I have been using True 3g on a dongle for over one year and thankfully have had no problems.

Where I live there is no other option at all. No phone line within 3 miles, no coverage from AIS or DTAC and none of the other options available so everyday i say thank you True!!!

I came back for a couple of weeks, knowing I'd be going to the mother-in-law's place in Amnat Charoen.

You can't even get a mobile signal downstairs inside, but I could leave the phone charging upstairs, and was getting better speeds than I get with ADSL in Bangkok (and at one point in the middle of the night, I noticed it hit 15Mbps - faster than my ADSL in the UK).

I simply got a 30-day SIM at the airport as a one off so it's an easy option to try out. I went with AIS as I knew they had better coverage in the area historically, but True has local shops so it would have probably worked too.

Edited by bkk_mike