Rogue malware coupondownloader firmly enterenched on all my browsers

AlexRRR

You did not mention what operating system your computer has. If it is Windows, click on the Start button, then on Control Panel, then on Uninstall a program. You get a new window with a list of all programs installed on your computer. Check if on the date when you downloaded the program you mentioned in the OP, another program also got installed. If there is one, it is likely the coupon downloader you want to get rid of.

Thanks but mate im not a babe when it comes to computers, im no expert but i know the basics of what to look for and where to unistall, i did say i went through my programs and features and unistalled everything i dont use and not reconized, did web searches looked at my 3 browsers tools, internet explorer the coupondownlader showed up there in extensions but showed it was disabled, did not show up in firefox or chrome or opera, i deleted both chrome and firefox reinstalled chrome and it was right back there.

I had 2 malware software on my pc neither picked it up even went to microsoft and did a scan with theres...nothing.

Hitmanpro did the trick, once the trail period is up i think i will pay for it.

Follow what ThaidDown posted. Also I suggest that you get Norton 360's latest. Good for Mac (Apple version sold separately). More expensive that the "fix your computer" sites and price is good for the year and offers free backup space.

Cant aggree with you on Norton, for years ive run one of the main 3, Mcfee was the latest it came for 2 ys as a package with my laptop.

I have spent more money on keeping 3 windows pc running than servicing 2 cars over the years to the point where i ditched my desktop pc and bought an Imac...

The only thing that keeps me with windows is i play a game that only runs on windows, i even bought a laptop 4 years ago just to keep my book work on hardly ever gets conected to the net as well.

A tech sugested micrsoft essentials its free and in the 18 months ive used it ive never had a virus, but this laptop i use has had to have its hard drive replaced twice in the 2.5 years ive owned it, it was a high end job and i needed it to run my game....

Ive even concidered buying a mac pro and putting windows on it but find it distasful to poluto the apple with such rubbish.

I wish i could get bored with my game so i can throw my windows laptops away but after 8 years it doesnt look like its going to happen.

I haven't thoroughly read all the posts, a lot of good advice. Has anyone mentioned the adblocker type add ons available for chrome and firefox?

Looking for the program by name and removing in the control panel (mentioned ) is a good first try, checking for unwanted addons in browser settings might show something.

Yes and Baidu is a PITA.

oops, you got it. Hitman eh? Thanks

Edited by thatguy

Follow what ThaidDown posted. Also I suggest that you get Norton 360's latest. Good for Mac (Apple version sold separately). More expensive that the "fix your computer" sites and price is good for the year and offers free backup space.

Cant aggree with you on Norton, for years ive run one of the main 3, Mcfee was the latest it came for 2 ys as a package with my laptop.

I have spent more money on keeping 3 windows pc running than servicing 2 cars over the years to the point where i ditched my desktop pc and bought an Imac...

The only thing that keeps me with windows is i play a game that only runs on windows, i even bought a laptop 4 years ago just to keep my book work on hardly ever gets conected to the net as well.

A tech sugested micrsoft essentials its free and in the 18 months ive used it ive never had a virus, but this laptop i use has had to have its hard drive replaced twice in the 2.5 years ive owned it, it was a high end job and i needed it to run my game....

Ive even concidered buying a mac pro and putting windows on it but find it distasful to poluto the apple with such rubbish.

I wish i could get bored with my game so i can throw my windows laptops away but after 8 years it doesnt look like its going to happen.

I hear ya. All I can say is that I am still running a 6 year old Dell and still using Vista and never hand a problem... not once. Maybe because I got it in the UK? Who the hell knows all I do know is that it runs and has been protected by Norton 360 for years and I have been safe. But as i have been a Apple user in the past, I simply got fed up with the cost of the units and the extra crap I had to buy or use just to open PC based files (I hated Open Office) I simply gave up on Apple. But again, I hear you!

The problem is that even though you may have deleted it, there will be a registry entry somewhere that will re-install it at boot up time. You need to boot into safe mode to delete the program and delete all the files in your Windows/Prefetch folder and then edit your registry file and delete all referrences to the program.

Are you kidding me?

Firstly, what has a mechanical hard drive failure got to do with Windows?

Secondly, the Windows o/s is used by millions of commercial users all over the world and if you were wanting to look for some information then it is cost effective to target Windows and not a small number of mac users!

Thirdly, the cost of a Mac would allow you to buy many Windows machines and upgrade the hardware cheaply, as well.

Fourthly, I've told you a million times - DON'T exaggerate! whistling.gif