Toyota may shift manufacturing hub for Fortuner from Thailand to Philippines

webfact

Toyota may shift manufacturing hub for Fortuner to PH
By Othel V. Campos

MANILA: -- Toyota Motor Corp. is studying the possible transfer of the regional manufacturing hub for Fortuner model from Thailand to the Philippines, an official of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry disclosed Wednesday.

PCCI president Alfredo Yao said Japanese car companies, including Toyota, plan to make the Philippines an alternative hub for automotive manufacturing.

Yao said during the recent Philippines-Thailand Business Council and Thailand-Philippines Business Council meeting that Toyota expressed interest in setting up or expanding operations in the Philippines to manage and spread risks.

“More than the incentives, which are fixed by the way, automotive manufacturers are looking for stability of production in the future,” PCCI president Alfredo Yao told reporters in an interview.

Yao said car manufacturers expressed concern over the lingering political instability and the vulnerability of Thailand to floods.

Full story: http://manilastandardtoday.com/2014/10/22/toyota-may-shift-manufacturing-hub-for-fortuner-to-ph/

-- Manila Standard Today 2014-10-28

• Like 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cost of labour only small portion of the car industry , they thinking Phillipines better let them try and I am sure 3-5 years they will back.

CAr industry not only labour but SME of small car componen which import into Phillipines make the costing much higher then in Thailand, the quality of work manship cannot compare in others countries.

He will know Thailand much safer compare with other Asean countries.

• Like 2

not to up to date but i think Philippines has equal albeit different natural disasters as Thailand so it must be something else which promotes thought for greener pastures could be an amalgamation of previous posters assumptions or just plain old chase the dollar

• Like 1

I see the Japanese women walking around everywhere with the kids in tow or bundled into a Baby Bjorn carrier. The men, however are soft (tee hee) and only travel by car and get dropped off at their Japanese only bars.

I doubt the Philippines is any safer

I always got impression that the Phillipines is quite a lot more unsafe than Thailandw00t.gif

Cost of labour only small portion of the car industry , they thinking Phillipines better let them try and I am sure 3-5 years they will back.

CAr industry not only labour but SME of small car componen which import into Phillipines make the costing much higher then in Thailand, the quality of work manship cannot compare in others countries.

I saw an interview some years ago on CNN with a VP of General Motors. He stated that the cost of manual labour in building their cars is about 7% of total cost, he was discussing the off-shoring of production.

Another thing to consider might be the persistent strength of the Baht in recent years? The very steep rise in the minimum in Thailand wage also (when it did my laundry people increased their prices by 60% - so I bought a washing machineannoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif) .

I notice, when I am in Vientiane Laos, that the new Fortuners that are imported there and are waiting to have the wax removed from them, have stickers that state 'Laem Chabang port - Made in Indonesia'. This presumably means that Thailand is not the only country producing Fortuners in ASEAN at this time.

Toyota has been making this threat for about a year to try to put pressure on the government.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/21/us-thailand-auto-toyota-idUSBREA0K00120140121

http://online.wsj.com/articles/toyota-sees-thailand-coup-as-turning-point-in-halting-sales-plunge-1406636889

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

I notice, when I am in Vientiane Laos, that the new Fortuners that are imported there and are waiting to have the wax removed from them, have stickers that state 'Laem Chabang port - Made in Indonesia'. This presumably means that Thailand is not the only country producing Fortuners in ASEAN at this time.

For sure assembled in Indonesia and I think Vietnam too. Thailand was just the first.

eir

I saw an interview some years ago on CNN with a VP of General Motors. He stated that the cost of manual labour in building their cars is about 7% of total cost, he was discussing the off-shoring of production.

Another thing to consider might be the persistent strength of the Baht in recent years? The very steep rise in the minimum in Thailand wage also (when it did my laundry people increased their prices by 60% - so I bought a washing machineannoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif) .

Talking of Laundry & Washing Machines. Siemens have closed down their washing machine factory north of Bangkok and moved production to India for many of the reasons stated above.

I see the Japanese women walking around everywhere with the kids in tow or bundled into a Baby Bjorn carrier. The men, however are soft (tee hee) and only travel by car and get dropped off at their Japanese only bars.

Having lived in the Philippines for over 8 years and now having lived here I can say that all I ever heard about Thailand being 20 years ahead of the PI in terms of infrastructure is quite true. Philippines is an expensive country with very high distribution costs. Electricity there was twice the price it is here, quality countrol is non existant and the corruption is as bad or worse than here. The country is not safe and health care might as well not exist. I had Japanese friends there. The wives were never allowed out unless going out with the company drivers. Philppines has a lot of catching up to do and that needs to start with the corrupt politicians.

I'm sure the Filipino cops could learn a thing or 2 about corruption from the Thais,and visa versa

I think it was Japan who first decided to try to manufacture in the major markets they sell in to avoid possible losses from currency fluctuations. They didn't want to be in the business of auto production and the business of currency speculation. Since then many other manufacturers have followed.

Off the top of my head, cars manufactured in the US include Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota pickups and Camrys, some Hondas, and even the Honda Goldwing motorcycle. General Motors manufactures cars right across the border in Canada. I'm sure the list is much longer.

Personal safety is not the issue. It's Thailand's indolence about preventable natural events what the Japanese are not willing to put up indefinitely.

In the 9th. Century, when Angkor Wat had a population of 1 million, the Khmer designed and built a water management system that would prevent floods from ravaging Angkor and have an adequate catchment of water for the dry season. The system albeit not used, is extant around Angkor.

Fast forward to today.

Thailand is yet to have an acceptable flood control system in place. They have had centuries to device, built and perfect it but... they will rely on improvised knee-jerk band-aids (giant sand bags, save Bangkok, flood other areas, etc.) Karma or on summoning the wisdom of their ancestors in a coffin to help them.

But to do what is necessary to at least reduce the effects of floods on industry, commerce and life seems to be absent in the Thai psyche.

Thais have an elevated sense of self importance and that prevents them from using Dutch age old proven methods of water management. Ask the Dutch for help and Thailand will get the best know-how in the world and many years of successfully not only controlling floods, but also reclaiming land from the waters of the ocean. .

Will Thailand ever do that?

Never!!! Losing face is more important than losses that a flood can cause.

Whether this happens or not is debatable , the re-tooling costs alone would make a Scotsman cry, Toyota haven't been awash with corporate success these last few years, however nothing like a large investor letting the Thai Administration know where it stands , my call for more disposable income for Thai workers wouldn't be worth a nats nuts and relocating to the Philippines, really , would it be an advantage , they have their fair share of problems, however perhaps they work for cheaper wages than Thailand, now for the Corporate world that's an advantage not to be missed, piss-in on the low class. coffee1.gif

Personal safety is not the issue. It's Thailand's indolence about preventable natural events what the Japanese are not willing to put up indefinitely.

In the 9th. Century, when Angkor Wat had a population of 1 million, the Khmer designed and built a water management system that would prevent floods from ravaging Angkor and have an adequate catchment of water for the dry season. The system albeit not used, is extant around Angkor.

Fast forward to today.

Thailand is yet to have an acceptable flood control system in place. They have had centuries to device, built and perfect it but... they will rely on improvised knee-jerk band-aids (giant sand bags, save Bangkok, flood other areas, etc.) Karma or on summoning the wisdom of their ancestors in a coffin to help them.

But to do what is necessary to at least reduce the effects of floods on industry, commerce and life seems to be absent in the Thai psyche.

Thais have an elevated sense of self importance and that prevents them from using Dutch age old proven methods of water management. Ask the Dutch for help and Thailand will get the best know-how in the world and many years of successfully not only controlling floods, but also reclaiming land from the waters of the ocean. .

Will Thailand ever do that?

Never!!! Losing face is more important than losses that a flood can cause.

Yes, I would love to know where this sense of self-importance comes from? Certainly not their academic background or international achievements

• Like 2

This has to be a post from the government.

• Like 2