Restoring my lost dtac simcard

Grienders2

I've lost my phone with a dtac simcard in Indonesia where I currently am. The simcard was used for Kasikorn internet bank also. It's also registered at dtac.co.th. I don't remember, though, if I bought it using my passport or not. I want to get its number back and there's somebody in Thailand who can help me. I don't want to come to Thailand only because of that, even so I could.

So can he do that for me or am I the only one who can? Does he need the copy of my passport on top on the information about the last top up, sms, calls, active balance? Has anybody done that before?

Maybe you should just email DTAC and ask for guidance/assistance? [email protected] Obviously include as much detail as possible.

I think it is relatively easy to get a new SIM, and link it to an existing number/account. But you have to prove you are the "owner", which might require registration, but often just proof of activity (recent top-ups, etc) is enough to prove ownership.

Sometimes they ask for a police report, but they are many reports of this requirement being loosely enforced.

• Like 2

Maybe you should just email DTAC and ask for guidance/assistance? [email protected] Obviously include as much detail as possible.

I think it is relatively easy to get a new SIM, and link it to an existing number/account. But you have to prove you are the "owner", which might require registration, but often just proof of activity (recent top-ups, etc) is enough to prove ownership.

Sometimes they ask for a police report, but they are many reports of this requirement being loosely enforced.

When I left my sim in another country by accident I was able to get a new one without a police report so it can be done. I would think the issue is whether they will do it via a third party but as Iomatopo says your best bet is to contact DTAC direct.

Ask DTAC. My recent experience with AIS is that if you are prepay then you need a police report regardless if you're registered. Postpay does not require. I was a little peeved at that time so I switched to True. They said the same thing. This was less than a month ago. Apparently, the rules have changed or they are enforcing an existing law. I remember less than a year ago when I could get a replacement sim with the same phone number without all the hassle. Good luck. A simple phone call will give you all the info needed

Did you declare your identity when you bought it?

You said you cannot remember but I think it is important.

Otherwise you are going to be asking for a number they think is still in use.

And a Thai police report is required.

I also feel using a 3rd party is difficult.

Thought I had lost my phone so the first thing I did was go to the DTAC shop in Big C Sukumvit in Pattaya and after a few cursory questions they issued me a new pre paid SIM card for around 40 THB and even restored the credit that was still left on my account

Fortunately all my contacts were in the phone and not on the SIM card so I was instantly back in business. Easy, but I don't think you can do it remotely from a foreign country

Eventually found the missing phone, so just put the new SIM in that phone and all was well

• Like 1

I understand that AIS want a police report (if you were a AIS user, which you are not), but the last time I did this in a DTAC shop it took about 30 seconds and no ID was ever asked for.

The person asking in the DTAC shop should however know approx. when the last call was made and know a couple of phone numbers that you called recently.

Edited by technologybytes

Unfortunately a police report is required to reclaim your number, whether a third person can act on your behalf I don't know.

Not so. Just email them with a scanned ID and they will send a new SIM to your address overseas.

• 2 weeks later...

I email them to feedback thac ... but they still didn't reply.

Actually, that man who I want to help me to replace my simcard, I've never met in person. Even if I did meet him and he was my friend, I'd still ask: do you all think it's safe to give someone my personal details about my simcard so they can get a new one for me? If they get the new simcard and for some reason they'd decide not send it to me, I'd never get my number back, right? Because even if I later block it again, they'd able to unlock it by themselves, right?

So unless I completely trust the person I shouldn't do that - ask them to replace my simcard.

• 8 years later...

kindly excuse bump but my dtac sim lost , is it poss to get same number replaced, i realize  may need re register with passport etc, but is it possible please?

I can drive to a DTAC dealer once back

Edited by RubbaJohnny
follow

4 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

kindly excuse bump but my dtac sim lost , is it poss to get same number replaced, i realize  may need re register with passport etc, but is it possible please?

I can drive to a DTAC dealer once back

If it still has validity and hasn’t expired, yes. Just take your passport to a service centre. If it’s a SIM you haven’t utilised for years, no.