British stars speak out against dog-meat trade's cruelty: Thailand

webfact

I fail to see the problem, we eat cows, pigs, chicken, horses, goats, rabbits, fish, etc. what's so different about dogs?

Let these people lend their names for better causes like the many woman that are sold in Thailand, the kids that don't go to school and have to work, the modern slavery, HIV, etc. etc. than this nonsense.

Would like to invite the dog butcher to come to our village and clean it up!

Edited by recycler
  • Like 1

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Menace or not, no living thing should be treated like these dogs are. Now, I wonder if these stars can put some energy behind human trafficking, child sexual abuse. Reminds me of Doris Day buying a dog from a homeless man to give it a home but not helping the man.

• Like 1

People eat meat. Some people eat dog meat. Why is it that people that are always going on about tolerance seem determined to force the world to adopt their ways? Next thing, they'll be going after the French for eating rabbits.

It's not about what people eat but how the animals are treated and killed. Why can't you get this through your thick head! The Chinese, Vietnamese and apparently Thais go out of their way to dispatch the dogs in the cruelest way possible.

• Like 2

It is amazing to me that people would think of speaking out against a valid food source, yet say nothing about cruelty towards humans; child labor, child abuse, slavery of migrants. I believe that humans should be first before animals. If it means that humans eat animals to gain protein, so much the better for both animals and humans.

Read my post above about human culling. And who says the same people protesting the barbaric treatment of dogs isn't also concerned about other issues in this world!

Every time I see an article like this, and 'stars' getting their panties in a bunch because dogs or horses are mistreated here or there, I think of one amazing documentary film called 'Food Inc.' by Robert Kenner (2008).

This film exposes the reality behind the food we consume and the lovely labels, including the way edible animals are treated from birth to slaughter, and that is beyond shocking.

It doesn't mean that mistreating dogs is OK, the question is simply : what's the difference between a pet and a non-pet animal ? The answer is : Human sentimentality. Which has nothing to do with true compassion.

These actors are exasperating do-gooders working on their image because their image is their capital, that's why their generous NGOs and Foundations are sometimes called the charity business.

I agree with Yann55 and clearly these do-gooders have never had a good Labrador burger in their lives.

But it has to be someone else's Labrador, not yours ???

It looks like Mr Whatawonderfulday has a Labrador and a sense of humor. It also looks like you have only the Labrador.

My sense of humour is up amongst the best. BUT not on topics like this. This is about caring for animals, and all some people do is blame the dogs, or in your case make a joke about a pet being stolen off the street and starved to death in cages on 500 kilometer trips.

Save the Labrador joke for some other time, sorry -but action needs to be taken.

Example, I took a lovely dog to the vet to terminate it's pregnancy, The answer was. SORRY it is against the Thai law to do this. From a vet ???

What chance have the dogs/Thais got with this law in place.

This is near to the truth. No wonder Thai are not concerned about hurt and suffering of dogs, At a Thai cremation near everyone has DRY eyes.

Most cannot teach and take care of their kids properly. Caring is a word that is not operable much in Thailand.

BUT when Thais do care they are fantastic.

they care about their CARS they shower them every day,they dry them,they give them a nice wax coat,and shine them,buy little toys to hang on the inside and when their tire's are worn they buy new ones.

as for anything else they love counting money.

• Like 1

Menace or not, no living thing should be treated like these dogs are. Now, I wonder if these stars can put some energy behind human trafficking, child sexual abuse. Reminds me of Doris Day buying a dog from a homeless man to give it a home but not helping the man.

How much did she pay?

If they lived in a soi with 30+ soi dogs they'd be singing a different tune.

It's one of the worst parts of living here! I like to walk and ride a bike. You do that at your own peril!

I think it is one of the main reasons why Thai people never walk or do any exercise

The govt needs to cull lots of these mangy dogs and give the streets back to the people.

As I sit here now I can hear 2/3 barking and snarling outside!

It's one thing to condone the legal culling of stray soi dogs (to which I wholeheartedly agree because they annoy the crap out of me as well), its another to condone the barbarous torture of caged dogs. As pointed out in the video, of which some were once probably loved pets. Can you imagine the suffering these animals go through ? Or is that speaking to unsympathetic commentators of little empathy.

Thais seem to have little if an knowledge of how to treat or care for animals . In Fact Thais have little consideration for humans who are not their family .

When we westerners speak of " A Dogs Life ", we mean it is pretty bad ; but in no way compares to the suffering of dogs in Thailand .

Many Thais in north east Thailand are very poor , poverty is a state of mind and it is in that context that dogs seem so poorly treated .

My village used to be scoured for dogs to sell for dog meat . I recall being very upset when a friends dog disappeared , I nearly went to Sakon Nakhon to try to find it .

People in this region will eat anything , all the things that westerners would never consider eating , or would consign to the waste bin in preparation .

I believe most of southeast Asia eats dog including Japan , though only a small region in Thailand . I believe the transportation of dogs crammed into lorries so tightly that many die in transit has been stopped .

I recently read that a truck with dog meat had been stopped . When I drive around north east Thailand , I am shocked by the numbers of emaciated stray dogs I see scouring the countryside for food .

If a dog suddenly crosses the road in front of one's car and is run over , that is really a kindness to put it out of its misery .

Our village has more and more dogs that nobody properly feeds or cares for , that live by turning out everones dusbin , who bark and howl far into the night .

Nobody will claim ownership of a dog unless it gets killed and they want to claim money in recompense .

Villages should have their own system of culling .

This is near to the truth. No wonder Thai are not concerned about hurt and suffering of dogs, At a Thai cremation near everyone has DRY eyes.

Most cannot teach and take care of their kids properly. Caring is a word that is not operable much in Thailand.

BUT when Thais do care they are fantastic.

they care about their CARS they shower them every day,they dry them,they give them a nice wax coat,and shine them,buy little toys to hang on the inside and when their tire's are worn they buy new ones.

as for anything else they love counting money.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif would you buy a second hand car from a Thai ??? The rain washes their cars------a wax coat ?? Thais would think it's a waterproof jacket...............They re tread old tyres or buy second hand ones. They love squandering money, it all goes down the bottomless pit.thumbsup.gif

Yes, they are a menace and need controlling somehow.

However, it's the way the animals are treated, the excessive cruelty, that is the issue.

There are ways of doing things that do not involve the foul way these animals are treated.

And of course, pigs, cattle and chickens are treated like gods before we eat them. Do any of these British stars eat meat?

Thais seem to have little if an knowledge of how to treat or care for animals . In Fact Thais have little consideration for humans who are not their family .

When we westerners speak of " A Dogs Life ", we mean it is pretty bad ; but in no way compares to the suffering of dogs in Thailand .

Many Thais in north east Thailand are very poor , poverty is a state of mind and it is in that context that dogs seem so poorly treated .

My village used to be scoured for dogs to sell for dog meat . I recall being very upset when a friends dog disappeared , I nearly went to Sakon Nakhon to try to find it .

People in this region will eat anything , all the things that westerners would never consider eating , or would consign to the waste bin in preparation .

I believe most of southeast Asia eats dog including Japan , though only a small region in Thailand . I believe the transportation of dogs crammed into lorries so tightly that many die in transit has been stopped .

I recently read that a truck with dog meat had been stopped . When I drive around north east Thailand , I am shocked by the numbers of emaciated stray dogs I see scouring the countryside for food .

If a dog suddenly crosses the road in front of one's car and is run over , that is really a kindness to put it out of its misery .

Our village has more and more dogs that nobody properly feeds or cares for , that live by turning out everones dusbin , who bark and howl far into the night .

Nobody will claim ownership of a dog unless it gets killed and they want to claim money in recompense .

Villages should have their own system of culling .

Have you noticed Thais love puppies UNTIL they get bigger then they are a menace.

• Like 2

Once again the people in the UK are bamboozled by misinformation and celebrity. Admittedly the main concern is the cruelty but i strongly suspect that half a million people would sign a petition based on the simple fact of eating dogs alone. They are frankly absurdly sentimental when it comes to dogs and cats in particular but also to horses as the horse meat scandal showed. For once i agree with many of the posters here about the menace of dogs. Many people die here from rabies...i wonder if the British appreciate this fact and in their over protected country also realise that on rabies case in their country would result in the biggest news story imaginable and I am quite sure the ritualistic culling of virtually every creature in the vicinity, as has been done in the past. Of course while some people eat dogs here, as some eat rats, this trade is overwhelmingly for places like Vietnam and driven by economics. I would instigate a public awareness program here and if funds allow a massive culling and preferably not for sale either. Dogs are indeed a public heath hazard in the sois, but it needs to be sorted by people who understand the situation here not by do gooding celebrities from a country 8000 kms away who frankly haven't got the first clue.

• Like 1

bruceybonus, on 30 Oct 2014 - 06:28, said:
Puyai, on 30 Oct 2014 - 06:12, said:

It's one of the worst parts of living here! I like to walk and ride a bike. You do that at your own peril!

I think it is one of the main reasons why Thai people never walk or do any exercise

The govt needs to cull lots of these mangy dogs and give the streets back to the people.

As I sit here now I can hear 2/3 barking and snarling outside!

Why blame the dogs???

Government would do better to cull the people (mainly Asian) who take on an adorable puppy then throw away the dog.

• Like 2

Some people eat pork, others have pet pigs. Let everyone do as they like. But regulate how animals for human consumption are kept and slaughtered.

Also for pet dogs the mandatory collars, tags and chips are a very good idea.

"Also for pet dogs the mandatory collars, tags and chips are a very good idea."

You're right but in order not to confuse the issue here I think it should be made clear that in some countries chips are referred to as french fries, and a bit of ketchup helps also.

Some people eat pork, others have pet pigs. Let everyone do as they like. But regulate how animals for human consumption are kept and slaughtered.

Also for pet dogs the mandatory collars, tags and chips are a very good idea.

"Also for pet dogs the mandatory collars, tags and chips are a very good idea."

You're right but in order not to confuse the issue here I think it should be made clear that in some countries chips are referred to as french fries, and a bit of ketchup helps also.

Shitzu & chips anyone?

• Like 1

BSJ, on 30 Oct 2014 - 06:46, said:

Soi dogs are indeed a major problem in a lot of areas. So catching and selling them for dog meat is an idea that should be encouraged.

BSJ....Once a bell*** always a bell*** .

Edited by hugh2121
  • Like 1

bruceybonus, on 30 Oct 2014 - 07:00, said:
Bluespunk, on 30 Oct 2014 - 06:50, said:
Puyai, on 30 Oct 2014 - 06:12, said:

Yes, they are a menace and need controlling somehow.

However, it's the way the animals are treated, the excessive cruelty, that is the issue.

There are ways of doing things that do not involve the foul way these animals are treated.

There needs to be a nationwide culling of the dogs and then a system put in place where stray dogs are taken off the streets. However, much like the West, people need to be held personally responsible for looking after their dogs.

Most dogs that go into rescues in USA/UK end up being euthanised anyway!

Battersea and many other UK dog rescue centres NEVER euthanize a healthy animal.

People are the problem, soi dogs are only trying to survive.

• Like 2

I have seen dogs crammed into cages howling and crying outside a Hanoi restaurant waiting to be clubbed to death.

They probably came from Thailand where any criminal activity, no matter how barbarous, is actively supported by police and other corrupt government officials.

Edited by Dogmatix

There would be many more Vegans and Vegetarians if people knew what was going on in slaughter houses. Purchasing neatly packaged meat from supermarkets, does somehow distance people from the cruelty that goes on in these places. But, it is rather hypocritical to purchase meat products yet, condemn the butcher, for supplying the meat. While the consumption of animals will never stop (not in my lifetime) hopefully their barbaric treatment will improve.

• Like 1

hmm, the usual - our set of values in the West are superior to your set of values in the East. Why doesn't she speak up about the cruel treatment of cows or pigs or chickens in Britain? But then it's ok to raise those animals in mass inhumane farms, kill them and eat those animals, but just not dogs......

• Like 2

Seriously, with all the problems in the world celebs get together to help with this???? Hardly Bob Geldof's live aid is it, could think of thousands of things that need the media attention more than this.

Thats right Jeremy, cos Ebola is never talked about is it? Or the fact Islamic lunatics are beheading innocent people in the name of their god. Oh hang on, we never hear of the Ukraine airplane anymore do we, or the one went in to the ocean, presumably.

So <deleted> has other problems around the globe to do with the fact dogs, soi or not, are being treated with huge cruelty in a land that supposedly doesn't eat their meat and is also strongly Buddhist?