Useful insiders tips for travellers visiting ChiangMai

Mcffee

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is ultimately misleading and should be ignored, if not closed.

Please forgive me for disagreeing with you, but this topic is EXACTLY what newcomers to Chiang Mai can benefit from. I wish there was some sort of list available when I first moved to Chiang Mai, something with specifics about the town rather than the generalities that I found. The problem is people taking it OFF topic, arguing about the location of a shipping shop rather than suggesting that there is one in the Night Bazaar area and yet another just inside Thapae Gate up about 20m on the left when facing west.

Doi Suthep is on the west side. Pretty common knowledge to those of us who live here, but it takes newcomers a few weeks or months to work the kinks out of our usual directional landmarks, the ones we use all the time to tell people how to find the area they are looking for,

Around town;

Chiang Puak Gate is on the north side, its road leads north to Mae Rim

Chiang Mai Gate is on the south side, and the road across from it is where the Saturday Night Street Market is held. That's 'Wualai Road,' aka 'The Silver Street. There is a VERY complete electric shop down this road a few hundred meters from the moat, used by the electrical contractors.

Thapae Gate is on the East side, and has a large plaza where the Sunday Market it held, as well as many different events during the year.

Suthep Gate is on the West side, and it's road leads towards the mountain (Doi Suthep aka 'the mountain) and many medical facilities,

The U.N. Irish Pub A friendly meeting place just a hundred steps from the moat on the east side of the Old City, on Ratchvithi Road. It's remarkable how many directions start with 'From the UN Irish Pub go three streets further into ...'

Tessco Lotus is on the Superhighway, behind it is the huge gardening and pet center called Khantiem Market

Panthip Plaza- a computer and camera shopping mall is on the corner of Changklan Road and Sri Donchai Road south-east of the Old City, and Icon Square and Computer Plaza are just across the street from the moat near the north-west corner.

Rimping Supernarkets, Tops Markets, Kassem's Store, Macro, Big C Extra, all navigation landmarks we use when giving directions.

New folks... Learn these names, and learn their locations, This knowledge will still be helping you even after you've lived here 20 years...

And 'old' folks, lets make this thread the best list of all the tips and tricks we've learned. There is no doubt we've learned a fair share. If you are tempted to make some disparaging remarks... don't. Control yourselves. You not little kids any more. No need to act like one,'

What would make compilations like this a lot more useful would be inclusion of GPS addresses.

For some it would for the rest of us useless. Better off with a decent map where the names of streets are printed in readable English. Not just the major ones.

I would recommend one change or call it addition to folk guitars list I would also say Pantip Plaza is on the south West corner of the Night Bazaar. It may be crappy but to new comers it is probably high on their list of things to see and one every form of transportation in Chiang Mai will know the way to with out directions. From it you can direct people to LaKroh road and the Iron bridge. Also easy to find the old city if they want both in the same night. Or Mad Dog which also has a bit of a reputation.

Good project Mcffee smile.png

Those kind of things are what I like to try and feature on my map, too. No time to write now but I'll contribute some items for you.

What kind of map are you working on?

It's pinned at the top of this forum.

Nice, very good job! It's fun to check out what's under all the pins and there is so many new things to discover, I like it.

- Do you know the stationary + art supplies shop on the road passing the entrance of the train station, estimated 100 metres after the trainstation?

- The professional silk screen t-shirt printers between Narawat Bridge and 'The Best Nut & Bolt Shop In Town'.

- The 'shop where they cut all kinds of letters and logo's out of wood', Road to Sankampaeng between 1st and 2nd ringroad, about 300 metres from the inner ringroad, left side.

Question, a few years ago there was a young couple at the Sundays Walking Street, near the end opposite Prasing temple. They made unique custom logo's cut out of steel plate, finished with a chromium layer and embedded colors. They made a few items for me, but later they were gone and never seen them again.

Perhaps does anybody know where they have a shop or workplace? The things they made were really unique and never seen it elsewere, I would like to get in tough with them again...

Edited by Mcffee

I always bring friends and visitors to Lam Duan Khao Soy

The older unit near to Embassy Condo just beyond that 4th bridge is a nice nostalgic place to have a good lunch when visitors arrive after a short flight into the airport

There are pictures framed up with nice pictures of the King and palace and some celebrity shots and old pictures of chiang Mai

The food is good quality and inexpensive and sitting there in the non air conditioned place with all the vendors coming in/out always brings back memories of eating at the best places in south east Asia are often family run businesses

Friends from bigger cities have often commented that is the perfect start to Chiang Mai ...if you know the right spots the place is still serene and beautifully quiet.

Please forgive me for disagreeing with you, but this topic is EXACTLY what newcomers to Chiang Mai can benefit from. I wish there was some sort of list available when I first moved to Chiang Mai, something with specifics about the town rather than the generalities that I found. The problem is people taking it OFF topic, arguing about the location of a shipping shop rather than suggesting that there is one in the Night Bazaar area and yet another just inside Thapae Gate up about 20m on the left when facing west.

Doi Suthep is on the west side. Pretty common knowledge to those of us who live here, but it takes newcomers a few weeks or months to work the kinks out of our usual directional landmarks, the ones we use all the time to tell people how to find the area they are looking for,

Around town;

Chiang Mai Gate is on the south side, and the road across from it is where the Saturday Night Street Market is held. That's 'Wualai Road,' aka 'The Silver Street. There is a VERY complete electric shop down this road a few hundred meters from the moat, used by the electrical contractors.

Thapae Gate is on the East side, and has a large plaza where the Sunday Market it held, as well as many different events during the year.

Suthep Gate is on the West side, and it's road leads towards the mountain (Doi Suthep aka 'the mountain) and many medical facilities,

The U.N. Irish Pub A friendly meeting place just a hundred steps from the moat on the east side of the Old City, on Ratchvithi Road. It's remarkable how many directions start with 'From the UN Irish Pub go three streets further into ...'

Tessco Lotus is on the Superhighway, behind it is the huge gardening and pet center called Khantiem Market

Panthip Plaza- a computer and camera shopping mall is on the corner of Changklan Road and Sri Donchai Road south-east of the Old City, and Icon Square and Computer Plaza are just across the street from the moat near the north-west corner.

Rimping Supernarkets, Tops Markets, Kassem's Store, Macro, Big C Extra, all navigation landmarks we use when giving directions.

New folks... Learn these names, and learn their locations, This knowledge will still be helping you even after you've lived here 20 years...

And 'old' folks, lets make this thread the best list of all the tips and tricks we've learned. There is no doubt we've learned a fair share. If you are tempted to make some disparaging remarks... don't. Control yourselves. You not little kids any more. No need to act like one,'

What would make compilations like this a lot more useful would be inclusion of GPS addresses.

Might be better if nobody needed GPS to understand those basics. But that is just a dream since so many folks these days can not seem to find the toilet without GPS.

And what about that crutch for sissies called maps? And don't even get me started on the morale-sapping effects of those newfangled magnetic compasses. I was just kidding about GPS. All I really need to find my way are landmarks like big trees and oddly shaped rocks. Things have really gone downhill since the end of the Stone Age. I wouldn't be surprised if Dante99 has directions for how to find our way back there..

Edited by quidnunc

.... this topic is EXACTLY what newcomers to Chiang Mai can benefit from. I wish there was some sort of list available when I first moved to Chiang Mai, something with specifics about the town rather than the generalities that I found. The problem is people taking it OFF topic, arguing about the location of a shipping shop rather than suggesting that there is one in the Night Bazaar area and yet another just inside Thapae Gate up about 20m on the left when facing west.

Around town;

Might be better if nobody needed GPS to understand those basics. But that is just a dream since so many folks these days can not seem to find the toilet without GPS.

And what about that crutch for sissies called maps? And don't even get me started on the morale-sapping effects of those newfangled magnetic compasses. I was just kidding about GPS. All I really need to find my way are landmarks like big trees and oddly shaped rocks. Things have really gone downhill since the end of the Stone Age. I wouldn't be surprised if Dante99 has directions for how to find our way back there..

Stone age? To find it just come over for a visit, that is where I live.

Around town;

First thing I did on arrival in CM was to buy the Nancy Chandler map of CM and surrounds. Obviously it dates and places open and close but its got a mine of info included..

Unfortuantly it doesn't show public toilets ,are there any ? but that's what malls and pubs are for !

• Like 2

Tips for travelers?

If you're taking a min-van to Pai from Chiang Mai, take motion sickness pills at least an hour before you get in the van. The road to Pai from Chiang Mai is a stomach-churning nausea-inducing blood-pressure-increasing 130 kilometer-long nightmare for a mini-van passenger. The road has 762 hairpin turns and is one of the most dangerous stretches in all of Thailand.

Even if you've NEVER been car sick before, take motion sickness pills at least an hour before you get in the van. And bring some extra plastic bags for the people who think they don't need to take motion sickness pills at least an hour before they get in the van. There will always be at least two of them.

Hubby and I flew to Pai back when Nok Air operated that single engine, high-wing Cessna aircraft. At first, I was a little leery of going via single-engine craft, but it was a spectacular trip. They followed the road (without all the twists and turns) and the view was crystal clear -- beautiful and green, right about this time of year at the end of rainy season. It was money well spent. Is any airline currently flying scheduled service between CM and Pai?

• Like 1

Tips for travelers?

If you're taking a min-van to Pai from Chiang Mai, take motion sickness pills at least an hour before you get in the van. The road to Pai from Chiang Mai is a stomach-churning nausea-inducing blood-pressure-increasing 130 kilometer-long nightmare for a mini-van passenger. The road has 762 hairpin turns and is one of the most dangerous stretches in all of Thailand.

Even if you've NEVER been car sick before, take motion sickness pills at least an hour before you get in the van. And bring some extra plastic bags for the people who think they don't need to take motion sickness pills at least an hour before they get in the van. There will always be at least two of them.

Hubby and I flew to Pai back when Nok Air operated that single engine, high-wing Cessna aircraft. At first, I was a little leery of going via single-engine craft, but it was a spectacular trip. They followed the road (without all the twists and turns) and the view was crystal clear -- beautiful and green, right about this time of year at the end of rainy season. It was money well spent. Is any airline currently flying scheduled service between CM and Pai?

http://www.kanairlines.com/main/

• Like 1

When you want a bit of animal relief without paying the fees of the night safari ...just drive to the car park with some vegetables or bread ...lots of friendly deer ...there is also an aviary there I like

There is no entrance fee for that and just pay 30baht for a bag of bird food and watch all the love birds fly to your hands for some feeding fun

The park at the night safari area is also a peaceful spot in the early evening time

Good fun for an hour at night to relax

• Like 1

When you want a bit of animal relief without paying the fees of the night safari ...just drive to the car park with some vegetables or bread ...lots of friendly deer ...there is also an aviary there I like

There is no entrance fee for that and just pay 30baht for a bag of bird food and watch all the love birds fly to your hands for some feeding fun

The park at the night safari area is also a peaceful spot in the early evening time

"When you want a bit of animal relief without paying the fees of the night safari [Night Safari]... just drive to the car park..."

That sounds like something a family of pikeys would do.

Shame on you Lawerence! Either pay and go in, or give the place a miss.

Tips for travelers?

Oh, it looks like Kan Air ended up with the single-engine Cessna, too! That is one great plane for sightseeing, what with the high wings and slow speed.

Here's OP's original request:

Hello, I am collecting all the 'Useful insiders tips for travellers visiting ChiangMai' that I discovered in the past 20 years, about unknown but sometimes very useful, or just remarkable things, that are unknown to visitors. One example is 'Mister Boxmaker', the friendly elderly man who, together with his brother has a shop right next to the main postoffice. His brother has a car tire-service in front, and he makes custom cupboard boxes in the backside.

He does really good job and it is a pleasure to watch him doing this, he always has a stock of materials, carboard, foam chips, styropor board, bubble wrap etc. to make any kind of box you need for very low prices. Visitors always go to the small shipping services in the Nightbazar area that charge sometimes 800-1000b for a crappy box made of used material, but the Boxmaker makes very strong ones using only new materials for 60-120b. This man is really a chem, made lots and lots of boxes for me and friends. Beside, he also passioned with making a kind of music instruments -forgot what exactly- and he loves to talk about it. Who knows other more or less 'secret' unique things like services, restaurants, places, people etc. in ChiangMai that may not be mentioned in the popular travel guides?

So far, there hasn't been much to offer in the way of useful "insider" tips, but there has been some friendly general advice. The best general suggestion IMO was to get the latest Nancy Chandler map. (I regret to add that she might have done her last edition!) And I liked one real insider hint about packing some dramamine for road trips to Pai. You might include traveling to the top of Doi Suthep in a songtaew, too!

The airplane ride to Pai is something not ordinarily done and sounds like fun. There's a guy who does light-air and hot air balloon flights, too, as I recall (without looking) East of town. Again, taking some dramamine would be excellent insider advice.

Edited by Mapguy

Tips for travelers?

I had never flown in a small passenger plane. we took them to Mai Sot and I would suggest it is a trip worth experiencing. I see they no longer fly to Mai Sot. Tried to lookup fares to Pai but every thing I put in said sold out. I guesses if I really wanted to I could go to their office on the outside of the South moat near the last u turn into the inside of the moat.

Insiders tip: when visiting nightbazar in the evening, you can park your car or moped for free inside the parking building behind McDonalds. If you show the ticket at the McDonalds counter, the staff will put a stamp on it without asking anything, which gives you a limited time free parking.

Can be useful if you only carrying a stack or 500 Euro bills in your pocket.

Edited by Mcffee

"When you want a bit of animal relief without paying the fees of the night safari [Night Safari]... just drive to the car park..."

Hahahah no shame at all ...someone's you just don't want to go in and see all the animals ..this is a quick and quirky thing to do at night like a pre dinner wow for guests

You should see the grief the 30baht legions gave me the last time when I suggested the Fujian :)

Hahahah no shame at all ...someone's you just don't want to go in and see all the animals ..this is a quick and quirky thing to do at night like a pre dinner wow for guests

You should see the grief the 30baht legions gave me the last time when I suggested the Fujian smile.png

No offence was meant Lawrence, and I'm glad you didn't take any. Just a little foolish banter on my part.

Good luck with your legions.

• Like 1

I like the area behind the royal flora turn. It has some river streams and nice cafes ...the best part ...due to the location it seems no wifi is permeable ...it's a real quiet spot to disconnect with the digital world and be with conversations and speaking with each other

The cafe and food is decent and the prices not high

Most supermarkets have deliveries and unlike some places , the deliveries are very personable and for a small tip they will bring it all the way to wherever you would like it stored

This is a major convenience for those who are more elderly and may have difficulty carrying heavy bags home or even from the gate where they are normally dropped off

• Like 2

I like the area behind the royal flora turn. It has some river streams and nice cafes ...the best part ...due to the location it seems no wifi is permeable ...it's a real quiet spot to disconnect with the digital world and be with conversations and speaking with each other

Where is this exactly??

Where is this exactly??

Oops the directional question ...will try to get gps coordinates and post here

It's kind of disappointing how little Chiangmai Insiders Tips are added here, I really can't believe that the thousands of expats living in and around Chiangmai don't have more useful information to share. Your experience will be of great value to others!

It's kind of disappointing how little Chiangmai Insiders Tips are added here, I really can't believe that the thousands of expats living in and around Chiangmai don't have more useful information to share. Your experience will be of great value to others!

Perhaps the problem is in your topic sentence... 'advice for 'travelers' to Chiang Mai. Perhaps you might amend that to read

"Insider's Tips for people newly arriving for long stay in Chiang Mai.' That may garner a few more.

Learn Thai then you can take care of yourself and will not have to rely on the thousands of expats living in and around Chiangmai who have useful information to share.

It is not that they do not have useful information but they have little interest in sharing it with wise ass newcomers who think they are entitled to something for nothing and are disappointed when others do not satisfy their needs.