taking thai gf to country where im not a citizen

Think this impossible, especially to countries like USA, but here is my question. I'm AU. Just recently took the Thai gf to AU (we are going back for January)

Anyway she comes out with this.."can we go to America one day" ....I said well I can but don't you will be able to get a visa...... I started thinking where could I take her.

Might add that her visa to AU was her first trip out of Thailand. So is the short answer ....bloody hard/impossible? Thanks

I think you are wrong, it could be argued that it might be more problematical to obtain a visa for a girlfriend or partner for a country where you are a are a citizen, especially the USA.

If you were an American Citizen and wanted to take your girlfriend there for a visit, anecdotal evidence suggests that the Consular Officer might believe, rightly or wrongly, that your girlfriend was, with your help, attempting to circumnavigate the proper procedure for settling in the US, especially if you were living in the US yourself.

If you, as an Australian Citizen, wanted to visit the US with your girlfriend I see no reason why she wouldn't be issued a visa, especially if you and her could prove your ties to Thailand.

• Like 2

She applies on her own. Just make sure she has all the bases covered. (Not going there for a different reason). A job, children who live here, substantial money in the bank here, ownership of property, etc....will help.

Some countries do not require visas...some do.... You can just google that question. I came up with a pretty big list, last year.

I was dealing with the same issue but it is opposite, I am an American who would like to take my wife to AUS...when we have the money for the trip, then I will start the process for maybe tourist visa interview...I would also like to be able to take her to Canada when I go with her to visit USA next

I am a U.S. citizen and in the process of obtaining a visitor visa for my GF. In the past few days I have been gathering documentation and filling out the forms. After completion, the GF will go through a mock interview process with a visa facilitator. We intend to apply at the end of November with a Dec/ Jan interview. I will post the results here whether successful or not.

Girlfriend/now wife had no problem applying for visa's for many countries. We never used any agencies just did as instructed by the web sites (it was very straight forward, though a pain collating info)

Buck 99 -what exactly is a mock interview process? Is this done in Thailand?

I plan to send her to a Visa facilitator who will sit down with her and prepare her for the interview. The Embassy interview is on your feet and only a few minutes. I think it will give the GF confidence in front of the interviewer and prevent her from saying the wrong thing. The Embassy fee is about 3,000 baht so if she can nail it the first time we will be ahead both time and money.

• Like 1

Run! I know that is cynical,but what is her fascination with the USA?

You bring her to OZ and not good enough. Wow. rolleyes.gif

Rhodie do you really think once you've seen OZ you've seen it all??? Your a man of little curiosity!

• Like 2

Run! I know that is cynical,but what is her fascination with the USA?

You bring her to OZ and not good enough. Wow. rolleyes.gif

maybe she wants to see the world? the United States has a lot to offer for things to see and do....in case you weren't aware

Dear Op ,

I have had exactly the same experiences whilst trying to take my middle aged g/f to the UK . Tourist visa denied because the UK Border agency doubted that she would return to Thailand despite the fact that she has her own catering business , with receipts and bills etc. , own property and bank account ( never worked in the entertainment business , not that that should make a difference ). Other friends both married and single have had similar problems .

Apparently the fact that I, as a UK citizen having worked there for 50 years, paying all taxes and national insurances means nothing . Yet every time I return to the UK terminal 3 Heathrow arrivals , it feels like I am in a foreign country as the majority of people are from far away shores . How they manage to get visas amazes me . especially with the massive illegal / out of control immigration .

Sorry to drift off the topic , however I have been told that it can sometimes be easier to simply approach a travel company and select a tour of the country of your choice and let them take care of the visa apps . I will be looking at this next week .

By the way , I had a problem some years ago with immigration at arrivals Logan airport , Boston . Despite the fact that I had an indefinite visa for the USA they were concerned that I was visiting too frequently and believed that I was working there ( not true ) . They curtailed my visa to 2 weeks and that was after a robust interview and baggage search

Cheers,

Superal.

• Like 1

Earlier this year I tried to apply for a US visa for my girlfriend. I am British and have taken her to the UK before and thought it wouldn't be a problem.

Not so, despite all our preparation, and paperwork including copies of my bank statements and pension, deeds for her land and letter from employer, etc (which they refused to even look at) she was denied.

The waiting in line at the Bangkok embassy took two hours and the "interview" took two minutes. The questions (which we hadn't prepared for) were about me, such as wanting to know why I chose to live in Thailand.

The only consolation for her was that other Thais around her in the line were also denied.

I am a U.S. citizen and in the process of obtaining a visitor visa for my GF. In the past few days I have been gathering documentation and filling out the forms. After completion, the GF will go through a mock interview process with a visa facilitator. We intend to apply at the end of November with a Dec/ Jan interview. I will post the results here whether successful or not.

It is not a "mock interview"... it is a real interview which she can easily fail. USA Embassy personnel are trained to look for fraud in the papers and the interview. Even a timid Thai girl may fail. The main point is to prove she will come back to Thailand on time. Try actually PROVING that and you understand the large job you have at hand. American speaking, been there.

I think the best is just to simply join a tour if you just want to visit the US/UK/AUS or anywhere else. Tour would be cheaper also, sometimes they allow you to leave the tour for one or two days to do your personal stuff. They are more likely for you to do that for tours to Western countries because there are not as many places where tour guides can get commission. It would be pretty easy to get the visa when the travel agency submits it for you along with the other folks in the group.

I think after you had your first tourist visa, it would be easier to get visas for other western countries, especially if you had a US tourist visa. If not fill your passports with short weekend trips to places such as Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, and Korea to show that you are a traveler. That will also increase your chance of getting a visa.

1st red flag for embassy staff is always a passport with no visa and wanting to go to a western country. There are simply too many "workers" in the same boat having all the basic visa requirements and they cannot truly tell anyone apart, hence they have to denied a lot of normal folks. There are also a lot of "workers" who join tour group and jump ship once they arrive at their destination, this is very common as well. Therefore there is still a chance your visa will be denied when you join a tour group, but at least your chance increases greatly and you look more legit to embassy staff.

I'm going to get a UK visitor visa for my Thai wife so we can stay together with out British Thai newborn son whilst I return back to England next year to study a one year course.

Before the course starts I want to take her to Santorini, Greece for a week. Does anyone know whether she will need additional visas (given Greece is part of EU) and if so, how difficult they are to obtain? Spain could be an option too.

It is not a "mock interview"... it is a real interview which she can easily fail. USA Embassy personnel are trained to look for fraud in the papers and the interview. Even a timid Thai girl may fail. The main point is to prove she will come back to Thailand on time. Try actually PROVING that and you understand the large job

you have at hand. American speaking, been there.

You need to learn to read more carefully. I will send her to a Visa Facilitator (a person who is experienced with obtaining visas for Thai) they will sit down with her and review the questions the "real" interviewer might ask her. It is not a real interview it is a "mock" (practice) interview. Is that clear to you now?

I took the girl to Cape Town. Most stunning countryside, English speakers, a dream for wine lovers, 30 days visa on arrival for Thais. They play better Rugby, too.

Took mine to NZ fairly easy visa proces ....tell her it's the same as Aus,....but different . They also play the best rugby there ! biggrin.png

*GF (not legally married yet - just had the ceremony).

In your case it may be a little tricky to get a visa, you said you are studying? Do you have a job or steady income? I think main thing is to show good income, have marriage certification, savings in your bank, etc

EU all Thais need visa.

Here is a link for visa exempt countries http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15383-List-of-countries-which-have-concluded-Agreements.html

*GF (not legally married yet - just had the ceremony).

In your case it may be a little tricky to get a visa, you said you are studying? Do you have a job or steady income? I think main thing is to show good income, have marriage certification, savings in your bank, etc

EU all Thais need visa.

Here is a link for visa exempt countries http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15383-List-of-countries-which-have-concluded-Agreements.html

I'll be doing a PGCE with funding. Getting the UK visa should be fine as we meet eligibility requirements.

Still none the wiser whether she can go to a nearby country at 6months or if she needs to return to Thailand to come straight back again so she can stay the year.

Mostly wondering about whether she can travel within EU and how difficult it will be for her to get an EU visa whilst on a UK Family Visitor Visa. (Only just thought of this - Can she get 1 EU visa or does she need separate visas for different countries). Waiting on a response email from gov.uk but interested to know about all your experiences.