taking thai gf to country where im not a citizen

*GF (not legally married yet - just had the ceremony).

In your case it may be a little tricky to get a visa, you said you are studying? Do you have a job or steady income? I think main thing is to show good income, have marriage certification, savings in your bank, et all inclusive holiday to China

Savings and a son with British Passport so no marriage cert needed for family visit visa

@KevWaters, a visit visa would normally allow the holder to stay up to six months in any twelve, they cannot simply travel to a nearby country and return to reset the clock.

I'm not aware of any special arrangements for partners accompanying people such as yourself, that doesn't mean that there aren't special arrangements, but I don't think so.

• Like 1

In your case it may be a little tricky to get a visa, you said you are studying? Do you have a job or steady income? I think main thing is to show good income, have marriage certification, savings in your bank, etc

EU all Thais need visa.

Here is a link for visa exempt countries http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15383-List-of-countries-which-have-concluded-Agreements.html

I'll be doing a PGCE with funding. Getting the UK visa should be fine as we meet eligibility requirements.

Still none the wiser whether she can go to a nearby country at 6months or if she needs to return to Thailand to come straight back again so she can stay the year.

Mostly wondering about whether she can travel within EU and how difficult it will be for her to get an EU visa whilst on a UK Family Visitor Visa. (Only just thought of this - Can she get 1 EU visa or does she need separate visas for different countries). Waiting on a response email from gov.uk but interested to know about all your experiences.

In Jan this year I took my wife to the UK and during that time we went to Tenerife for a week. Getting the Schengen visa is fairly straightforward provided you follow the guidelines. It is much easier if you have a marriage certificate as the visa is free and certain requirements are lifted. The downside is that you must have a plan and be in possession of return tickets to Thailand.

You may well be better off applying for the visa in the UK as it would be easier to plan and you would only require return tickets to the UK, on the basis that she would already have a ticket to Thailand for the UK visa. You need to apply at the embassy of the country where you intend to arrive in the EU. You cannot apply at the French embassy and then go to Greece. Once you have been to the country of issue you can visit other countries, but not ad hoc, it would need to be in your plan. When we went to Tenerife, the Schengen visa was only valid for 14 days.

• Like 2

@KevWaters, a visit visa would normally allow the holder to stay up to six months in any twelve, they cannot simply travel to a nearby country and return to reset the clock.

I'm not aware of any special arrangements for partners accompanying people such as yourself, that doesn't mean that there aren't special arrangements, but I don't think so.

But they have 1, 2, 5 year long term visitor visas. So she can only stay for half of the year no matter which she chooses? If that's the case why don't they offer a 6 month visitor visa and just take the 83 pound application fee and a smaller additional fee perhaps rather than the extra 300 for 1 or 2 years? Or do they? It wasn't at all clear from the gov website.

In your case it may be a little tricky to get a visa, you said you are studying? Do you have a job or steady income? I think main thing is to show good income, have marriage certification, savings in your bank, etc

EU all Thais need visa.

Here is a link for visa exempt countries http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15383-List-of-countries-which-have-concluded-Agreements.html

I'll be doing a PGCE with funding. Getting the UK visa should be fine as we meet eligibility requirements.

Still none the wiser whether she can go to a nearby country at 6months or if she needs to return to Thailand to come straight back again so she can stay the year.

Mostly wondering about whether she can travel within EU and how difficult it will be for her to get an EU visa whilst on a UK Family Visitor Visa. (Only just thought of this - Can she get 1 EU visa or does she need separate visas for different countries). Waiting on a response email from gov.uk but interested to know about all your experiences.

In Jan this year I took my wife to the UK and during that time we went to Tenerife for a week. Getting the Schengen visa is fairly straightforward provided you follow the guidelines. It is much easier if you have a marriage certificate as the visa is free and certain requirements are lifted. The downside is that you must have a plan and be in possession of return tickets to Thailand.

You may well be better off applying for the visa in the UK as it would be easier to plan and you would only require return tickets to the UK, on the basis that she would already have a ticket to Thailand for the UK visa. You need to apply at the embassy of the country where you intend to arrive in the EU. You cannot apply at the French embassy and then go to Greece. Once you have been to the country of issue you can visit other countries, but not ad hoc, it would need to be in your plan. When we went to Tenerife, the Schengen visa was only valid for 14 days.

What visa did your wife get for her short stay and what was the cost, 383? We planned on arriving 1 month before the start of my course, which means we are likely to need an earlier arrival should we apply for the EU visa in the UK. Wonder what the cost is for an unmarried person and what extra requirements need to be met.

Lots for me to research there so thanks a lot for the info it's very helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

If getting legally married is something that will make our lives much easier then maybe I should treat it with more urgency.

More than 10 years ago at this point, but I am a US citizen and when I was dating my wife , we wasted our lives three times applying for tourist visas for her. Every year, I would go back home during school break for 2 or 3 months. First time after she was denied, we went to South Africa instead. She needed no visa. FANTASTIC!! Much better than visiting US as well. The next year, she applied for an got a visa for Ireland, so we went their. Two nice vacations because the #$%^$ at the US consulate were being the @#$%$ that they are.

EU all Thais need visa.

Getting a Schengen (EU) Visa should be pretty straight forward, having a UK Family Visitor Visa would give your wife credibility. 1 EU visa you can visit all the other EU countries, the rule of thumb is that you have to apply for it at the embassy of the country where you plan to enter in first. If you plan on going to Greece first, then you have to apply at Greek Embassy, you will be getting a Greece Issued Schengen Visa, once you enter Greece you are free to travel to other countries that uses the EU Visa. I believe they don't even check your visa again if you visit another EU countries that are in the EU. You are free to leave from any country.

What visa did your wife get for her short stay and what was the cost, 383? We planned on arriving 1 month before the start of my course, which means we are likely to need an earlier arrival should we apply for the EU visa in the UK. Wonder what the cost is for an unmarried person and what extra requirements need to be met.

Lots for me to research there so thanks a lot for the info it's very helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

If getting legally married is something that will make our lives much easier then maybe I should treat it with more urgency.

Not sure which visa you mean. For the EU you need what they call a Schengen visa which is applicable to countries in the Schengen area. The visa is free to the spouse of an EU citizen and would be 60 Euros to others. As the spouse of an EU citizen there is no need for any financial documents or travel insurance in support of the application.

In BKK, VFS charge 800 Baht to process a free visa, Not sure about the UK.

I know quite a few in the UK with Thai wives/gf's and have only heard of one problem with getting a visa for the EU. They normally get the visas in a few days.

But they have 1, 2, 5 year long term visitor visas. So she can only stay for half of the year no matter which she chooses? If that's the case why don't they offer a 6 month visitor visa and just take the 83 pound application fee and a smaller additional fee perhaps rather than the extra 300 for 1 or 2 years? Or do they? It wasn't at all clear from the gov website.

The standard visit visa is for six months though it is expected that a person would normally stay in the UK for the length of time outlined in their visa application, though to stay the full six months wouldn't break UK visa regulations.

Longer term visas, in fact up to ten years, can be issued to travellers who can demonstrate the need to visit the UK on a regular basis, for example business people, but as I say they are normally only allowed to stay for up to six months in every twelve, and these longer term visas come at a substantial premium the only advantage being that regular visitors don't have to submit themselves to the application process so often.

There is no such thing a visa run.

theoldgit, on 31 Oct 2014 - 14:33, said:

Totally agree.

I can also see a lot of problems if you apply for A Family Visitor Visa, as your not married.

In my opinion she'd have a better chance with a Visitor Visa.

I'd open another topic on the subject.

The standard visit visa is for six months though it is expected that a person would normally stay in the UK for the length of time outlined in their visa application, though to stay the full six months wouldn't break UK visa regulations.

Longer term visas, in fact up to ten years, can be issued to travellers who can demonstrate the need to visit the UK on a regular basis, for example business people, but as I say they are normally only allowed to stay for up to six months in every twelve, and these longer term visas come at a substantial premium the only advantage being that regular visitors don't have to submit themselves to the application process so often.

Not looking to great for me as it stands. It seems that if I want to keep my partner and son with me for the full year it will cost £1,000. I'm not seasoned enough to have that kind of money going spare right now. In any event, even if I could make big cuts to do so it wouldn't be a wise investment for one year when we would need to make the payment again in the near future when the time comes to apply to remain in the UK.

My options it would seem are now as follows:

1) Forget about training in the UK for now

2) Train in the UK but spend 6 months away from my son during his early development stages.

3) Train in the UK and stay there for 5 years, get my partner citizenship so we never have to face this problem again (but who wants to live in the UK without leaving at all during that 5 year period?)

Either way, the decision I make wont be the ideal one thanks to UK Visa regulations.

Thanks all for your advice chaps.

3) Train in the UK and stay there for 5 years, get my partner citizenship so we never have to face this problem again (but who wants to live in the UK without leaving at all during that 5 year period?)

You two just have to have your home in the UK during that 5 year period; visits abroad are perfectly acceptable. The problem is that until you start work your wife won't be able to join you for settlement and start the 5-year period.

The next idea is probably a non-starter, but if you were a foreign student, I think you could be joined by your wife while you were a student if you had funds enough. Is there any mileage in this approach?

• Like 1

You two just have to have your home in the UK during that 5 year period; visits abroad are perfectly acceptable. The problem is that until you start work your wife won't be able to join you for settlement and start the 5-year period.

The next idea is probably a non-starter, but if you were a foreign student, I think you could be joined by your wife while you were a student if you had funds enough. Is there any mileage in this approach?

I read that she can leave one time for an emergency but other departures may cause the right to remain (or whatever it's called) to be refused upon application after completion of the four year period. Do you mean home ownership or just have my name on a tenancy agreement? Can we stay a year and then live in Singapore, Thailand and other countries for the remainder? Is that known from personal experience? Do tell me more..

Yeah I know what you mean about starting work as I'd need around 6 months wage slips before she can join me.

Life would be do much easier if they changed he visitor visa from 6 months to 12 months or had an option for a national who had to stay a year for a course and wanted to be with his partner and child. There must be others who are almost forced to go down the right to remain route because there is no flexibility in current regs. Not great for our country when there is already a shortage of jobs.

Did you mean if "she" was a foreign student? I did think about this and can look further into it. As far as I'm aware fees for foreign students are exceptionally high.

I read that she can leave one time for an emergency but other departures may cause the right to remain (or whatever it's called) to be refused upon application after completion of the four year period. Do you mean home ownership or just have my name on a tenancy agreement?

I think you've been reading the rules in the points-based system.

Can we stay a year and then live in Singapore, Thailand and other countries for the remainder? Is that known from personal experience? Do tell me more..

Staying one year out of *five* would not be acceptable. What I had in mind was one month's holiday a year. As I understand, there aren't any hard and fast rules, but six months' absence a year could well be rejected.

The experience is not mine, but comes from general remarks on this forum over the years about the family settlement route.

Yeah I know what you mean about starting work as I'd need around 6 months wage slips before she can join me.

I was thinking about your PGCE plan.

Did you mean if "she" was a foreign student?

No, I meant if *you* were a foreign student. The first problem is that you are probably ineligible for a Tier 4 visa - disqualified by being British!
  • Like 1

Not looking to great for me as it stands. It seems that if I want to keep my partner and son with me for the full year it will cost £1,000. I'm not seasoned enough to have that kind of money going spare right now. In any event, even if I could make big cuts to do so it wouldn't be a wise investment for one year when we would need to make the payment again in the near future when the time comes to apply to remain in the UK.

My options it would seem are now as follows:

1) Forget about training in the UK for now

2) Train in the UK but spend 6 months away from my son during his early development stages.

Either way, the decision I make wont be the ideal one thanks to UK Visa regulations.

Thanks all for your advice chaps.

Yes you are facing a few problems.

If you ask me what choice it would be family first. Do the training in the UK and get back to your son and wife as soon as possible.

• Like 1