Upgrade On Longhaul Flights?

sitges233

If you want an upgrade you should just buy a better class of seat in the first place.Pisses me right off when I've paid for a business or first class seat and someone thinks they can buy the cheapest bucket seat and get upgraded.Free upgrades should be STOPPED.

lol, you must get really pissed then when sitting next to you is someone recieving 90% discount because they're airline staff..

I agree with the above post, not fair I pay for business class and then find out some joe has been upgraded for free.

Although I don't mind Airline staff recieving discounts, thats the perk of the job! And I don't mind people getting upgrades with flying miles, the airlines are just looking after there loyal customers, which they should do.

I used to fly quite abit from NZ to the USA.My company to pay for Business Class.Many times I sat next to people that were upgraded.Never for a moment did I think that was unfair,infact I thought good on them and hoped like h3ll that it would happen to me.

If you got upgraded from Business to first, would you would turn it down?

Edited by chuchok

I don't understand how people always think they can get free upgrades from the airlines. Airlines are a business and are not in the habit of giving anything away. Do you go into other places of business and ask for free things?

When you go and buy a Toyota, do you tell them you want to be upgraded to a Mercedes for free?

When you buy a 32 inch TV, do you tell them to upgrade you to the 47 inch for free?

I dont understand why its only with airlines that people think they can get free things?

I don't understand how people always think they can get free upgrades from the airlines. Airlines are a business and are not in the habit of giving anything away. Do you go into other places of business and ask for free things?

When you go and buy a Toyota, do you tell them you want to be upgraded to a Mercedes for free?

When you buy a 32 inch TV, do you tell them to upgrade you to the 47 inch for free?

I dont understand why its only with airlines that people think they can get free things?

I agree that they shouldn't be expected to give away upgrades for free. But the reason why people are expecting them is because they basically don't cost the airline anything to give if the seats would have gone empty otherwise. The only additional cost is a bit of slightly more expensive food and drink. So comparing it to upgrading to a better car or TV isn't really the same thng.

I think the airlines shouldn't be in the habit of giving away free upgrades, but in certain cases they do make good business sense. Some airlines give free upgrades to new members of their frequent flyer program as a way of trying to entice them to stay with that airline. Some people who may have been inconvenieced by the airline are given an upgrade to make them feel compensated and it's advantageous to the airline as it costs them almost nothing to do. The best frequent flyers earning an elite status are often upgraded as a way of showing the airline's gratitude for their business. I agree with all of these reasons for upgrading, but don't think the airlines should get in the habit of upgrading anyone just because they ask as it will create ill-will amongst some of the paying passengers.

Here is my point of view from a flight attendant that has worked long haul for almost 25 years. Once on the aircraft it is rare that the flight attendant can give an upgrade. It has to be justified i.e. family complaining that they not sitting together and by moving one person this will be allowed. Just because you smile nicely and try to flatter the flight crew will not work. I have worked many flights where this happens from both men and women. First class and business class are catered exactly to how many people are sitting in these areas and we will not upgrade somone if there is not a meal to go with the seat. Yes we may have extra meals (1) in business class and perhaps (5 ) in economy class but in first it's table service and you are served restaurant/home style.

Being single of course helps. Being dressed up in business attire helps. And of course being a member of the FF club also helps.

Gate agents don't have much power. But here is one tip. Have a reserved seat and check in just at the legal check in time. If the flight is oversold (in economy) this is when it will happen. You will be offered a seat. Of course if your booked in business class they will automatically upgrade you if it is oversold.

Being upgraded is a privledge and not a right so don't start bothering the flight attendants or complaining because you see 20 empty seats in business class while economy is full.

Again this all said...anything can happen. God knows I've seen it all.

Hello

What is the secret to being offered an upgrade when checking in for a longhaul flight?

I often hear people say they were upgraded, but have never been offered to be myself.

Maybe I don't look the type :D hehe!

Sleep with the pilot! :o

TBWG :D

I got upgraded on my last flight.I was economy to Seoul and never looked at the Bangkok ticket.I was joking with the Korean in NY,had on a suit and a 25 Baht gold chain.When I boarded in Seoul I went to economy and they told me to turn left.I then realized I had a been upgraded.When the stew saw me come from economy she jumped on me,I showed her my boarding pass and she was ashamed.She went out of her way to make up for it.First time don't know if it was the joking,the suit or the gold chain????? :D:D:D:D