Roman Polanski freed in Poland after US extradition bid

webfact

Roman Polanski freed in Poland after US extradition bid

(BBC) Film director Roman Polanski has been released after being questioned by prosecutors in Poland over sex offences in the US.

He has been wanted by US police since 1977 after fleeing the country before he could be sentenced for having sex with a 13-year-old girl.

US authorities contacted Polish officials as Polanski attended the opening of a Jewish museum in Warsaw.

The director of The Pianist and Chinatown was questioned in Krakow.

"Roman Polanski said he would comply with all requests made by prosecutors in this case and provided his address," Police justice ministry spokesman Mateusz Martyniuk told AFP.

"Prosecutors therefore decided not to arrest him in connection with a possible US extradition request."

The Polish government confirmed that the US had contacted authorities asking them to arrest Polanski after he travelled to Warsaw for the opening of the Museum of the History of Polish Jews.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29834442

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-31

They should have sent child-rapist Polanski back to the US. From http://www.salon.com/2009/09/28/polanski_arrest/ , here's what he did to the 13 year old:

"Roman Polanski instructed her to get into a jacuzzi naked, refused to take her home when she begged to go, began kissing her even though she said no and asked him to stop; performed cunnilingus on her as she said no and asked him to stop; put his penis in her vagina as she said no and asked him to stop; asked if he could penetrate her anally, to which she replied, “No,” then went ahead and did it anyway, until he had an orgasm."

BTW, he was convicted, then fled the US.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

I don’t remember the year but I do remember walking into the Superstar Bar in Pat Pong, not the disco upstairs, and being called over by Frank. He wanted to introduce me to his rather unassuming guest. Not sure how he knew Roman but I was not at all surprised. Back in those days there were lots of teenage girls working the street.

The Judge and prosecutor made a deal with Polanski, then the Judge broke the deal because of how he was portrayed in the media. Jack McCoy wouldn't of broken the deal. Once the deal was signed off on by the state and the guilty, then the deal shouldn't be broken by the judge because a newspaper wrote a a piece to sell papers.

They won't display pictures of this 13 year old as she dressed as a whore and lost her virginity to a multitude, years earlier. Why would Polanski, in the midst of global fame, with the incredible Sharon Tate his wife and, hordes of beautiful women throwing themselves at his feet, rape a child ?

Maybe he had sex with her but he was deluded into believing it was both consensual and legal !

• Like 1

They should have sent child-rapist Polanski back to the US. From http://www.salon.com/2009/09/28/polanski_arrest/ , here's what he did to the 13 year old:

"Roman Polanski instructed her to get into a jacuzzi naked, refused to take her home when she begged to go, began kissing her even though she said no and asked him to stop; performed cunnilingus on her as she said no and asked him to stop; put his penis in her vagina as she said no and asked him to stop; asked if he could penetrate her anally, to which she replied, “No,” then went ahead and did it anyway, until he had an orgasm."

I agree with you 100%. It should also be added that he drugged and gave alcohol to the victim prior to raping her.

• Like 2

I dont remember the year but I do remember walking into the Superstar Bar in Pat Pong, not the disco upstairs, and being called over by Frank. He wanted to introduce me to his rather unassuming guest. Not sure how he knew Roman but I was not at all surprised. Back in those days there were lots of teenage girls working the street.

Off topic: That is going back a long, long time, at least 27 or 28 years ago. Wonder what happened to that fellow called Frank.
  • Like 1

They won't display pictures of this 13 year old as she dressed as a whore and lost her virginity to a multitude, years earlier. Why would Polanski, in the midst of global fame, with the incredible Sharon Tate his wife and, hordes of beautiful women throwing themselves at his feet, rape a child ?

Maybe he had sex with her but he was deluded into believing it was both consensual and legal !

A 13 year old lost her virginity at age 11 or less? And so he was justified?

You're ignoring that he was convicted and fled.

He didn't appeal, he fled.

You sound like one of the Polish people who are trying to protect him.

• Like 1

I dont remember the year but I do remember walking into the Superstar Bar in Pat Pong, not the disco upstairs, and being called over by Frank. He wanted to introduce me to his rather unassuming guest. Not sure how he knew Roman but I was not at all surprised. Back in those days there were lots of teenage girls working the street.

Off topic: That is going back a long, long time, at least 27 or 28 years ago. Wonder what happened to that fellow called Frank.

If he avoided getting caught up in the drug net with Bob and the twins, I assume he is still out there in the nightlife somewhere.

I don’t remember the year but I do remember walking into the Superstar Bar in Pat Pong, not the disco upstairs, and being called over by Frank. He wanted to introduce me to his rather unassuming guest. Not sure how he knew Roman but I was not at all surprised. Back in those days there were lots of teenage girls working the street.

I would have said, "Hello, Frank. Where'd you get the midget?"

I agree with you 100%. It should also be added that he drugged and gave alcohol to the victim prior to raping her.

I don't think its correct to say he drugged her as to me, that would imply he gave her the Quaalude without her knowledge.

According to the court transcript of her testimony, he offered her the Quaalude and she accepted, she was fully aware what it was and said she previously had taken Quaalude when she was 10 or 11.

I don't think its correct to say he drugged her as to me, that would imply he gave her the Quaalude without her knowledge.

According to the court transcript of her testimony, he offered her the Quaalude and she accepted, she was fully aware what it was and said she previously had taken Quaalude when she was 10 or 11.

The fact is he was tried, convicted and fled. So he is a fugitive. Poland should comply with the US request if they have an extradition treaty with the US. If no treaty they should still find a legal way to extradite him. Child rape and buggery is wrong. He knew that, he ran, he's been allowed to escape punishment for too long.

• Like 1

You're not telling the whole story, he was arrested and the DA and his lawyer came to an agreement, the judge refused the agreement and he was sent for evaluation as a child molester. He was granted bail and then skipped country. The real problem in this case was the judge and I for one don't blame the little bugger for buggering off. He and Jack Nicholson were involved with the same girl and the girl has said as recently as 2 years ago that she doesn't want Polanski prosecuted. I understand it's not her decision, but she should have some say in it. He's not innocent but you do understand why he ran after the judge decreed the agreement between the District Attorney and Polanski's lawyers. null and void.

You're not telling the whole story, he was arrested and the DA and his lawyer came to an agreement, the judge refused the agreement and he was sent for evaluation as a child molester. He was granted bail and then skipped country. The real problem in this case was the judge and I for one don't blame the little bugger for buggering off. He and Jack Nicholson were involved with the same girl and the girl has said as recently as 2 years ago that she doesn't want Polanski prosecuted. I understand it's not her decision, but she should have some say in it. He's not innocent but you do understand why he ran after the judge decreed the agreement between the District Attorney and Polanski's lawyers. null and void.

I can certainly understand why anyone would want to avoid prison. A convicted child rapist like Roman Polanski would no doubt be subjected to forced anal intercourse like his victim was. He would then most likely be killed.

An easier way to avoid prison would be to not commit the crime.

So the judge wasn't happy with a plea bargain that called for no jail time for an admitted child rapist. Sounds like a hero to me.

I bet Roman paid big money to his lawyers and the victim's mother. He just couldn't buy the judge.

Every village has its idiot. Congrats!