Pattaya flooding worse than ever, city officials admit

Rimmer

Pattaya flooding worse than ever, city officials admit

n5flood09-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Despite years of talk and months of effort, flooding actually is getting worse in Pattaya, with two recent days of heavy rain flooding areas of the city not inundated for 10 years, Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh said.

The deputy mayor called an emergency meeting after a downpour of just two hours left areas of the city under a meter of water Oct. 19.

He said projects such as the dredging of canals in South and North Pattaya canal as well as a new retention basin near the East Pattaya railway didn’t seem to be having much effect.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pattaya-flooding-worse-than-ever-city-officials-admit-42338#sthash.rXszzCYV.dpuf

The city obviously has no will or intention of really dealing with this problem or they would hire expert(s) drainage engineers.

Yep, another day of heavy rain and the most exciting electrical storm I've seen this year just passed through.

• Like 2

In "normal" cities in "normal" "democracies" at the level of CITIES there is a political price to pay for failure to solve basic public utility problems like this.coffee1.gif

So, see the flooded streets NEXT YEAR ... and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, etc., etc. etc.

try doing a google search of, as an example "flooding florida" and you might see that normal cities in normal democracies have exactly the same problems

In "normal" cities in "normal" "democracies" at the level of CITIES there is a political price to pay for failure to solve basic public utility problems like this.coffee1.gif

So, see the flooded streets NEXT YEAR ... and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that, etc., etc. etc.

The present government spend the B 350 bn flood money on drought relief. The cities in Thailand rely on central government for funds as they have very few sources of income. So the cities (accept BKK which have the BMA) cant be blamed for floods as this must be solved by central government.

The present government spend the B 350 bn flood money on drought relief. The cities in Thailand rely on central government for funds as they have very few sources of income. So the cities (accept BKK which have the BMA) cant be blamed for floods as this must be solved by central government.

Pattaya City brings in plenty of income of its own, if they do not, they can always ask police to share some profits from monthly donations from thousands of bars, disco's, shops, restaurants, karaoke's ,tour company's massage shop's and list goes on

• Like 2

Pattaya City brings in plenty of income of its own, if they do not, they can always ask police to share some profits from monthly donations from thousands of bars, disco's, shops, restaurants, karaoke's ,tour company's massage shop's and list goes on

Please tell me what are their income sources ? As you are a frequent customer at the bars, brothels and "message" shops why not make a direct donation to the municipality to solve the flooding of the town.

We live on the East side of Pattaya and today at about 2:20 pm was the worst storm I have ever experienced. I used tio live in South Florida and suffered through many hurricanes but nothing this bad. Blew fronds off the palm trees and all yard plants were blown over. We have an 18 feet wide gate made of 2 inch pipe that must weigh a a couple of thousand pounds. It is not a swing gate but slides on a track - the wind blew the gate half open. My office sits at the back of the carport and the rain splashed about six feet up the window. This means the rain was blowing almost vertically for 20 feet or so,. Good thing I had laid in an extra bottle of rum.

Edited by akentryan
  • Like 2

Please tell me what are their income sources ? As you are a frequent customer at the bars, brothels and "message" shops why not make a direct donation to the municipality to solve the flooding of the town.
I just own few businesses so would know little more than you.

Every business besides paying donations to police, pays tax for signs, licences and permits.

It helps to have a clue before posting rubbish

PS. Just for 1 business I pay 25000 per year for signs and my signs are small.

Edited by konying

Massive electric storm over Pattaya at the moment, blackest skies I have seen for a long time

You bet.

I was caught on the golf course with only my varifocal sunglasses on. It was just like a solar eclipse.

(Ps For no spec wearers who might have said take them off - I would have been almost blind!)

I can't imagine what Pattaya would be like this lunchtime cheesy.gif

Massive electric storm over Pattaya at the moment, blackest skies I have seen for a long time

You bet.

I was caught on the golf course with only my varifocal sunglasses on. It was just like a solar eclipse.

(Ps For no spec wearers who might have said take them off - I would have been almost blind!)

I can't imagine what Pattaya would be like this lunchtime cheesy.gif

So, playing nude golf now are we? I bet this gives the caddies a few laughs when you follow through with your swing!

Is it difficult to get 'member' ship there? Seiously, golf and electrical storms are a taboo for me. I had the misfortune many years ago to spectate a football match where 12 players were struck by lightning, Sadly, one died later in hospital. Still gives me the shudders when I think how close I was to being a victim.

Edited by joebrown

With so many odd natural events happening around the world, I swear when I looked out today and saw trees bent in half from the wind and all of the electricity and rain, I was just waiting for hail to begin and for a tornado to appear. My GOD...I can't remember ever seeing it so bad and I've been here 9 years.

I looked out to my pool and saw everything that was sitting around the pool area floating in the pool or in other areas around the pool. We had some minor leakage in a bedroom we don't use except to store items and a trickle in my office but good thing that was it. At least I know that my house is built well; we haven't had any leaks in 7 years.

The exact same spots in Pattaya have been flooding for over 20 years. They cleaned the drains in front of my place 4 days ago, the street still flooded. One would think with all the graft potential in a construction contract to make the drains large enough it would have happened by now.

Halloween afternoon's storm was the most amazing weather event I've experienced in Pattaya.

On my 20-minute walk to Booze Bar on Soi Buakhao to play pool, just before 1 pm., it was rain, sunshine, rain again, then sunshine again as the rain continued. Beautiful contrast... Perfect rainbow weather, tho I didn't see one.

Booze left the front door open, so I could check on the weather while playing pool. It seemed to change every five minutes. The rain-sun alternation was blown away by the fantastic lightning & thunder that followed. It was a bit scary out on the Booze front porch. One Booze maiden fled screaming inside from the boom of a close strike.

Then the rain, a real rain, not petering out after 10 minutes like most of the few rains in Pattaya this "rainy" season, but continuing on and on.

After losing another pool game, I peeked outside and saw a small flood blocking the way into Soi Buakhao. I put on sandals, waded across thru the wonderfully slow traffic on the Soi, cut thru the empty lot (that would be a lovely public park in many non-Thai cities and towns), and reached Second Road, un-flooded and rolling along.

In short, I really enjoyed this beautiful rare storm in Pattaya, giving water that we really need here.

• Like 1