What do I feed a duck.

Why do you call the gift giver an "idiot". We all receive unwanted gifts from time to time and accept them graciously in the spirit of goodwill that the gift intended.

Live animals are not suitable gifts for small children.

But at least the 3yo is totally exhausted after chasing the duck round the house all day.

• Like 1

If the duck is more than six months old feed it normal duck or chicken feed. This kind of food is available in 30 kg bags. It does not make sense to buy a full bag; rather go for a couple of kg. In the event its a duckling, it will need junior duck/chicken feed (same as before just smaller pieces). Always provide fresh water. If you have a fence let the duck roam around in the garden. I have 3 of them; they are very happy and give me nice, big and fresh eggs 11 months per year. Find some straw for the duck to make a nest and provide shelter against rain/sun.

Had a duck in Belgium as a chick.

First fed it on cornflakes with milk, until it was too big to stay in the box.

As soon as it went outdoors it claimed the rhubarb patch and lived there safely.

Feeding was then up to itself, young shoots, weeds and any time I dug the garden worms.

We did not have a pond.

But this bird was as faithful as any dog. He even followed me to a bar 3 hours after I left my house and knocked on the door to be let in.

Very bad day when I put him into a bird sanctuary because of military commitments.

Enjoy it or eat it, depends how you feel.

• Like 2

Corn/grain until it is fat enough to eat. I always cooked whole, minus head and without feathers smart asses. If I shot down south in New Mexico where there was corn, rice, peas etc. growing for them to eat ok. Up north, Nuevo Mexico del Norte', they didn't have grain even the Mallards ate pond weed etc, just breasted and sauteed. Good eating, but I liked the whole duck better. I stuffed with butter, lemon, bacon, garlic, orange, apple whatever. Pheasant pretty much the same way, but had to be carefull because no fat and would dry out easily if over cooked. If I hear one in my subdivision it is dead, this isn't a village and I don't want to "feed" it...lol.

Why do you call the gift giver an "idiot". We all receive unwanted gifts from time to time and accept them graciously in the spirit of goodwill that the gift intended.

Live animals are not suitable gifts for small children.

But at least the 3yo is totally exhausted after chasing the duck round the house all day.

Maybe the gift giver was actually pulling one over on the 3 year-olds father ;-)

"Some idiot gave my kid a duck" and "nope I want cheap"

kind of describes the posters personality. I hope the apple falls further from the tree.

That may be true but assuming the gift was given with good intentions but I still think it is uncharitable to denigrate the intention of the gift.

saai.gif

I was always under the belief that ducks require a large water environment, such as a lake where they eat water snails, certain water plants, crustaceans and insects, plus they also require a land mass where they can mate, make their nests and lay their eggs.

Ducks are not suited to living like chickens or other types of big land based birds.

My advice is, care for the ducks until they are able to fend for themselves then go and release them onto a lake somewhere, that will be better for the OP and better for the welfare of the ducks.

I was always under the belief that ducks require a large water environment, such as a lake where they eat water snails, certain water plants, crustaceans and insects, plus they also require a land mass where they can mate, make their nests and lay their eggs.

Ducks are not suited to living like chickens or other types of big land based birds.

My advice is, care for the ducks until they are able to fend for themselves then go and release them onto a lake somewhere, that will be better for the OP and better for the welfare of the ducks.

If the lake, pond is not in a Restricted sanctuary. the duck will not live long in Thailand! The rural folk hunt and eat everything! whistling.gif

• Like 1

My favorite ducks had Stanford for lunch last Saturday and are going to Dine on Utah this week! Oops, wrong ducks, theu're in Eugene, Oregon!

Most of the people around here that have a small flock get greens, trimmings/waste,from the market and chop it up fine and feed it to them If you only have one it would be inexpensive to buy some cabbage and Chinese cabbage and chop it up very fine.

One week later,

Been giving them chicken feed (20bht/Kg) and mixed bird seed (20bht/Kg).

So far 1/4 of it used up.

An egg delivered to my doorstep every day and a bonus of no more ants.

My house was plagued with ants, but less than a week and they're all gone.

Well done birds, much cheaper than the ant spray.

Thinking of calling the guy, Bill and the girl Ben (Thai girl name)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

One week later,

Been giving them chicken feed (20bht/Kg) and mixed bird seed (20bht/Kg).

So far 1/4 of it used up.

An egg delivered to my doorstep every day and a bonus of no more ants.

My house was plagued with ants, but less than a week and they're all gone.

Well done birds, much cheaper than the ant spray.

Thinking of calling the guy, Bill and the girl Ben (Thai girl name)

Ducks are great, not a bad present after all :) Ducks 2 - Ants 0

• 2 months later...

My poor male duck (mallard) has had his beak bitten by a cobra (then dragged down the snake hole, his body was too big to go down and we managed to win the 'tug of war').

He was very unwell for a few days, with his beak split from one nostril where the fang went in.

It was all a bit bloody and messy for a while, but has now cleaned itself up.

Duck is happily eating and quacking again.

The problem,

Just caught him to look at how the beak was doing, and an area near the nostril appears to have been 'eaten away' by the venom.

Leaving exposed a '1 baht' coins worth of exposed bone tissue (looks like the inside of an Aero bar).

Haven't a clue what to do, thinking I will just leave it alone.

Any better ideas?