Ebola and Terrorism ... can it get any sillier?

David48

Ebola and Terrorism ... can it get any sillier?

I'm an Aussie and I dip my head in shame that this story comes from Foster's Country.

Like any Country, we have the Shock Jocks ... those people who say stuff just to cause a stir, get attention (not unlike Thai Visa!).

Some even run for Parliament ... sadly, one actually got elected.

Here is the latest diatribe from one such elected Tasmanian Senator ... Jacqui Lambie

video-undefined-2270881D00000578-316_636

Source

What is she guilty of (this time)?

Jacqui Lambie asks if terrorists may use Ebola against Australia ... facepalm.gif

JACQUI LAMBIE has questioned the military’s leaders on the potential of terrorists attacking Australia and its military using the deadly Ebola virus.

“Do you have any information to suggest that Australia’s enemies could attack our country or military using the virus,” the Palmer United Party Senator asked Vice Admiral Ray Griggs at a senate estimates hearing.

TOP DOCTOR: We’re not ready for Ebola

“For example, with suicide agents who are affected with the disease or have access to bodily fluids containing the disease,” she went on.

“What is your contingency plan to fight this?”

The Vice Chief of the Defence Force replied “I don’t believe there is any evidence to suggest that that is a likely course of action”.

Thankfully, our Cartoonists balance the argument ...

broelman-october-23.jpg

Credit

With respect, I'd hardly call David48 a left wing loony.

That particular epithet is saved for people like me from my stalkers.

But I think we can safely conclude "JDGRUEN's" favorite news channel is "FOX News"

Perhaps a lesson in biological warfare would do you some good.

Its nothing new.

American settlers wiped out huge indigenous populations with smallpox infected blankets.

The only incredulous thing about this thread is that some posters choose political affiliation over common sense.

The radical Islamic Jihadists would certainly use any weapon they can against the west, but unfortunately for them, Ebola is not suitable for weaponization.

Next ...

The very idea a terrorist would attempt such a thing is about as ridiculous as saying they would try to blow up a plane with a pair of underwear.

Cheers

Most people would have laughed at the idea of hijacking airliners with plastic knives and box cutters and flying them into buildings and killing thousands of people - before it actually happened.

Yeah I get that, but if people are afraid of this now, and many are, they are terrorized already ... coffee1.gif

This "threat" real or not doesn't really change what the world needs to do to respond to Ebola.

Control at the outbreak areas, vaccine, and cure.

Edited by Jingthing

The radical Islamic Jihadists would certainly use any weapon they can against the west, but unfortunately for them, Ebola is not suitable for weaponization.

Next ...

Jing,

So you bring up a valid point, but what actually defines "weaponization"? Would it be the ability to affect casualties on a large scale?

The reason i ask is that it appears terrorists settle for even small-scale attacks quite frequently. For instance, those two guys who killed Soldier, Lee Rigby. As well as many of these recent attacks by converts and home-grown terrorists who think trading their life for even one casualty is worth it.

Most people would have laughed at the idea of hijacking airliners with plastic knives and box cutters and flying them into buildings and killing thousands of people - before it actually happened.

Yeah I get that, but if people are afraid of this now, and many are, they are terrorized already ... coffee1.gif

This "threat" real or not doesn't really change what the world needs to do to respond to Ebola.

Control at the outbreak areas, vaccine, and cure.

Neither this article nor anyones' post suggested stopping the goal of controlling outbreak with vaccine and cure, Jing. Lets not get sidetracked.

And its a rather big leap to suggest being alert to a threat is the same thing as being terrorized.

Is every guy who wears a condom "terrorized"?

And is it possible for me to use those really neat emoticons while using an iPad? I really love that one with the guy drinking coffee and reading the paper. Do me favor and pretend I attached two of those at the end of this post.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

Next ...

Agree.

Plus it's not their style. Not shocking enough.

Not sure any are smart enough to carry out disease attacks on a large scale.

Next ...

Agree.

Not shocking enough?

The Ebola virus is very much a part of the worlds psyche right now.

Countries are closing their borders for fear of even an accidental spread of the disease.

An intentional terrorist spread of Ebola would certainly be shocking.

Actually Lambie was leveraging off a spoof US news website, The National Report. She took it seriously as she did when using an altered photo to justify banning the burka, from a far right website in the UK, of an Afghan police woman carrying a weapon, who was murdered by the Taliban - Lambie is a buffoon who should not be in Federal parliament.

Original news article in the Oz press at:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/jacqui-lambie-questions-defence-officials-about-prospect-of-ebolainfected-suicide-agents-attacking-australia-20141022-119ve0.html

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Actually Lambie was leveraging off a spoof US news website, The National Report. She took it seriously as she did when using an altered photo to justify banning the burka, from a far right website in the UK, of an Afghan police woman carrying a weapon, who was murdered by the Taliban - Lambie is a buffoon who should not be in Federal parliament.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/jacqui-lambie-questions-defence-officials-about-prospect-of-ebolainfected-suicide-agents-attacking-australia-20141022-119ve0.html

Aha, thanks for clarifying.

The US has its share of these types of politicians.

And they manage to win elections as well.

Doesn't say much for the voter or it says alot for their PR teams ;-)

Lambie is a buffoon who should not be in Federal parliament.

She ex-Army, appeals to a certain demographic through her wacky comments ... not my vote though.

You could rename her the Human Headline and not be to wide of the mark ... facepalm.gif

Edited by David48

Unfortunately we have a senate voting system where one can be elected with only 3 to 5% of people actually voting for you. Guess who got 3%?

And she's there for another 5 years earning $180k plus allowances....

Edited by samran

Lambie is a buffoon who should not be in Federal parliament.

She ex-Army, appeals to a certain demographic through her wacky comments ... not my vote though.

You could rename her the Human Headline and not be to wide of the mark ... facepalm.gif

Yes, a demographic such the Australian Defence League (ADL). Those outstanding brave souls who threaten Muslim women in the streets, via social media and so on

Unfortunately we have a senate voting system where one can be elected with only 3 to 5% of people actually voting for you. Guess who got 3%?

And she's there for another 5 years earning $180k plus allowances....

You don't say?

Can Americans run for office?

I am ordering my "Vote for Clutch" bumper-stickers ordered at this very moment.

;-)

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

Next ...

Agree.

Not shocking enough?

Countries are closing their borders for fear of even an accidental spread of the disease.

Sure its shocking, but doubt any terrorists would use it, and doubt those isis twits would know how to spread it. They prefer rape, torture to instill fear.

Anyhow give it 6 months and isis will be all but dust. Aussie SAS among others are now on the ground over there obliterating them.

With respect, I'd hardly call David48 a left wing loony.

That particular epithet is saved for people like me from my stalkers.

But I think we can safely conclude "JDGRUEN's" favorite news channel is "FOX News"

I haven't watched FoxNews for many years... but not for the reasons that might agree with you. But when someone makes a post scoffing in a cavalier manner at the possibility of a terrorists attack using Ebola - I do have to question whether they sleep with a very liberal and naive pillow under their head...

• Like 1

Next ...

Agree.

Not shocking enough?

Sure its shocking, but doubt any terrorists would use it, and doubt those isis twits would know how to spread it. They prefer rape, torture to instill fear.

Anyhow give it 6 months and isis will be all but dust. Aussie SAS among others are now on the ground over there obliterating them.

Sorry to disappoint, but Oz SF are still waiting in UAE (?). Media not providing the detail, but apparently some chain of command dispute with US military for operational deployment.

Yes, they may attack thaivisa too lol.

Here are stats of victims of terrorism, Australia, Europe, north america are not really concerned (except for 9/11).

The most concerned are more middle East and African countries including Pakistan and Afghanistan.