Ride from chiang rai to phuket

davo2212

^ I agree. One thing to bear in mind to avoid the worst of Bangkok (Highway 9 bypass) is to go via Chainat and Suphanburi (340-321) which is quieter and quicker and from where you can divert to Kanchanaburi. Also be aware that much of the route south from Bangkok is down the large and uneventful Highway 4, with little choice for deviation. When at Surat, however (well, Phun Pin), don't take the main 44 across to Phuket, go along the 401 which goes via Khao Sok NP.

Will be heading down the coast avoiding bangkok. Just looking for any ideas of must see small villages. A possible retirement home

I spent 1 month travelling around North Thailand. I have a GPS and set it to keep off main highways. Was fantastic, travelled mostly through the small villages. Got my certificate in Mae Hon Son for completing 1887 curves. Great roads. What are you riding?

I know every Honda Click I have ever rented has been "Automatic" transmission. I would think a manual shifting Honda Wave would be much more suitable for the mountainous roads of the north and more economical for the long haul to Phuket.

If you have never done an extended journey on a small displacement bike, you will be surprised how uncomfortable and painful your hands can get from the prolonged vibration. Invest in a good pair or riding gloves. I always used gloves with a gell pad within the palm.

Anyplace within a 200km circle of Bangkok is unpleasant and dangerous but very hard to avoid.

• Like 1

head to Mae Hong son

than follow the road down to Mae sot.

over to Tak, Nakhon Sawan-Ayutthaya

than down to Bangkok ( u will have fun getting around the city as bikes cant go on the expressway)

or From Nakon Sawan- Suphan Buri- Nakon Pathom- Ratchaburi ( an avoid Bangkok)

then south to Prachup Khiiri khan

at Chumpon turn off an head to Raynog/Khao Lak

Phuket

done it 4-5 times now :-)

although never on a little bike

PCX is not so bad, as long it's not one with the hump in the seat!!!

I've been all around Malaysia and southern Thailand on mine... a few times... and have a friend headed to Chang Rai and back from Samui, right now, for the second time this year on his PCX...

I would have done the trip too, except was not keen on traveling when rain likely.... just not fun!

I think a Click would just have quite enough power or speed... But, which ever way you choose, do stop and take a few breaks and don't try to over do each day's run!

Do you plan to ride single or 2-up? I ask because the reason I suggest a manually shifting bike is not really for power or uphill, but more for engine braking power needed on some of the really steep, long and twisty downhill road sections you will inevitably encounter in the mountains. Brakes can get really hot, really quickly; especially if you are riding 2-up and the auto transmissions just do not have the engine braking power you sometimes need to help the brakes out.

I once carelessly rented an auto-trans bike for a trip from Chaing Rai to Mae Salang with my GF on the back. Getting there was no problem but going back, she had to walk down a lot downgrades. The brakes on the bike were just not up to the job and I could not control speed with her on the back and no really low gear to help.