Where To Buy In Chiang Mai

MinutePigglet

Sawasdee Krub Denizens of CNX,

Herein, I attempt to begin the penultimate (is that the right word?) list for those seeking specifics in the Chiang Mai area.

My request is not answers like: "Kasem's has farang stuff," or "Try Rim Ping."

What I'm seeking is a lists of definites. As we all know, trying to find specifics is tougher up north than in Krung Thep and the Eastern Seaboard, therefore a think a tight, succinct, definitive (yes, that's the word) list would be much more useful to us all.

For example:

• Fresh-made yoghurt, plain no sugar: Jeruselum Falafel.
  • S-video cables: ICON. First floor, front.
  • Salmon in a cream tomato sauce w/ penne: Giorgio's.

So if you've found anything of a particular delight or rarity, why not share it with the group? Unless, of course it's a secret.

Also, I'd like this to be a Q&A thread. So please list down things you're looking for and perhaps we can help eachother out.

For example:

Where can I find? (I suggest bold, red for questions).

High-quality. whey protein powder?

Nice, clean girls who wash between their toes?

Alrighty then, we'll see how much information we're willing to share. Again, specifics only. It's what separates us from the animals, you know. :o

M. Pigglet

ps: p1p did something like this prior with no takers. So, I'm not real sure about the interest level on this type of thread-though I'm interested enough to revive the idea.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sawasdee Krub Denizens of CNX,

Herein, I attempt to begin the penultimate (is that the right word?) list for those seeking specifics in the Chiang Mai area.

My request is not answers like: "Kasem's has farang stuff," or "Try Rim Ping."

What I'm seeking is a lists of definites. As we all know, trying to find specifics is tougher up north than in Krung Thep and the Eastern Seaboard, therefore a think a tight, succinct, definitive (yes, that's the word) list would be much more useful to us all.

For example:

• Fresh-made yoghurt, plain no sugar: Jeruselum Falafel.
  • S-video cables: ICON. First floor, front.
  • Salmon in a cream tomato sauce w/ penne: Giorgio's.

So if you've found anything of a particular delight or rarity, why not share it with the group? Unless, of course it's a secret.

Also, I'd like this to be a Q&A thread. So please list down things you're looking for and perhaps we can help eachother out.

For example:

Where can I find? (I suggest bold, red for questions).

High-quality. whey protein powder?

Nice, clean girls who wash between their toes?

Alrighty then, we'll see how much information we're willing to share. Again, specifics only. It's what separates us from the animals, you know. :o

M. Pigglet

ps: p1p did something like this prior with no takers. So, I'm not real sure about the interest level on this type of thread-though I'm interested enough to revive the idea.

Penultimate means 'the next to last' so it probably isn't correct. The ultimate is the very last thing.

:-)

I agree this is a great idea for a topic!! Although I'm not sure it's actually harder finding things here than in Bangkok? At least when you get somewhere and they don't have it, it doesn't involve another 2 hour drive to the next place on the list. :o I had a much harder time finding/doing basic stuff in Bangkok compared to Chiang Mai.

As for S-video cables or most electronic stuff (like, ANYTHING, it's an electronic nerd's kind of shop: Kitti Electronics on Chotana Road, close to Thanin market.

Cheers,

Chanchao

freshly grated parmesan at a reasonable price = Tops in Central shopping mall.

You have to aks for it though.

most parts for model airplane hobby = wings shop opposite montfort college next to the river.

Farang style webdesign at a reasonable price, website and ecommerce hosting = PM me anytime

Belgian chocolates (as stated in another thread) = It's on Bamrungrat Road opposite britisch counsil.

Can't think of more speciality's though.

Have some questions about other ones?

A real German(belgian dutch french) butcher who makes pork sausages without tom yum something taste in them (like carrefour).

Gift wrapping paper on a rol in wholesale price.

Thanks

B

Donuts (at 10 bahts a bag): Khom market. Better know in Chiang-Mai as Talat khom. Not too far from Chiang-Mai gate. Before Wualai rd, turn left, pass the old chedi, then the market is on your left.

Probably one of the best places for ready made food, both Thai and Lanna. Very crowdy after 5 pm.

Donuts (at 10 bahts a bag): Khom market. Better know in Chiang-Mai as Talat khom. Not too far from Chiang-Mai gate. Before Wualai rd, turn left, pass the old chedi, then the market is on your left.

I LOVE that market and that area!!!! Very traditional area, and scenic too with those chedi ruines. I sometimes recommend the Chiang Mai Gate hotel for no other reason than that it's in that very untouristed area! I always forget the name of the market though, thanks for posting it.

Also when you continue past the market across the narrow bridge and some eerie trees you get to that road from nowhere to nowhere with all the "nightlife".. bamboo shacks with christmas lights. I don't know the name of that road either.

Cheers,

Chanchao

it.

Also when you continue past the market across the narrow bridge and some eerie trees you get to that road from nowhere to nowhere with all the "nightlife".. bamboo shacks with christmas lights. I don't know the name of that road either.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I think this area is known as Sri Ping Muang.

There are really only 3 places with "the Best Hamburgers in Chiang Mai":

1) Mikes Original: These are probably best, certainly cheapest for this quality. It's best to get Cheeseburger with bacon, because Thai beef needs a little extra flavor. Mike is a great guy, but he's from New Jersey, so he acts like he's from New Jersey (slightly tough and rude), but that is why everything in the place is so authentic.

2) The Saloon: some people think that these are best, but the bacon recommendation remains. Ron is from Texas, so more polite, but still willing to kick your ass if you try his patience.

3) Filmore East: Good, but a little less so than the others. Much more comfortable, but a little pricey. Girlfriend very hot, and this Ron is nice guy and probably isn't looking for a fight! :o

2) The Saloon:  and 3) Filmore East: 

Can you give us some directions on where they are ? like to try them to sometime.

Mike probably had a bad day , but still if you would answer your customers in belgium like that when they just try to be nice, you would be sitting flipping burgers for yourself in your shack after a month. Nobody would come even if they were good.

Customer is still the king in europe. Not only does the quality and price of the food count. But much more even the way you are nice or friendly to your customers..

I like his thai chef a lot more i must say...

B

2) The Saloon:  and 3) Filmore East: 

Can you give us some directions on where they are ? like to try them to sometime.

Fillmore East is on Loi Kroh, 50 meters past Mango Tree, on the left.

Because they BBQ their hamburgers over charcoal, and have good French bread as a bun option, they get my vote as Best Hamburger in Chiang Mai...

(If Philip, Mango Tree would get some french bread and charcoal, he'll get my vote. He's already got the biggest (hamburger) in town :o

The Saloon is also on Loi Kroh, further down, just before the Kampheang Din intersection, on the right....Good Chilli dog, but Mike's is much better, imo

Best hamburger... :-) I feel a poll coming up. Then will include the winner in the list of 'the best' places for any particular food in Chiang Mai. :) I'm perhaps also looking for a place where regular Thais wouldn't mind being cought dead in. Then again authenticity is important too, I liked the implication that a proper greasy-spoon diner needs somewhat of a rude bastard to run it. :) I actually get that feeling already at the Bake & Bite shop, at the old El Toro location at the little parking-lot-niche close to Thapae Gate on Kotchasarn road, before you get to Aroon Rai and that gogo bar which' name escapes me at the moment. :) Anyway, very American style service where waitresses seem not to have time for you to get to grips with the 1000 variations, add-ons and side orders they offer. :)

What happened to the Irish Pub by the way? I recall a huge jumbo-burger there a couple of years ago that was pretty decent, too. Especially again because of the bread, they have their own bakery.

Or maybe we should do a 'hamburger round up' listing the cheapest, best and biggest hambugers in Chiang Mai. Ah heck, maybe list the worst, too. :)

Cheers,

Chanchao

What happened to the Irish Pub by the way?  I recall a huge jumbo-burger there a couple of years ago that was pretty decent, too.   Especially again because of the bread, they have their own bakery.

Or maybe we should do a 'hamburger round up' listing the cheapest, best and biggest hambugers in Chiang Mai.  Ah heck, maybe list the worst, too.  :D

I used to eat quite regularly at the Irish Pub when Rosemary and Daeng were still together and running the place...I liked the food and the owners. Their homemade bread was, imo, the best in CM at the time. My wife's sandwich business at CMU used their bread, exclusively.

After Rosemary took the kids and escaped back to Ireland, Daeng took care of things himself, but, he often told me his heart wasn't into it anymore. He took on a farang partner (allegedly for 3 mil) who he had problems with, then later sold out and left...

From my experience, it seemed like the new owner was more interested in the upstairs 'sports bar' more than than the food downstairs...Maybe he was intimidated by the sour-faced cook, who Rosemary was quite good at keeping in line...

The last few times I ate there, I found the food to be pretty blah, and often poorly prepared and cooked. The exception was the baked stuff, which I thought was still quite good.

As for the worst hamburger, that's easy....Any Thai-run restaurant.

Many still give you a ham sandwich....Others only offer up a pork/chicken patty, rather than beef. I never even think about ordering farang food in a Thai-run restaurant anymore. I'm sure many of you have experienced the Thai version of spaghetti. I don't think I've ever had decent farang food from a Thai kitchen without farang training......Better to enjoy their Thai food and be able to walk away with a good taste in your mouth, I feel :o

I have been reading the comments on Mango Tree with great interest - and gratitude - that some of you think we are worth commenting on.

You can be assured that I am taking all comments very seriously and hope to make many improvments over the coming months.

To start with, Mango Tree prices have been reduced a couple of times over the last month. Beer prices will go down tomorrow! (Printed but not yet inserted in menus!)

(If Philip, Mango Tree would get some french bread and charcoal, he'll get my vote. He's already got the biggest (hamburger) in town 

Ajarn, I will try to arrange this. We have french bread, as used in our several varieties of Garlic Bread. Just ask if you want your burger served in french, can be done. Char broiling we are investigating.

Thanks

Philip

Actually, I have to amend my list of best hamburgers. The Easy Diner, or whatever Mango Tree used to be called when it was near Thapae Gate, had fantastic burgers, but when they changed location (at least for a while), they became much smaller, and lost my vote( I think that the price went down, however). Maybe they are big again?

Also, hey Ajarn (the first Adjarn to use that term in his e-mail address around CM). Your sandwiches and brownies were great at CMU. Those amazing brownies would still win as best around, and it is many years later.

Chok Dee L.!

Actually, I have to amend my list of best hamburgers. The Easy Diner, or whatever Mango Tree used to be called when it was near Thapae Gate, had fantastic burgers, but when they changed location (at least for a while), they became much smaller, and lost my vote( I think that the price went down, however). Maybe they are big again?

Also, hey Ajarn (the first Adjarn to use that term in his e-mail address around CM). Your sandwiches and brownies were great at CMU. Those amazing brownies would still win as best around, and it is many years later.

Chok Dee L.!

Ulysses, thanks for your kind comments. More proof that if you present a unique product, with good quality, at a good price, people will buy it- and even remember it fondly almost 10 years later :D

Were you a teacher at CMU then? Those were great times in my life, and the people I worked with at CMU were great, too. Lots of fond memories.... :o

The burgers at Mango tree come in 2 sizes...small and huge. I only buy the 'baby burger' there now, because I was never able to get through more than half of the huge one before getting full...

And Philip, I didn't know about the french bread at Mango Tree.....When I think of french bread, I'm only thinking of the hard-crust french bread from Kasem Store (Mae Kasem also being one of the nicest, kindest, people I know), toasted over a charcoal fire.

If you've got that, you've got me....

Gawd, what a cheap date I am! :D

The best (and cheapest) vegetables: Muang Mai Market.

Yep, but you gotta be carefull about chemicals, too..

The produce market out near CMU is much better because they are chemical free

With the lack of controls or enforcement on chemical pesticide use in Thailand, it pays to try to find the safest vegies and fruit....Some years ago, a beautiful watermelon put me in the hospital...The pesticides had caused my heart to go into an abnormal rythym...Oranges, cantalope, cabbage, watermelon are all especially dangerous, according to my doctor.

The best (and cheapest) vegetables: Muang Mai Market.

Yep, but you gotta be carefull about chemicals, too..

The produce market out near CMU is much better because they are chemical free

With the lack of controls or enforcement on chemical pesticide use in Thailand, it pays to try to find the safest vegies and fruit....Some years ago, a beautiful watermelon put me in the hospital...The pesticides had caused my heart to go into an abnormal rythym...Oranges, cantalope, cabbage, watermelon are all especially dangerous, according to my doctor.

Where to buy music in Chiang-Mai ?

I know quite a lot of small shops but not what i call a decent music shop.

Any idea ?

Where to buy music in Chiang-Mai ?

I know quite a lot of small shops but not what i call a decent music shop.

Any idea ?

Well, being an old fogey, my idea of 'decent' music is music made prior to The Monkees- 60's stuff, Greatful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin....Also stuff like Nat King Cole.

I've had good luck with finding a good choice of old stuff at the small shop in the night bizzare near the MacDonald's intersection on the main drag...80 baht per CD

My Thai friends seem to all go to Tesco or Carrefour (sp), but they only seem to carry the Thai pop stuff.

I also would like to find some place with a selection of Classical music, but haven't had any luck in Chiang Mai...Anyone know of such a place?

[

I also would like to find some place with a selection of Classical music, but haven't had any luck in Chiang Mai...Anyone know of such a place?

Try the music shop on Rachpakinai rd. I can't remember the name but it's someting like "green lemon". Anyway, I'm pretty sure that there the word "green" in the name. I think they have some classical music.

As far as I'm concerned, I've got a good collection of oldies (Grateful dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver MS, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Waughn, Dylan, Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Pink Floyd, Joplin, Iron Butterfly and so on)

Now I would live to find some jazz and jazz-fusion. What I call jazz-fusion is a fusion of jazz and traditional music: eg Rabih Abou-Khalil.

I refer to my earlier post in a thread about purchasing DVDs:

Neo Entertainment Gallery, top floor of the new Central Airport Junction Mall has good selections of CDs as well as DVDs. Good for rental DVDs but excellent if you wish to purchase either CDs or DVDs. I have often ordered through them after checking prices on Amazon, Virgin, Tower Records etc. on the net. The price I have ended up paying has inevitably been equivalent to or lower than that quoted on the web, without adding shipping or duty. Very good value.

For bootlegs the best place is still the Night Bizarre but the available selection severely limited.

Guest IT Manager

There is a thing called a mac PUNPUN at Pun Pun Guesthouse near Rama 9 Bridge. It is beyond description and my son loves it.

Good value and huge. Tomorrow I am going to mango for a burger.

Chiang-Mai fermented sausages, say hua: Sompet market on Moonmuang rd or at the market

try the one near Chiang Mai gate, before the market, close to the bus-stop, a very small

shop, built with some "sankasi", also have "lap" ... a bit spicy :o (have khao-nio too)

beware your head when you step forward to the shop the roof is low :D

and one more ...

for "kaar-moo", the real number one place!

Chang puak food market, start around 5pm, the Kaar-moo stall in the middle left, run by a lady, one thing to recognize it, they have a wood-step to be high enough for work :D

the meat is the smoothest I have ever taste, and the sauce is simply divine :D

francois