Are Open University Degrees Accepted by Thai Authorities?

Hello Everyone,

are work permits issued to graduates from the open university (i.e. B.A. in English Language and Literature) to teach English?

I have read some reports stating that work permits will only be issued to teachers with a degree in education. Is that right?

I have a B.A. in English Language and Literature from Open University, plus a T.E.F.L. certificate and nine years teaching experience.

Surely I am qualified, right?

Kind regards in advance

If you have any university degree the you can get a 2 year waiver to the rule of needing an degree in education.

You can get 2 waivers.

After 2 waivers you will need to be enrolled in a program to get education degree for further waivers.

I think language schools don't require education degrees but also often don't give many hours or work permits

Using your degree you can get the waivers. With a top up to education degree level you will get the teachers license. Look at unitefl and Wells uni

'Philipino' diplomas such as the CPT from New Era University or the Grad DipT from IFUGAO (if still offered) are acceptable & cost around B50,000.

Edited by casualbiker

The degree is for sure recognised here and would bring the same benefits.

The degree is recognised.. not sure what you mean by same benefits. It's ok for waivers but as it's not an ED degree, it's not going to get a 5 year teachers license.

What do you mean recognized?

What do you mean ok for waivers?

More than the usual 2?

It's a lot cheaper than other options.

What benefits?

Waivers?

Salary?

I am not sure if the Pgcei or even a M.Ed from Assumption university would gain access to good international school. Maybe lower level international school.

Possible?