TOT upgrade why did I bother.

worgeordie

TOT sent me a letter saying they were having a promotion,at Meechok Plaza

up here in Chiang Mai, It was for Fiber2U, at the time I had 15/1 Mbps and on

the promotion they were offering 22/2 Mbps for the same price.

Also they were offering 30/3 Mbps for just 200 Bht p.m. more,so i thought I

would go with that,as all my Tv viewing is streamed so need good connection,

anyway when I got there, They said there had been a printing mistake and

it was 25/3 Mbps.so I still went with that, thinking (now know stupidly) that it

would also be faster outside Thailand, 15/1 ,25/3 must be faster ,right,yes

i am getting those speeds CNX -BKK, but sites outside Thailand are not any

faster at all,and in fact don't even seem as fast as what i had in the first place !

Is there anyway i can increase the speed outside Thailand ?, word of advice

never believe a word these providers say,they can say anything,but it wont

be any faster to sites outside Thailand. so if you have a stable service that

is fast enough for your needs,never be tempted to upgrade.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

About 3 weeks ago I switched to 30/3 for BAHT 1200

When I checked the speed always 30/3, however outside Thailand, always low

I am not sure but I think TOT lease lines from CAT inside Thailand, and the bandwidth for international is too small

CAT / TOT are suppose to be investing in more international bandwidth, but that will take time

As of today I do not see any solutions, as you say its a rip off

TOT has been trying to upgrade their international connection, but since the new government has taken over, the new board of trustees has put all projects on hold. I spoke with a friend who works for TOT and I was told it might be a year before any improvements....so, yes....a waste of money for all services that claim higher speeds. Once the line reaches the border of Thailand....molasses.

We had a similar thread here a few weeks ago - in the end, I suggested to the OP of that one to adjust his MTU down to 1450, and IIRC he went from crap international speeds to awesome. Log onto your router and give it a try.

Edit: here's the thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/769126-internet-speeds-in-thailand-are-a-joke/?p=8546843

He went from 3mbps to 29mbps international with that one simple tweak.

Edited by IMHO

We had a similar thread here a few weeks ago - in the end, I suggested to the OP of that one to adjust his MTU down to 1450, and IIRC he went from crap international speeds to awesome. Log onto your router and give it a try.

Edit: here's the thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/769126-internet-speeds-in-thailand-are-a-joke/?p=8546843

He went from 3mbps to 29mbps international with that one simple tweak.

I found the MTU and lowered it from 1480 to 1450 but I have no idea where the IIRC is. can you tell me where to look?

If I Recall Correctly = IIRC

But I don't know what an MTU is blink.pngfacepalm.gif Is that something that is set on the router? How do I access that? I just moved to a new apartment and signed up for some TOT VDSL (which is being claimed as being fiber optic, is it? I don't think so). Supposed to be 30mbts/3mbts (B1,5xx!!). It works ok on my laptop, the speed test told me I was getting those exact speeds (although it seemed about the same or less than the 20/2 at my last place.) But when using my android box on the tv, its really slow!! Can this MTU thing help?

Edited by taony

If I Recall Correctly = IIRC

But I don't know what an MTU is blink.pngfacepalm.gif Is that something that is set on the router? How do I access that? I just moved to a new apartment and signed up for some TOT VDSL (which is being claimed as being fiber optic, is it? I don't think so). Supposed to be 30mbts/3mbts (B1,5xx!!). It works ok on my laptop, the speed test told me I was getting those exact speeds (although it seemed about the same or less than the 20/2 at my last place.) But when using my android box on the tv, its really slow!! Can this MTU thing help?

MTU = Maximum Transmission Unit

Packets get lost and lagged in transit - setting this lower means your router asks for smaller chunks of data, which can improve reliability, and therefore speed.