Lenovo ThinkPad

Sandello

Are you sure you want a Lenovo? It's a Chinese computer.

China bought the US company IBM's PC division and named it Lenovo. When they were IBM branded computers they were very good, but the Lenovo doesn't have as good a reputation as more mainstream brands made in Japan or the US.

Granted, China makes a lot of parts for computers, but if made for the US or Japan, they are made in US or Japanese designed and supervised factories.

I've never tried Lenovo, but according to the specs it looks really great. I can't name another laptop with:

1. Matte FHD screen 15". I have glossy screen now and it's killing me :)

2. 4gen Core real MQ CPUs. (I don't know why, but a lot of laptops now have Core U CPUs, which isn't good for my work)

3. Easy access to ram\fan\battery design. (to clean fan in my laptop I have to spend up to 2 hours and disassemble it entirely).

4. Real metal frame. (I had Samsung once and it was really sad experience — its body fell apart literally. Metal plugs for screws tore out of plastic body, when I tried to disassemble it to clean cooling system, 'cause it was hot-as-hell. By the way, cooling system was clean — it was hot because wrong engeneering or something. It was hot all the time :( ).

5. Win\*nix friendly hardware.

6. Dual battery design.

7. And cool black-rect design, at last :)

Maybe you know something.

I know that Lenovo is «made-in-China-laptop». Everything now is made in China :)

I'm very pleased with my Lenovo Z510 IdeaPad 4th generation i7 CPU quad core laptop which is almost a year old now. 15.6" screen. Very fast. 2 year warranty. When running it's hard to feel any heat being generated/radiated anywhere except a little bit at the fan outlet. Bought it at BananaIT which had the best deal at the time. Lenovo has an excellent support website that even includes maintenance manuals. Lenovo has come a long way and now build some of the best quality computers.

There is a LENOVO store on the 4th level of Central World with many of their professional models on display.

A friend who is a professional IT consultant to medium sized businesses subscribes to an internet site that compiles and publishes repair and maintenance data for computer and IT equipment manufacturers. Lenovo tops the list for least maintenance issues and has for a long time.

I will say that my one experience with Lenovo's 3rd party, contracted service center in Pantip Plaza was very frustrating and the service very poor and dishonest.

I remember a time when all Japanese electronics were unfairly considered "Crap", then Korean & Taiwanese goods got the same tag.

Name me a top brand of almost any electronic device that does not have some substantial components made in China?

Edited by dddave

I remember a time when all Japanese electronics were unfairly considered "Crap", then Korean & Taiwanese goods got the same tag.

And rightly so. In the 1980s Korea started selling monitors, they were a bad joke even by the standards of those days. Taiwan produced any sort of cards for the PC, it was where most non-brand name components were made at the time. Those of us building PCs who couldn't afford brand-name graphics cards and instead bought the Taiwan stuff learned a lesson in quality, though simpler things like drive connector cards and serial port cards usually came through. I still have some gray hairs from trying to get my first modem card to work -- it didn't, it was Taiwanese crap!

ThinkPads, are solid performers and get very good warranty.

I bought my Lenovo ThinkPad X230 in Hong Kong in 2012, use it everyday, travel with it: happy. I had 1 problem with the keyboard: changed, free of charge, under the 3-year international warranty @ the IBM Lenovo ThinkPad Service Centre in Bangkok. So far so good. Now, I can't comment on the more recent models.

You can find the "T" models @ Fortune IT Mall in Bangkok. Price might be better in Hong Kong or Singapore...

http://www.lenovo.com/th/en/

• 3 weeks later...

The new ThinkPad T440s is counted as the best business notebook ever built. Sorry but your "It's a Chinese computer" statement does not count in the year 2014 anymore wink.png

May I explain you thes logan "Made in germany". It was introduced by Britain in the 1900s to mark imported foreign german products with lower quality. You know what "Made in Germany" means today.

China bought the US company IBM's PC division and named it Lenovo. When they were IBM branded computers they were very good, but the Lenovo doesn't have as good a reputation as more mainstream brands made in Japan or the US.

Granted, China makes a lot of parts for computers, but if made for the US or Japan, they are made in US or Japanese designed and supervised factories.

I'm sorry, but that's nothing more than unfounded opinion.

Lenovo make excellent products, I bought 15 of their Thinkpad Twists and every single one of them works like a champ.

They are a well established company with offices in 60 countries and research facilities in the US and China. They were the Number one PC company last year.

And they've just bought IBM's Server business too.

If you are going to criticise them, at least offer some kind of evidence to back up your claim.

I've had more problems with Dells than I have with Lenovos.

Edited by Chicog

The lenovo I purchased was my worsed computer ever. Many problems and no service at all although purchased in Paragon. After 2 weeks screen went blank took 2 months to repair, when returned they put normal screen iso touch screen. Another 1 month it was returned. After that screen goes black every time it is being charged. Of course I needed to buy another computer, Apple Mac air is such a relieve!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 3 months later...

Well, my HP is about to die, not much more than 3 years old and i already had to take it in to get repaired after the blue screen appeared a few times and then became broke down completely.

I am thinking of the ThinkPad and possibly the ThinkPad Yoga.

I am wondering what the pros and cons are between the two.

I don't want to pay more for the yoga positions, if i get an inferior machine for the price.

The main thing for me is durability. I know several people with Lenovo laptops which are over 6 years-old and working like new, or at least better than my 3 year HP!

I don't really need a high spec as i only use the laptop for basic things.

Will have a look at prices today.

Well, my HP is about to die, not much more than 3 years old and i already had to take it in to get repaired after the blue screen appeared a few times and then became broke down completely.

I am thinking of the ThinkPad and possibly the ThinkPad Yoga.

I am wondering what the pros and cons are between the two.

I don't want to pay more for the yoga positions, if i get an inferior machine for the price.

The main thing for me is durability. I know several people with Lenovo laptops which are over 6 years-old and working like new, or at least better than my 3 year HP!

I don't really need a high spec as i only use the laptop for basic things.

Will have a look at prices today.

I've got the Thinkpad Twist (I actually bought 15 of them and not a problem with one).

But I never actually use it as a tablet funnily enough.

So unless you think you're going to have a pressing need to touch it, I would just stick with a laptop.