Thais need to stop using and accepting Styrofoam products

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL
Thais need to stop using and accepting Styrofoam products
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The foam product that many of us get meals and drinks in is a hazardous item that takes years to break down. It should be banned

Most people know it as Styrofoam, the trade name of a polystyrene foam product used for all sorts of things because of its insulation properties.

From cups and containers that keep your food and coffee hot or cold, to packing material that serve as cushion so your computers - or whatever you're shipping - will not get banged up in the process. It's light weight, about 95 per cent air, means it won't cost you virtually anything in terms of extra shipping cost.

But the whole world is against it and so should Thailand and the Thai people.

As far back as a 1986 a report by the US Environmental Protection Agency report on solid waste said the polystyrene manufacturing process was the fifth largest creator of hazardous waste.

The basic building block of polystyrene is styrene, which is classified by the EPA as possibly carcinogenic (something that can cause cancer). Measures have been taken by US and other governments to limit the amount of worker exposure to styrene.

In Thailand, many restaurants and eateries use polystyrene foam products, or Styrofoam, to put food in for customers who wish to do a take-away.

What the vendors don't say or don't know is that when toxic chemicals are unleashed from these products into the food they contain, especially when heated in a microwave. And of course, these chemicals are a threat to consumers' health and reproductive systems.

Just as bad is the fact that technology to recycle polystyrene foam is extremely limited and thus, costly.

According to Thailand's Pollution Control Department (PDC), the number of used and discarded pieces of styrofoam in Thailand has grown significantly, from 34 million in 2009 to 61 million a day in 2013. Talking about being out of touch with the rest of the world.

PCD director general Wichien Jungrungruang said the huge increase was because many Thais, especially those in cities, put convenience and comfort before environmental care or health concern.

It takes more than 100 years for styrofoam to decompose, he said. Because of the health risk, Wichian suggested that consumers use compostable plastic or containers made from cassava and sugarcane, or other eco-friendly containers.

The government should kickstart a campaign to set good examples for the public to follow.

But it takes two to tango.

Statistics on the use of styrofoam suggest that Thai people are somewhat indifferent to public health and environmental concerns. But there is also the argument that the public has not been properly informed about the consequences of the product itself.

Or we could put the blame game aside and do something about it, like properly educate people about the health and environmental consequences.

And if they continue to put their convenience over their own and others' well being, then the government needs to go beyond campaigns and think about fines, punishment, and law enforcement.

The message is not just about personal safety of one self. It's about the personal safety of the people around you and the world we live in.

An informed public that continues to ignore warning message is nothing less than a sad reflection of society. Sadly, we have got a government that tends to put popularity above unpopular measures. However, a government with any sense of responsibility would just show some guts and ban the product.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Thais-need-to-stop-using-and-accepting-Styrofoam-p-30246769.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-02

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Statistics on the use of styrofoam suggest that Thai people are somewhat indifferent to public health and environmental concerns."

Obvious statement! Thais don't seem to give a fig about the environment.......we have a rubbish dump in out area..(Cha Am)....over 7 rai....& 3m high with plastic bags!!

Just ban it............from XX date it's not to be manufactured or sold in Thailand........

where? haven't seen it(or do you mean our daily fresh market?whistling.gif ).i mean i see rubbish everywhere(even Cha Am is not as bad as Hua Hin )but this big one i have missed.

such a shame i love our little "village".

The only way that they will be able to reduce the use of Styrofoam other than ban it is to come up with another container that is biodegradable and costs less!

I remember many years ago in the US when the grocery stores gave you a choice of bags at checkout "plastic or paper" now it's hard to even find a suitable paper bag!

• Like 1

Only in Thailand do you get 4 straws and a plastic bag of you buy a can of coke from a 7/11.

Styro keeps the fried rice hot for longer. Make somchai happy.

Sent from my LG-D858

Coke? Same with a can of beer!

Taking the boat back from one of the islands last week, some tourists behind us were disgusted by the amount of trash floating in the sea, and it wasn't all fishing floats and buoys.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Add plastic bags to the debate,when my daughter was at infants school,

the teacher had them do a little play, she said to 4 kids you can be Farangs

go and act throwing rubbish around and the others can be Thais and pick it up !

they teach them denial from an early age,its always someone else's fault.

regards Worgeordie

And to add insult to injury those are considered "good" teachers.

So embarrassing.................

• Like 1

The only way that they will be able to reduce the use of Styrofoam other than ban it is to come up with another container that is biodegradable and costs less!

I remember many years ago in the US when the grocery stores gave you a choice of bags at checkout "plastic or paper" now it's hard to even find a suitable paper bag!

A restaurant here locally uses the biodegradable boxes for all their food, i like it.

• Like 2

Like everything else, they won't listen and they ain't interested,

As long as they can chuck it to the side of the road or in the Sea or a Lake, that will do...

Environment Friendly and Thailand don't mix, bit like Punch and Judy ????

But hopefully in the future, themPenny will drop and they will realise it... Fingers crossed.

When you have no option but to take the package because that is how it is either served or packed makes a mockery of this non researched article , call on the people concerned in the packaging not the person in the street , an article with no basis for anything except to let the manufacturing sector off the hook. bah.gif

"According to Thailand's Pollution Control Department (PDC), the number of used and discarded pieces of styrofoam in Thailand has grown significantly, from 34 million in 2009 to 61 million a day in 2013. Talking about being out of touch with the rest of the world."

WELL FINALLY WELCOME TO THAILAND!

"Or we could put the blame game aside and do something about it, like properly educate people about the health and environmental consequences."

Or they could just BAN the bloody product and be done with it instead of wasting time money and having ridiculous talk fests!

• Like 1

Only in Thailand do you get 4 straws and a plastic bag of you buy a can of coke from a 7/11.

Styro keeps the fried rice hot for longer. Make somchai happy.

Sent from my LG-D858

Coke? Same with a can of beer!

Taking the boat back from one of the islands last week, some tourists behind us were disgusted by the amount of trash floating in the sea, and it wasn't all fishing floats and buoys.

BUT THEM FALLANGS RETURN AND WE CN SCAM THEM MONEE.

Yeah, these are the VERY people who will NOT return and watch this, the next few years will be harder here for Thais. The rubbish will build and they will continue to blame others instead of doing something. But facebook beckons on the mobile...byeeee

I think Harvard Medical School "DISAGREES" with this article and all the fear mongering going on. Time to stop the Urban Legends. Here's the "facts" and not hearsay.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/HEALTHbeat_081606.htm

That is only one side. What about the RUBBISH factor? that is truly just as concerning. AND as for HARVARD? that was the HEALTH news section which OFTEN has different opinions and they quote ONE DOCTOR not a consensus.

The view MEDICALLY on plastic and Styrofoam is IT IS BEST avoided. No need to consult Google. I am a Doctor and that is what I am trained in. CHEMICALS in = CONCERN. Plastics are a concern and we still DO NOT KNOW the full effects of these products but we do know they lead to certain CANCERS.

• Like 2

"Statistics on the use of styrofoam suggest that Thai people are somewhat indifferent to public health and environmental concerns."

Obvious statement! Thais don't seem to give a fig about the environment.......we have a rubbish dump in out area..(Cha Am)....over 7 rai....& 3m high with plastic bags!!

Just ban it............from XX date it's not to be manufactured or sold in Thailand........

where? haven't seen it(or do you mean our daily fresh market?whistling.gif ).i mean i see rubbish everywhere(even Cha Am is not as bad as Hua Hin )but this big one i have missed.

such a shame i love our little "village".

It's out the back of Raibon....Nong Yao area......

I think Harvard Medical School "DISAGREES" with this article and all the fear mongering going on. Time to stop the Urban Legends. Here's the "facts" and not hearsay.

That is only one side. What about the RUBBISH factor? that is truly just as concerning. AND as for HARVARD? that was the HEALTH news section which OFTEN has different opinions and they quote ONE DOCTOR not a consensus.

The view MEDICALLY on plastic and Styrofoam is IT IS BEST avoided. No need to consult Google. I am a Doctor and that is what I am trained in. CHEMICALS in = CONCERN. Plastics are a concern and we still DO NOT KNOW the full effects of these products but we do know they lead to certain CANCERS.

To the contrary, we do know the long term effects. Poly expanded foam has been around for decades. Certain "release " agents used to separate the plastic from the molds caused most of the trouble. Those issues have been resolved. And as a "Doctor" you know that every frigging thing on this planet we come in contact with can cause some form of cancer or disease. Too much or to little will kill you. Petroleum products just being one of them.

But I do agree with the problem of "Trash" being a major concern here and the rest of the world too for that matter. Look at all the garbage floating out in the ocean.

• Like 1

Come on marcusd, I like your posts, but: you might be a Doctor in the sense of PhD in a certain area, but I don't think you are MD, which is completely different?

If your real view is 'chemicals in = concern', you sure, for one, would not be prescribing medicines to treat all sorts of conditions which need chemical bodily interractions - yes or no? Chemicals in = concern - is not an MDs viewpoint - quite the opposite, surely?

• Like 1

“Statistics on the use of styrofoam suggest that Thai people are somewhat indifferent to public health and environmental concerns.”

“…they continue to put their convenience over their own and others' well being” wai2.gif wai.gif

“An informed public that continues to ignore warning message is nothing less than a sad reflection of society”

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1