What Happens if You Go To Immigration Late in the Afternoon?

I went to chaengwattana immigration on Friday, which I know is not the best day to go. I was in line 10 minutes before the place opened to extend my ed visa. I received N1-114 which means, yes, 113 people are in front of me not including N2 tickets. I'm wondering what would have happened if I showed up at 2pm? 3pm? Would they put me off til the next day (Monday)? There were people with tickets in the 300s and at the going rate, they weren't going to be processed before closing time.

Based upon a previous experience at Suan Plu, they'll refuse to give you a ticket and tell you to come back the next day. I was pretty miffed at that since it involved a five hour round trip. (In those days my province didn't have an immigration office.) Ten hours travelling. Two days of work. And several hours of waiting at Suan Plu to be seen. Ah, the good old days!

• Like 1

Must be your choice of place to live and report. In over seven years, eight retiree extensions, a dozen re-entry permits, and approximately 30 90-day reports; the longest I have ever spent at immigration was during the first retiree extension--and that was less than 45 minutes.

I was there two weeks ago and I got there at 10a.m. There were a lot of people in the queue and I did not get my extension until 16.00hrs. People arriving at 15.30hrs were refused queue tickets and told to come back the following day. If you have a ticket you will be served on the same day. I just managed to get my reentry permit by 16.30hrs.

• Like 2

Actually if you arrive at 4pm you still get a queue ticket and are in and out in 20 mins.

"Actually" that's probably not the case. However, I guess if you arrive late when the queue is dying down there there wouldn't be a long wait. Seems they get a move on near the end of the day when they still see many people still waiting.

Must be your choice of place to live and report. In over seven years, eight retiree extensions, a dozen re-entry permits, and approximately 30 90-day reports; the longest I have ever spent at immigration was during the first retiree extension--and that was less than 45 minutes.

Must be your choice of place to live and report.

It's always nice to hear from those people whose experiences are different. A certain smugness and self satisfaction is possibly involved. If you are fortunate to live in the provinces where there are scores to hundreds of foreigners, as I and many others do, immigration procedures can seem to be efficient and speedy. It's another world.

My sympathies lie with the hundreds of thousands of folks who live in Bangkok and the more farang popular areas.

The fact that Bangkok seems to be limited to one main office located in an area not served by BTS/MRT and with traffic deadlock on the street outside most of the time makes dealing with Immigration a painful ordeal for most people.

It may well be time for the Immigration Service to consider opening another permanent facility at another more convenient location within the city. Suan Phlu was always too small and congested given the huge number of people requiring its services.

Just my 50 satangs worth.

• Like 1

My port of call is the Udon Thani office and with the 90 day reports, in and out within 10 minutes. No paperwork to complete, all computerised, I just have to sign what they print out. It doesn't matter what time of day you go.

For the extension of stay, no longer than 45 minutes but because this takes a little longer I make sure I get there after 10.00am or after 2.30pm. Plenty of parking, fully air conditioned and very courteous staff. I think that the person's attitude, appearance and civility has a lot to do with how long you are there.

best to "know" somebody and you never wait more than 20-30 min

you know, those people skipping in front of other, baring gifts for the official and/or his/her boss ?

" ...baring gifts for the official and/or his/her boss ?"

It would be better to bar ridiculous posts. Mai Dee indeed.

Must be your choice of place to live and report.

It's always nice to hear from those people whose experiences are different. A certain smugness and self satisfaction is possibly involved. If you are fortunate to live in the provinces where there are scores to hundreds of foreigners, as I and many others do, immigration procedures can seem to be efficient and speedy. It's another world.

My sympathies lie with the hundreds of thousands of folks who live in Bangkok and the more farang popular areas.

The fact that Bangkok seems to be limited to one main office located in an area not served by BTS/MRT and with traffic deadlock on the street outside most of the time makes dealing with Immigration a painful ordeal for most people.

It may well be time for the Immigration Service to consider opening another permanent facility at another more convenient location within the city. Suan Phlu was always too small and congested given the huge number of people requiring its services.

Just my 50 satangs worth.

Living in the provinces can also mean that there are thousands of Asian foreign factory workers and their families also needing attention.....

I am the only Farang "in the village!", but the queues at our local immigration are always huge.

Even though we "know" someone, it still takes quite a while.

Being a retiree, it's not so bad, time is what I have plenty of.

I feel sorry for the poor buggas who have to take time off work and lose money.....

So I can't say I mind the wait that much.

My port of call is the Udon Thani office and with the 90 day reports, in and out within 10 minutes. No paperwork to complete, all computerised, I just have to sign what they print out. It doesn't matter what time of day you go.

For the extension of stay, no longer than 45 minutes but because this takes a little longer I make sure I get there after 10.00am or after 2.30pm. Plenty of parking, fully air conditioned and very courteous staff. I think that the person's attitude, appearance and civility has a lot to do with how long you are there.

I don't agree.

Just take a number and wait your turn.

If they are very busy - it may take ages.

I've not seen queue jumpers, just mobs of customers to be processed by too few staff!

Why don't they have "filter staff" like they do in Chiang Mai where you get your driving license.

When you have filled in all necessary forms, you take all the documents to a desk.

They check that everything is correct and help you get it right if not.

Then you move very quickly through the various processes.

My experience of immigration for extensions or re-entry permits etc. is that everything is handed to the officer who starts to check, if something is wrong you get booted until you have corrected the problem, wife running about getting the extra photo copy etc.

Back in the loop or if a small mistake, take extra time to make the correction.

This adds to the overall processing time and adds delays for all those after you.

Perhaps they are so understaffed they can't offer this "filter".

It seems to depends on the office.

Back in August I went to Jomtien, first time for retirement extension and second time for re-entry permit.

On both occasions I went after 3.00 pm and was in and out in 15 minutes, although the place was quite busy. I did of course have to go back next day to collect my passport with the retirement extension.

This has always been my experience at Jomtien, and I make a point of going after 3.00 (they close at 4.30). I can't speak for any other immigration office.

I have been to the immigration in the afternoon. No problems. Just be prepared to wait and get it all done at about 4:30 - 5:30. The biggest problem was getting back in town as traffic on that road is a nightmare around that time.

yes it always amuses me how quickly they seem to process the extension applications in that last hour compared with their slowness of the morning session

Edited by Time Traveller

I've never been to immigration in the morning, that's when everyone else goes.

I've been to Chaeng Wattana a few times over the years but it was around 3pm, midweek (deliberately) and I was in and out in no time at all.

Now I'm based in Hua Hin I time it so I arrive at around 3:30pm and I've found it's pretty much always empty at that time of the day.

I've been first thing in the morning, mid morning, just after lunch, and shortly before closing time and never once been there for any longer than 2hrs. Last time I was back in my apartment in central BKK exactly 1.5hrs after I left the apartment to go to immigration.

I've found first thing to be the worst time. Lots of people turn up early hoping to beat the queue.

Mid morning can be great if not too busy a day.

After lunch can be a long wait if there's still lots of people not seem before lunch.

Late afternoon was a breeze. No one there. Harder to get a taxi back though as there were none around.

post linking to another forum removed as per forum rule 13)

13) You will not post links to other Thailand forums, or forums which could reasonably be construed as competition to Thaivisa.com or its sponsors.

lol it was a screenshot not a link, and cropped so the forum was unidentifiable

anyway it was just some other people agreeing that turning up at 4pm gets you in an out in 20 mins