Transferring details into new passport

I am getting a new Australian passport this month. My current passport has a non imm o visa on which I am currently using the last 3 months. I will be going to apply for a fresh non imm visa in December. Upon receipt of the new passport will I have to take both the old and new passports into immigration CW to have the current details tranferred across or can this be done by the thai embassy in KL? Thanks for any advice.

You can just leave on show of both passports and immigration at the border will take care of it (if you leave by air). When you apply for a new non-o visa you will get the visa in the new passport.

So they will do it on leaving Thailand? I was under the impression I had to do this at Chaeng wattana before leaving Thailand.

They will transfer you do the transfer at a border crossing. The visa will not be transferred just your entry/permit to stay stamp.

Even when the old passport has had its corner cut by the australian embassy and is effectively "invalid"? They will still transfer the old stamp to the new passport right? I just dont want to go to Savannakhet and they say "you go to immigration first"

My experience today at Chaeng Wattana Immigration when asking for transfer of stamps to new my passport (I am on an extension of stay). I took both passports, the transfer request form downloaded from the Immigration web site and the Embassy letter. Upon checking in for a que ticket I was told to get a photo copy of my old passport original visa page, extension page and TM6 form as well as the information page of my new passport. After getting copies I was then given a que number for the Non-O extensions que (area L.) Since I got to Immigration late (about 11AM) I got a high number. Went to lunch and returned after 1 PM and waited until 2:45 to see the officer. The officer checked all my documents then stamped my new passport with 6 different stamps: 1. to show old passport info, 2. to show Non-O issue date, 3. to show last entry, 4. a signature stamp for the officer, 5. Extension of stay info, 6. that nice reminder stamp to do a 90 day report(took 2 pages). I was then directed to the supervisors desk for the final signatures. From the time I sat down with the first officer until I had my passport back was about 5 minutes. They did not transfer the Re-Entry Permit. My suggestion is waiting until you have other business at Immigration to do this since one must que up with all the Non-O applicants (no special desk.)

My experience today at Chaeng Wattana Immigration when asking for transfer of stamps to new my passport (I am on an extension of stay). I took both passports, the transfer request form downloaded from the Immigration web site and the Embassy letter. Upon checking in for a que ticket I was told to get a photo copy of my old passport original visa page, extension page and TM6 form as well as the information page of my new passport. After getting copies I was then given a que number for the Non-O extensions que (area L.) Since I got to Immigration late (about 11AM) I got a high number. Went to lunch and returned after 1 PM and waited until 2:45 to see the officer. The officer checked all my documents then stamped my new passport with 6 different stamps: 1. to show old passport info, 2. to show Non-O issue date, 3. to show last entry, 4. a signature stamp for the officer, 5. Extension of stay info, 6. that nice reminder stamp to do a 90 day report(took 2 pages). I was then directed to the supervisors desk for the final signatures. From the time I sat down with the first officer until I had my passport back was about 5 minutes. They did not transfer the Re-Entry Permit. My suggestion is waiting until you have other business at Immigration to do this since one must que up with all the Non-O applicants (no special desk.)

Thanks for the info Asiaexpat. According to Mario there is no need to go to immigration as they will do the transfers at the land border at savannakhet. It would be a lot easier to have it done whilst I am crossing the border rather than a trip out to CW.

Would it be possible to get old stamps transfered into my emergancy passport ( I lost the original and was given a new one valid for 1 year by my embassy, got all the docs +, police report) and get my non immigrant ed 3 month extention on the same day? Or will I have go on 2 seperate days because of the waiting times?

Would it be possible to get old stamps transfered into my emergancy passport ( I lost the original and was given a new one valid for 1 year by my embassy, got all the docs +, police report) and get my non immigrant ed 3 month extention on the same day? Or will I have go on 2 seperate days because of the waiting times?

You can do everything on the same day.

Thanks Paz for the prompt reply!! Will do it all on Monday then.

Be aware that some offices require a letter from your embassy that says you have been issued a new passport (as if having one is not enough evidence).