TAT rolls out campaign to boost domestic travel

webfact

TAT rolls out campaign to boost domestic travel
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is rolling out its "12 Cities...You Can't Say No" campaign to boost domestic travel next year.

TAT Governor Thawatchai Arunyik said on Friday that the authority was using this campaign to boost domestic tourism next year. This campaign is part of TAT's "Fall in Love with Thailand" theme for 2015, created to promote secondary destinations.

"Next year, TAT expects local travellers to take 148 million trips, a 9.5-per-cent increase from this year's projection of 136 million trips," Thawatchai said.

Domestic tourism has been suffering since the military takeover in May, but TAT hopes the industry will rebound in the final quarter. The agency predicts that local tourism could generate about Bt700 billion this year, and see 14 per cent growth to Bt800 billion next year.

One of the key factors expected to drive this growth is the tax-deduction scheme for meetings and conventions-related trips. The government plans to implement this measure until the end of next year in a move to restore the domestic market.

The government is also launching local and foreign campaigns on tourism under martial law, which may be extended into next year.

The Thai Hotels Association reported that operators in major destinations had received a lot more bookings, especially during the year-end period as the government has announced extra holidays for the new-year period. Many of the operators who focus on domestic market will likely achieve almost 100-per-cent occupancy during the year-end period.

Thawatchai said all 12 selected destinations featured unique characters and had the potential to be developed into major attractions.

TAT covers 12 provinces in its latest campaign - Lampang, Phetchabun, Nan, Buri Ram, Loei, Samut Songkhram, Ratchaburi, Trat, Chanthaburi, Trang, Chumphon, and Nakhon Si Thammarat. For many decades now, tourism has only been promoted in six key cities - Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Samui, Chiang Mai and Hun Hin-Cha Am.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/TAT-rolls-out-campaign-to-boost-domestic-travel-30246788.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-03

Finally some sense from TAT. This year's "peak" season is not going to happen with the strength it could. Bolstering the market with domestic tourism will bring some (probably not enough for some businesses) increased revenues. Next year they have a good chance at playing the game again and should focus their big money (i.e. international campaigning) on that. I'm not sure about the direction for the drive but can, hopefully, trust TAT to understand their domestic market better than they seem to understand the international markets.

I hope that they're targeting only high-class 5-star domestic-tourists ? whistling.gif

But if not perhaps TAT should realise, that if normal-people spending lesser-sums are worth growing, then the same logic also applies to foreign visitors too ?

Cash is cash, economic-input all counts wherever it comes from, and people are all just people, whatever their origin !

Finally some sense from TAT. This year's "peak" season is not going to happen with the strength it could. Bolstering the market with domestic tourism will bring some (probably not enough for some businesses) increased revenues. Next year they have a good chance at playing the game again and should focus their big money (i.e. international campaigning) on that. I'm not sure about the direction for the drive but can, hopefully, trust TAT to understand their domestic market better than they seem to understand the international markets.

Sorry mate! not much sense here at all. Just more mumbo jumbo using "i think" "we hope" , "we expect" and "we predict"! They still don't have a clue what they are doing nor do they have a clue what will happen before the end of the year.

I also believe their hotel accommodations being 100% booked is a serious wish. Have you bothered to look in Agoda or other online booking agents? Their list is endless for the holidays with many openings for bookings in every hotel all over Thailand.

Agoda and those allocated (buy) tickets ahead of time. While they may have tickets, the hotel may not and vice versa.

When I travel to local resorts, they are often full on the weekends. The last two trips I made in the last couple months in the low season to Koh Samet and the Hua Hin Hilton were both sold out over the weekend while I was there. The vast majority of those guests were Thai and from other Asian countries.

The number of hotels continues to grow rapidly each year, even during the global economic meltdown, in Thailand and many are luxury type hotels. There also seems to be a decline in the cheaper available rooms in resort areas as the older places are renovated or tore down to make room for more modern and upscale accommodations.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Does any body really believe the crap the dribbles out of these peoples mouths? % this and % that. utter crap. Buri Ram? the home to retired/got lucky hookers. yeah i wanna go and see that. town filled with retired westerners wearing sandals with socks and 40 year old ex bar girls with tattoos and attitude.

This country is a joke

All very good!! Makes money move around within Thailand.

But doesn't create any income for the country!!whistling.gif

"Next year, TAT expects local travellers to take 148 million trips, a 9.5-per-cent increase from this year's projection of 136 million trips," Thawatchai said." <quote>

A projection based on another projection??

Fortuneteller??coffee1.gif

Give me 6 billion annual and I will do a better job than this motley crew. How many staff do they have to do what they DON'T do ????

Mega investigation should be conducted on this so called agency to see where the money goes that they are allocated annually. This lot are a joke and no one for years has done anything to peg them back or ask questions. Follow the money.

Does any body really believe the crap the dribbles out of these peoples mouths? % this and % that. utter crap. Buri Ram? the home to retired/got lucky hookers. yeah i wanna go and see that. town filled with retired westerners wearing sandals with socks and 40 year old ex bar girls with tattoos and attitude.

This country is a joke

Can we assume that you are a part of this joke?

Or are you fortunate enough to live in a better environment?

He wouldn't say this if he lived there. If he did he would be dead meat long ago. Bur Ram is a mega area with all walks of life and a decent football team.

I will add he has a point as all big city areas have there share of sandals--tattoos--attitude but this is Thailand. BUT they are not filled with this type.

Bla bla bla, more BS to kid themselves all will be well. Teaching Thai's to ''Fall in love with Thailand '' ? But, but, it's all they are ever taught to do at school isn't it ?

Majority of Thai's who live around me have barely been out of their own village boundaries; and i'm not expecting that to change much as they are unlikely to find ways to 'magic' some money for travel expenses.

• Like 1

The TAT representatives in Phuket/Pattaya, ( aka - bar girls ), know who/what/when/where and most importantly, HOW MUCH for all the ATTRACTIONS they know their specific high end spenders want to see. They, the attractions, I assure everyone are not hours long, dangerous,broken down van rides to see a bunch of rocks and a few dirty old buffalos !

If a few of these " Evening Blossoms" were on the TAT payroll, Thailand would see a whole lot more tourists !

• Like 1

The Junta and their corruption has near on destroyed international tourism for Thailand, no amount of domestic travel can compensate for the enormous losses now being felt throughout the economy.

Bring back democracy and the tourists will return.