Phar Lap

tim armstrong

THe owner of Phar Lap had a friend or connection who was Thai (cannot remember offhand who) basically the owner buying the horse said he runs like lightning and the thai said that in thai that was PharLap so that became the name.,

THis is the popular version anyway.

Wikopaedia gives,

According to the Museum of Victoria, Aubrey Ping, a medical student at the University of Sydney, suggested "farlap" as the horse's name. Ping knew the word from his father, a Zhang-speaking Chinese immigrant. Telford liked the name, but changed the F to PH to create a seven letter word, which was split in two in keeping with the dominant naming pattern of Melbourne Cup winners.[13]

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

I remember as a child seeing his heart in a Canberra museum. It was much larger than a normal horses' heart. The first time here hearing my wife describe lightning I didn't think about a connection, but the second wiki explanation I believe to be true. Thanks for the tips David.

I remember as a child seeing his heart in a Canberra museum. It was much larger than a normal horses' heart. The first time here hearing my wife describe lightning I didn't think about a connection, but the second wiki explanation I believe to be true. Thanks for the tips David.

Yes i remember seeing it in about 1979. The dome shaped Museum.

You exhibit horse hearts in your museums? Strange.

Not strange, mate. Phar Lap was phenomenal, and as mentioned, his heart was HUGE.

That's what museums are for.

Was an amazing Race.

I didn't see 'Who Shot the Barman' as a chance ... ran third.

But the big news is that the Japanese Horse, the Melbourne Cup favourite, Admire Rakti, ran last, collapsed later in his Stall and has been pronounced dead!

So gambling is now legal on TV?

Get a life.

We have a common interest.

We are discussing one of the greatest sporting animals the world has seen.

We are discussing the biggest horse race in Australia

Thai Visa is not supporting or encouraging Betting or gambling.

Get a life.

Not strange, mate. Phar Lap was phenomenal, and as mentioned, his heart was HUGE.

That's what museums are for.

Isn't the exoskeleton in one place, the hide in another and the heart in a 3rd place?

A true legend and sporting history of both Australia and New Zealand.

You betcha....not.

No-one is talking odd or best bets.

Just the relative merits or the runners.

Just as we would is we were at work in Australia, comparing which horse we got in the sweep, then watching it on TV and cheering our horse on.

Now, in equine terms, we discuss Black Caviar as we discuss Phar Lap.

Get a life.

We have a common interest.

We are discussing one of the greatest sporting animals the world has seen.

We are discussing the biggest horse race in Australia

Thai Visa is not supporting or encouraging Betting or gambling.

Get a life.

lol rather ironic someone who lives on TV replying to thing not even concerning him. telling someone to get a life.

Asking for tips? Discussing gambling.

I don't have as many posts as you but probabky been a member twice as long.

Was an amazing Race.

I didn't see 'Who Shot the Barman' as a chance ... ran third.

But the big news is that the Japanese Horse, the Melbourne Cup favourite, Admire Rakti, ran last, collapsed later in his Stall and has been pronounced dead!

See, that's why Phar Lap's heart was so phenomenal. He could do it without collapsing.

Sad that a horse is driven to compete so strongly that it kills him. I wonder if Peta will raise their ugly heads over this..

• Like 1