Avoid reporting on Thaksin, PM tells media

webfact

Now that Thaksin is gone has there been even the slightest of drops in corruption - no, I'm sure time will show it's been quite the opposite and the microphones are just the tip of the ice berg.

Only fools bought the corruption story and only fools of the highest order still buy the corruption story.

The corruption story was absolutely true.

The corruption index under Yingluck revealed it to worsen every year and her last year earned Thailand's most corrupt index score it has ever received.

Will that change? You say you are "sure" it will get even worse.

Personally, I'll wait for the next Transparency International's actual Corruption Index rating as I've never had much faith in self-proclaimed fortune tellers. Also, I don't believe T.I. are the "fools" you say they are.

If you are referring to the Transparency International Corruption Perception Index, it may not show much improvement. The corruption measurements are generally higher under military governments, and Thailand's score increased significantly after the 2006 coup. Also, perceptions are not helped by news articles such as this: http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/thai-junta-beset-by-corruption-scandals/, identified by iReason in post #17. Finally, the OP is about Prayuth encouraging self-censorship, which is the opposite of transparency, and doesn't help with corruption perceptions.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hunt down this SOB. Bring him back in chains and lock him up.

Charge him with TREASON.

Case closed

You might have missed the part in the middle - the bit about being proven guilty beyond all reasonable doubt in a court of law with a legal team present to defend him before the case is closed - or is this dreadfully old-fashioned thinking these days?

Can his legal team consist of those lawyers that offered millions of baht in a bribe attempt of the Supreme Court?

btw, his legal team was fully present during all his court case proceedings and also were present and available to appeal the verdict, which they opted not to do.

His earlier adjudicated case IS closed. He owes two years in prison for it.

What does this have to do with the charge of treason as advocated by the previous poster?

I predict that shortly there will be a ban on mentioning his name or posting articles about him here on TVF ?

Who? Thaksin or the PM – or both?

Both

How's the somtam-- good huh? well everything is good. good good good. Are you happy- I sure am happy.

OH- I sure hate Thaksin - don't you? Yep- good somtam-- good good.

Edited by blaze

Does no photos of people breaking the law include people who umm let's say, declared themselves PM??

Oh wait, that's not a crime anymore lol

And the quote ' when the media report, people ask why the government isn't taking action'

Yes General, where is the action, you don't want the media to do their job as it shows your total incompetence!

Treason was a capital offence until the army changed the law with tanks and stuff. On the media thing, he's making it worse with his Lt Frank Drebben line of ''Nothing to see here, nothing to see...move along.''

I thought he would like Thaksin's face in the press as it gives him and supporters an excuse. ''Yeah the economy is a mess, martial law is in place, tourist numbers down, democracy is over, the elite are in control again, we're anti corruption and just happen to be multi millionaires, eating a sanswich can get you arrested, there is no academic freedom making Thai degrees even more worthless than they already were, we're getting slagged off by the international community over the lack of free elections and poor human rights, we're indoctrinating the kids at school, we're gonna end free healthcare and payments to the elderly, an Admiral with no relevant qualifications is the Education Minister (not great with a curriculum, but boy he can get those kids to march and chant!), xenophobia is the new black, all this may be a big issue.....but....but...The Shins!...The Shins...''

And from the cheap seats at the Thai Visa Forum- a bunch of guys in toques and galloshes-- 'goddam right- we hate shins- we hate shins..'

(t shirts emblazoned- 'education: the truth will set you free'.= with a picture of a caged buffalo wearing a red cap).

And the lights are going out-- all over thailand.

Edited by blaze
  • Like 1

If you think that Thaksin was the only one involved in that you really have not paid any attention all. Names a little closer to the current seat of power were just as complicit.

Nice of you to admit that he was involved at all, I was beginning to think that he could do no wrong, according to your posts.

Now see if he'll admit that he was the chief architect of the war, initiated it, supervised it, and claimed credit for its eventual "victory" when he boldly announced "all drugs have been eradicated".

I would like to see him prosecuted for his role in the drug wars-- I do believe that the deaths that resulted were not gang on gang-- IF there is evidence that he ordered the killings- I personally believe that he was smart enough to skirt around direct orders-- and leave underlings out to dry-- that is a problem of law- and perhaps his misguided approach to the quick fix-. But there have been ample opportunities to prosecute him-- and why is it that nobody- from the Sarayud gov't-- from the Abhisit gov't has seen fit to do so?

I don't know if you were in thailand at the time- but this was the single most univerally popular undertaking of his rule.

And as has been suggested- he was actively encouraged by the upper most levels of thai 'society'.

The war on drugs offends us farangs-- but it did not offend the thais- even his political enemies-- (their complaint at the time was that he had not been sufficiently thorough).

And you only have to read a few posts about suspected drug dealers to realize how politicized the farangs are about this-- many shrilling the loudest about due process and compassion- are at the forefront of the hang 'em 'high brigade when it comes to a suspected dealer caught at their kids' school.

as far as I'm concerned and my Thai family and many thai friends we will support anything that gets rid of the vile creature a d hid clone and all the shin clan for ever. This includes if need be suppression of press stopping hs red shirt thug army broadcasting their pathetic proper gander to inundated and gullible poor many of whom who through no fault of their own are easily swayed by a few hundred baht or promises of riches in future. IT also includes if needed house arrest without trial or if that does not work prison for any who keep trying to impose their masters will on suffering thais and continue to promote his long term aim of becoming of first dictator president of Thailand. Country is now largely at peace and red shirt dangerous violence put in its place. If it takes years to put last 10+ years of Taksin totally corrupt regime so be it even if it replaces it with a new back to normal 10% corruption which Taksin replaced with I want it all. In over 30 years here I and friends who have been here longer have seen over Taksin last 10+ years increasing levels of greed and corruption and whole stinking mess turn Thailand from a law abiding working growing place steadily improving in standards of living, education and health to nothing more than a slowly disintergrating state and thank goodness Taksin has not been able yet to destroy it all.

IF you fell its not right well then leave please. Most of us who have been here a long time totally approve of the general and will support him 100% unless which wont happen severe human rights are broken and i dont mean relatively small losses of some freedoms and if it does not go asa far as some of Taksins deed in the past where many were killed without trial.

• Like 2

as far as I'm concerned and my Thai family and many thai friends we will support anything that gets rid of the vile creature a d hid clone and all the shin clan for ever. This includes if need be suppression of press stopping hs red shirt thug army broadcasting their pathetic proper gander to inundated and gullible poor many of whom who through no fault of their own are easily swayed by a few hundred baht or promises of riches in future. IT also includes if needed house arrest without trial or if that does not work prison for any who keep trying to impose their masters will on suffering thais and continue to promote his long term aim of becoming of first dictator president of Thailand. Country is now largely at peace and red shirt dangerous violence put in its place. If it takes years to put last 10+ years of Taksin totally corrupt regime so be it even if it replaces it with a new back to normal 10% corruption which Taksin replaced with I want it all. In over 30 years here I and friends who have been here longer have seen over Taksin last 10+ years increasing levels of greed and corruption and whole stinking mess turn Thailand from a law abiding working growing place steadily improving in standards of living, education and health to nothing more than a slowly disintergrating state and thank goodness Taksin has not been able yet to destroy it all.

IF you fell its not right well then leave please. Most of us who have been here a long time totally approve of the general and will support him 100% unless which wont happen severe human rights are broken and i dont mean relatively small losses of some freedoms and if it does not go asa far as some of Taksins deed in the past where many were killed without trial.

Suppression of the press, arrest and imprisonment without trial, well there is no doubt where your sympathies lie is their. Jackboots fit allright do they? You old Blackshirt tinker you you!

• Like 1

I quite agree with this. Thaksin is just too polarizing for Thailand and besides there is nothing really newsworthy about him anymore.

You are quite wrong then.

The Juntas dislike for Thaksin stems from the fact that he unites too many Thais (and therefore continues to win election after election).

To say that there is nothing really newsworthy about Thaksin is even more wrong than your first error.

This country will eventually be back in Thaksin's hands and how that change of government occurs will affect millions of peoples lives.

There will most likely be more deaths and most certainly be more economic hardship before the ghastly yellows are finally done away with for good.

Actually, he is very right. Thaksin DOES unite too many Thais. Those that love him AND those that hate him. That's why he is "polarizing".

The first group is about triple the size of the second group.

Oh the irony!!

By this stupid statement, he brings Thaksin straight into the media spotlight again!!coffee1.gif

Excellent point clap2.gif

Thaksin and others like him should be continually exposed for all their wrongdoings so the public see that the law is there and will be equally applied which begs the question as to why nothing has ever been done to bring him back to face justice along with so many others, for example the Red Bull heir and a certain ex monk.

Students are to be taught an officially santised version of Thai history and now it's to include the law or rather the lack of it.

Closing your eyes to Thaksin doesn't make him go away and only reinforces the regular story that id your a rich ' somebody ' you will be excused almost anything.

General you are way out of your depth other than being a typical bog standard Thai leader, only the ' dress of the day 'is different.

Wow, a flurry of red-shirt nonsense on this thread. Where are you guys on the serious stuff like the effects of the rice scheme and what Pheu-Thai did to the country to force this mess ?. Oh sorry, I forgot about the double standards for a moment.

It doesn't take a lot of thought to realise that Prayuth's only concern is that it makes people ask the question what the government are doing about it. This is clearly because they are doing nothing. I'm pretty sure Prayuth has done a deal with Thaksin to keep out of politics until after the reforms. His plan is to let the reformed law take care of people like Thaksin. Much better to oust the dirty politicians legally than set red-shirt terrorists back on the streets.

Will he succeed ?. Not a chance. The only way out for Thailand is an exit stage-left for Thaksin.

• Like 1

Hunt down this SOB. Bring him back in chains and lock him up.

Charge him with TREASON.

Case closed

You might have missed the part in the middle - the bit about being proven guilty beyond all reasonable doubt in a court of law with a legal team present to defend him before the case is closed - or is this dreadfully old-fashioned thinking these days?

Have you missed the bit about him being a convicted criminal fugitive?

Did you bother to to read baboon's post - and then perhaps wandered out into the street to get someone smarter to explain the finer points of it that elude you - before you responded? Your post seems to indicate not.

I know this is a quantum leap for you, but being convicted of anything in a court that does not rise to a globally acceptable burden of evidence is usually deemed - for want of a better phrase, but it will do - mickey mouse. Such was the nature of the court that you claim made him a "convicted criminal fugitive". If you are unable to differentiate then the judgement becomes worthless.

If I recall, the case was brought by the junta-created AEC and then the conviction came down from a junta-packed criminal court.

that's globally acceptable... or maybe not. clap2.gif

• Like 2

I predict that shortly there will be a ban on mentioning his name or posting articles about him here on TVF ?

That would be grand!whistling.gif

I agree, the sight of Thaksin's face makes me want to puke, and the mention of his name reminds me of dead alleged drug dealers who weren't given an opportunity to go to the Olympics....and not return.

Ever tried not reading any threads where his name and/or family name is not mentioned? Or maybe you like puking?

Maybe you're right, from now on, if I feel like puking...i'll read your posts.

Does no photos of people breaking the law include people who umm let's say, declared themselves PM??

And the quote ' when the media report, people ask why the government isn't taking action'

Yes General, where is the action, you don't want the media to do their job as it shows your total incompetence!

I'll start off by saying that you are entitled to your opinion but like many others on here why does it have to be negative and one sided.

Are you are citizen of Thailand? Doubt it. Do you live in Thailand? Doubt it but if you are by chance an ex-pat, what are you on about? Last I heard was that 93% of Thais were happy with what he is doing. If you are a guest in this country, then act as one. If you came to my home and started bagging someone then you would be asked to leave and not come back.

It was a bloodless coup, the killings of political opponents has stopped, as has the bickering and stalemate between the elected clowns of both persuasions. Obviously you have forgotten about the failures of the previous government and the lies they told, their attempted passing of the amnesty bill through parliament at 1.30am, which if successful, would have cleared all convicted criminals including your idol. Competent? Also, show me the statute that says the General has committed a crime by taking the position of PM. Did you know or have you conveniently forgotten that he had to have the King's sanction to take this position.

Are you a member of the government, do you know what is going on behind the scenes? Doubt it. Please tell me what your standing and position in society is so that we can possibly make a statement as to your competency to take part in this Forum.

Before anyone starts calling out colours, I have not suggested any and I am not aligned either way. I am just sick and tired of people being bagged by ill informed bogans who can only assume or speculate on other peoples' skills and attributes. I hardly think the man is incompetent considering his prior position.. There are some aspects that he may have been able to do better but I am not qualified to make such a call as you have.

There may be a few statements in the media that have been attributed to him, and the wording leaves a little to be desired but then we have to be cautious as to whether or not it is a direct quote or the possibility of a misinterpretation, which is quite prevalent in Thailand.

Maybe he does not want to give the convicted criminal a chance of being glorified by his supporters and allow them to continue with their motivations for having him return, that is, unless he is prepared to do the time but alas, I doubt very much if he would oblige.

If the PM's speech meant the non photographing of all criminals, not just Thaksin, then yes, I would agree. I am only interested in them being detained and if guilty, convicted, not what they look like unless police cannot locate them and need the help of the public. Also,I really do not think that photographs showing a convicted criminal living the high life and where he travels to is news worthy. I think that this aspect is a total slap in the face to all Thais.

• Like 1

I'll start off by saying that you are entitled to your opinion but like many others on here why does it have to be negative and one sided.

Are you are citizen of Thailand? Doubt it. Do you live in Thailand? Doubt it but if you are by chance an ex-pat, what are you on about? Last I heard was that 93% of Thais were happy with what he is doing. If you are a guest in this country, then act as one. If you came to my home and started bagging someone then you would be asked to leave and not come back.

It was a bloodless coup, the killings of political opponents has stopped, as has the bickering and stalemate between the elected clowns of both persuasions. Obviously you have forgotten about the failures of the previous government and the lies they told, their attempted passing of the amnesty bill through parliament at 1.30am, which if successful, would have cleared all convicted criminals including your idol. Competent? Also, show me the statute that says the General has committed a crime by taking the position of PM. Did you know or have you conveniently forgotten that he had to have the King's sanction to take this position.

Are you a member of the government, do you know what is going on behind the scenes? Doubt it. Please tell me what your standing and position in society is so that we can possibly make a statement as to your competency to take part in this Forum.

Before anyone starts calling out colours, I have not suggested any and I am not aligned either way. I am just sick and tired of people being bagged by ill informed bogans who can only assume or speculate on other peoples' skills and attributes. I hardly think the man is incompetent considering his prior position.. There are some aspects that he may have been able to do better but I am not qualified to make such a call as you have.

There may be a few statements in the media that have been attributed to him, and the wording leaves a little to be desired but then we have to be cautious as to whether or not it is a direct quote or the possibility of a misinterpretation, which is quite prevalent in Thailand.

Maybe he does not want to give the convicted criminal a chance of being glorified by his supporters and allow them to continue with their motivations for having him return, that is, unless he is prepared to do the time but alas, I doubt very much if he would oblige.

If the PM's speech meant the non photographing of all criminals, not just Thaksin, then yes, I would agree. I am only interested in them being detained and if guilty, convicted, not what they look like unless police cannot locate them and need the help of the public. Also,I really do not think that photographs showing a convicted criminal living the high life and where he travels to is news worthy. I think that this aspect is a total slap in the face to all Thais.

Thanks for your reply to my post, you make some valid points and I like how you make them without getting personal (besides the bogan comment but I have been called worse).

First of all, I do live in Thailand, have for many years, I have a Thai wife and son and I pay a shipload of tax per year. So I believe I have the right to comment as I do call this place my home, others may think I have no right to comment and that is their opinion. As to my position in society, not really sure how to answer, I have a good job pay my taxes don’t do anything illegal but please explain how that matters?

93% support? We might have to disagree on how accurate those figures are.

I completely agree on the previous government, total failure bordering on criminal, and if the General wanted to make a statement he would cancel someone's passport, issue arrest warrant and extradite him, why hasn’t this happened?

When someone makes a negative comment about the current regime, why do people reply with how bad the last government was, so because the last one was really really bad, now its okay to accept just really bad!

Regarding the taking of power by force, if it wasn’t a crime why did he have to grant himself amnesty. I will not comment about what type of approval he may or may not have received.

But back to the main point, I believe he is and has shown he is incompetent, nothing has been achieved and stifling free speech and eradicating all opposition voice is scary.

If you would like to offer some evidence of the changes he has made that proves he is competent then please do as I actually wish this man does succeed. The country needs him to, but things aren’t looking good so far.

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply to my post, you make some valid points and I like how you make them without getting personal (besides the bogan comment but I have been called worse).

First of all, I do live in Thailand, have for many years, I have a Thai wife and son and I pay a shipload of tax per year. So I believe I have the right to comment as I do call this place my home, others may think I have no right to comment and that is their opinion. As to my position in society, not really sure how to answer, I have a good job pay my taxes don’t do anything illegal but please explain how that matters?

93% support? We might have to disagree on how accurate those figures are.

I completely agree on the previous government, total failure bordering on criminal, and if the General wanted to make a statement he would cancel someone's passport, issue arrest warrant and extradite him, why hasn’t this happened?

When someone makes a negative comment about the current regime, why do people reply with how bad the last government was, so because the last one was really really bad, now its okay to accept just really bad!

Regarding the taking of power by force, if it wasn’t a crime why did he have to grant himself amnesty. I will not comment about what type of approval he may or may not have received.

But back to the main point, I believe he is and has shown he is incompetent, nothing has been achieved and stifling free speech and eradicating all opposition voice is scary.

If you would like to offer some evidence of the changes he has made that proves he is competent then please do as I actually wish this man does succeed. The country needs him to, but things aren’t looking good so far.

"I completely agree on the previous government, total failure bordering on criminal, and if the General wanted to make a statement he would cancel someone's passport, issue arrest warrant and extradite him, why hasn’t this happened? "

Yes. Very strang. I'm wondering, too.

"I completely agree on the previous government, total failure bordering on criminal, and if the General wanted to make a statement he would cancel someone's passport, issue arrest warrant and extradite him, why hasn’t this happened? "

Yes. Very strang. I'm wondering, too.

1) There is already an arrest warrant out ... in Thailand.

2) There probably isn't a country that would extradite Thaksin back to a country run by the military, so an international arrest warrant wouldn't make much difference.

3) Cancelling Thaksin's passport would make no difference to Thaksin and would just be a publicity stunt. This would go against the "don't mention Thaksin" edict, wouldn't it?

Did you bother to to read baboon's post - and then perhaps wandered out into the street to get someone smarter to explain the finer points of it that elude you - before you responded? Your post seems to indicate not.

I know this is a quantum leap for you, but being convicted of anything in a court that does not rise to a globally acceptable burden of evidence is usually deemed - for want of a better phrase, but it will do - mickey mouse. Such was the nature of the court that you claim made him a "convicted criminal fugitive". If you are unable to differentiate then the judgement becomes worthless.

If I recall, the case was brought by the junta-created AEC and then the conviction came down from a junta-packed criminal court.

Having a PM have his wife do business with a government institution is a 'conflict of interest'. Now that's the case in most 'democratic' countries.

It amazes me that "The Press" still refer to him as 'former Prime minister'..They should be using his current description..."Criminal Fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra"

Are you saying he wasn't a former prime minister then?

Criminal fugitives don't sell newspaper, criminal fugitives who are former PM's do sell newspapers. It's not hard to understand. Just think business instead of polarized political opinion.

No, I'm not saying that at all ........he was also baby Thaksin and schoolboy Thaksin and perhaps in a previous life 3 testicled squirrel Thaksin. What i am saying is that he should be called what he is currently and not dwell in the past.

I quite agree with this. Thaksin is just too polarizing for Thailand and besides there is nothing really newsworthy about him anymore.

You are quite wrong then.

The Juntas dislike for Thaksin stems from the fact that he unites too many Thais (and therefore continues to win election after election).

To say that there is nothing really newsworthy about Thaksin is even more wrong than your first error.

This country will eventually be back in Thaksin's hands and how that change of government occurs will affect millions of peoples lives.

There will most likely be more deaths and most certainly be more economic hardship before the ghastly yellows are finally done away with for good.

There are uncountable newsworthy stories about Thaksin... Most of them are about corruption, extra judicial killings, domestic terrorism and a megalomaniac that demands his followers stringently follow his every word. You must know this quote very, very well: "Thaksin thinks Pheu Thai acts" ...for the right price.

You do realise that this is the last coup?

When an un-bastardised version democracy returns to Thailand, which it will, there will most likely be at least a decade of Shinawatra governments before they get voted out.

Thaksin is going to be in the news an awful lot - get used to it.

Dream on.

Having a PM have his wife do business with a government institution is a 'conflict of interest'. Now that's the case in most 'democratic' countries.

The military having extensive business holdings as well as dominating the boards of state enterprises is a massive conflict of interest. That is also the case in most democratic countries.

• Like 1

no it's not. And it wasn't against the law in Thailand.

Not only was it an open bid. Not only was Thaksin's wife the high bid. Not only was the bid above the estimated value of the land. It was also the case that Thaksin was not responsible for the agency selling the land. Which was technically correct.

And on top of that, it was brought by the junta-created AEC and the conviction came from a junta-packed criminal court. I repeat that part because you seem to have overlooked the facts of that event.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they chose to hang him out to dry on that case. Surely they could have come up with an actual illegal activity - it"s not like Thaksin was an angel. Maybe they were just lazy since the result was pre-determined anyway?

• Like 1

^^

Fear of those he could possibly drag down with him, tbthailand? For instance, it isn't like he shot those drug dealers himself or personally herded the suspected militants at Tak Bai into the trucks which became their graves..

Edited by baboon
  • Like 1