Chicken Pox - โรคอีสุกอีใส

Eiva

A week ago my body temperature suddenly raised to 39.2 C, I had severe joints and muscles pain, sweating. My body became red and I've got rush. I was almost sure that I've Denge fever. Early morning I was at local state hospital and surprised by the diagnosis - Chicken Pox. I knew, that I was vaccinated against Chicken Pox in my early childhood and that it is unusual to get that ill in my 30-ties. I was advised to take Paracetamol 4 times a day and sent home with a Thai medical certificate that I can not work 3 days only.

Next night was the hardest in my life. Temperature rose to 39.7, my whole body was covered with pimples and it even happened that due to high temperature once I became unconscious. Happily I was not alone at that moment.

Next morning I was at doctors again saying that I am "antarat" - dangerous for people around, and I need more attention to my case. That time I had a doctor, speaking English, who confirmed my diagnosis and suggested to start antibiotics, dioxycycline, what I did. He gave me another work-off certificate for 12 days.

I am a teacher in Anuban classes and I am afraid that I can spread the chicken pox to my students. Thankfully last week students were on vacation and I haven't seen them since early October. But yesterday the classes started and since I am the only English teacher I know that my school needs me asap.

Today I visited the same English speaking doctor again. My temperature is normal during last three days, the pimples became dark red and dry, I really fell myself recovered. And the doctor gave me another certificate, saying that I am healthy and can come back to my school tomorrow.

So I want to ask your opinion about,

Could I bring the taint of chicken pox infection to my classes, despite the doctor's written note?

Does my illness mean that vaccine doesn't work or has a limited time span? Have you heard about the Chicken Pox in adultness?

The course of my illness was really very hard and intense. Maybe there are several types of that infection and here in Thailand I we got something else, then typical Chicken pox as described in wikipedia.

And finally, shall I go to work tomorrow???

AFAIK it is worse if you contract it later in life and I do believe you can have it more than once, although laterly it is typically classed as shingles. Missus recently had it and was very ill, 10x worse than my son who had it same time. Also, AFAIK, once they have crusted over you are no longer a threat.

Hi, my partner has just had it for the 3rd time and he is 50, it is not the same a shingles (of the same virus herpes) as he has had this separately too. You are way past infection stage, oats soaked in water with bicarbonate of soda and apple cider vinegar should help with any remaining irritation ?

Edited by CaitlinHappyMeal

Could I bring the taint of chicken pox infection to my classes, despite the doctor's written note?

Does my illness mean that vaccine doesn't work or has a limited time span? Have you heard about the Chicken Pox in adultness?

The course of my illness was really very hard and intense. Maybe there are several types of that infection and here in Thailand I we got something else, then typical Chicken pox as described in wikipedia.

And finally, shall I go to work tomorrow???

Chicken Pox is mostly always diagnosed clinically; this means, by the manner and distribution of your "pox" and your complaints. It is unsusal to get chicken pox again (though a number of people do get it again), though when older it is more common to get a different presentation of the same varicella zooster, SHingles. Once the body rids the symptom stage of chicken pox the virus actually more or less continues to remain in the body in a near inert manner. Later it can be reactivated as chicken pox or the nueralgic shingles.

Chicken pox is contagious until lesions crust over and dry. Lesions will often have a very predictable distribution and a search online will nearly always mention this and the tear dropped appearance before crusting over- teardrop looking.

Vaccines will not really work the same for every single person though general averages exist. Different factors influence your immune systems retention of the memory cells that exist specifialy in response to the earlier vaccine exposure. This is the heart of vaccines: they introduce a live, dead, or partialy dead cell matric of the virus with the hope that it is enough for your body to build a specific antibody for the future, without actualy giving you the disease. This is why some people actually get flu like symptoms following a flu vaccine.

It is generally poor form to go to public places with infectious. While most people may be fine if there is even a chance you can injure a child or weakened person, you should choose the proper actions. However, if chicken pox, you describe is now in a non infectious post phase.

Lastly, I have no idea why you had been given antibiotics. Antibiotics are most definitely not for chicken pox; in fact, they are not for viruses. Unless you had some secondary skin infection from itching, AB would not be helpful.

I got antibiotics from my GP when I had chickenpox in my 20s.

I was also running a high temperature when they were prescribed so it might be that there was some sort of infection also. I know I definitely felt better the day after I started on them, although I remained off work as there were people in the office who hadn't had it as a child (like me).

I got antibiotics from my GP when I had chickenpox in my 20s.

I was also running a high temperature when they were prescribed so it might be that there was some sort of infection also. I know I definitely felt better the day after I started on them, although I remained off work as there were people in the office who hadn't had it as a child (like me).

It's not uncommon for docs to treat respiratory like infections as if they were bacterial. Clinically, they are often indistinguishable at a certain stage without often useless lab tests. Therefore, they will treat "as if..." And at worst the AB may dissuade secondary bacterial infections that may occasionally follow viral syndromes.

The thing is, chicken pox does not present as a nearly indistinguishable syndrome. It's got a few differential diagnosis it could be but AB is just not really called for, just symptomatic care while it runs its course. The down side to treating many things with AB that should not be is resistance. Not only can a person decrease their resistance but in an amazing display of evolution and connectedness, bacteria learn! When exposed repeatedly to AB when not necessary super strains can grow. This not related to the OP but just thoughts for future.

Unless you are a quite young adult it's unlikely you were vaccinated as a child. I know my eldest son had chicken pox before the vaccine was available in the U.S. (he is 22) but my youngest (20) was able to get the vaccine in 1996 when he was 2. If you're in your 30's it is unlikely varicella was part of your baby shots/jabs. From the net:

"A varicella vaccine developed in Japan in the 1970's was licensed for routine use in Japan and Korea in 1988. The varicella vaccine was recommended for routine use in the United States in 1995. In 2005 a combination measles, mumps, rubella, varicella vaccine (MMRV) was licensed."
Edited by JenniferSG
  • Like 1

Chicken Pox...remember that the virus stays in your system for life...may show up later in the form of Shingles...there is a vaccination for Shingles...I would take it if I were you...I have had both the Pox and Shingles...neither one is any fun...

• Like 1

Chickenpox is always more severe in adults.

You say you are sure you were vaccinated for ti but also indicate you are in your thirties, which makes it unlikely. Are you sure you are not confused with other vaccines? Chicken pox vaccine would not have been widely available when you were a child.

When my sister and I caught chicken pox as children, we suddenly became the most popular kids in town, for about a week. All the parents sent their kids over to play with us. The symptoms are bad enough when children have it, but far worse for teens and adults. Generally, once you've had chicken pox, you won't get it again. But there may be different strains of the virus here. Just don't scratch or the scars will be permanent. Once they scab over, they're no longer contagious. Go to school.

Chickenpox is a viral infection, and your doctor gave you antibiotics?

I thought the only prescription was fever reduction (paracetamol) and an anti-itch cream.

Did he believe he was treating some other symptom?

This is the old way of doing thing, he got fever, then give him antibiotics even if it is a viral infection. It is a known fact that it is bad to take antibiotics when you don't need them because it is also destroying the good bacteria in your gut.

Chickenpox is a viral infection, and your doctor gave you antibiotics?

I thought the only prescription was fever reduction (paracetamol) and an anti-itch cream.

Did he believe he was treating some other symptom?

This is the old way of doing thing, he got fever, then give him antibiotics even if it is a viral infection. It is a known fact that it is bad to take antibiotics when you don't need them because it is also destroying the good bacteria in your gut.

Yes, I know, but I didn't want to criticize the doctor as perhaps I am missing some information. (Not to mention eductation. :D)

My first thought might sound duck-like.