Thai woman almost eaten by python from her toilet

webfact

The snake in the photo is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa - I own several and they are 1.5 to 2 metres fully grown. This snake would NOT have attacked the woman. The snake that bit the woman would have been a Reticulated Python - they can be very aggressive. I doubt very much that it would have been a Burmese Python.

Are the blue stripes on them really that intensive? Beautiful!

Edited by Local Drunk

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A toilet is usually 4 inch drainpipe here and probably a squat toilet. That could handle a very large snake. Snakes do chase rats up the pipes. I recall a school in Phetkasem several years back that had a Pit Viper crawl up through the sewer pipes to the 4th floor and out through the toilet.

Perhaps she has a hole in the ground?

Raise your hand here if you've ever been bitten by a snake! I'll start... I'm start with a nasty one. Cotton Mouth Water Moccasin struck my left foot near a lake in North Carolina. I thought I was going to die, but only one fang hit and it went completely through the left side my lower Ieft toe. I was damned lucky.

A toilet is usually 4 inch drainpipe here and probably a squat toilet. That could handle a very large snake. Snakes do chase rats up the pipes. I recall a school in Phetkasem several years back that had a Pit Viper crawl up through the sewer pipes to the 4th floor and out through the toilet.

Perhaps she has a hole in the ground?

I don't understand your comment. I don't know where you live but seeing and encountering snakes is almost a daily occurrence here. A mate of mine had a young Cobra visited his car port on a regular basis. He lives in a walled estate.

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 1

The snake in the photo is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa - I own several and they are 1.5 to 2 metres fully grown. This snake would NOT have attacked the woman. The snake that bit the woman would have been a Reticulated Python - they can be very aggressive. I doubt very much that it would have been a Burmese Python.

Yes, they are that intensive - when in the sunshine! That is why they are called "Rainbow" boas. They are a very beautiful looking snake with a nice disposition to go with it!

• Like 1

Yes, they are that intensive - when in the sunshine! That is why they are called "Rainbow" boas. They are a very beautiful looking snake with a nice disposition to go with it!

Thanks!

Raise your hand here if you've ever been bitten by a snake! I'll start... I'm start with a nasty one. Cotton Mouth Water Moccasin struck my left foot near a lake in North Carolina. I thought I was going to die, but only one fang hit and it went completely through the left side my lower Ieft toe. I was damned lucky.

Two times in two weeks, horn viper or in greek oxia.

"Samkok district officer Metha Taweekunchai said he’ll order his officers to capture the snake in Rampeung's toilet, so the family can resume using it"

Well that'll be a relief for everyone concerned.

To be honest I didn't think pythons had fangs. Don't they just wrap themselves around their prey and constrict until it's dead?

Oh! I didn't know that pythons were toothless.

Guess the snake was just agrassive . If the snake went true a 4 inch pipe It can't eat a human , pythons are agrassive animals .

Where I live there is a big python , scares the shit out of all of us here , it is as thick as the upper leg of and adult ,stayed in our fish pond for a while , couple a times a year it crosses the road . Nobody ever try to go near her or him .

Btw , I always check the toilet before i go sit on it .

Jesus...Where were the strikes?

Guess the snake was just agrassive . If the snake went true a 4 inch pipe It can't eat a human , pythons are agrassive animals .

Where I live there is a big python , scares the shit out of all of us here , it is as thick as the upper leg of and adult ,stayed in our fish pond for a while , couple a times a year it crosses the road . Nobody ever try to go near her or him .

Don't kill it... We're the one's who have encroached on their territory.

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 1

Don't kill it... We're the one's who have encroached on their territory.

I for sure won't , I love it , and locals to scared so that's a good thing .We have the knowledge here that we not swim in tha fishpond anymore :)

• Like 1

Jesus...Where were the strikes?

Each time on the back of the lower leg, first time i jumped on the motorbike and got an anti venom, doc said i changed shades of grey for 12 hours but slept through most of it...second time i knew the doc was away and the nearest hospital was a couple of hours drive so i just got drinking water and a bucket beside the bed...extreme fever till the next morning,

Mostly i noticed these vipers get airborn for a distance but always in the other direction, i think once you get too close they panic and bite for protection only,

I have to admit in the beginning i killed quite a few but it felt stupid....i resorted to catching them early morning when not so active and relocating them.

• Like 2

"Samkok district officer Metha Taweekunchai said he’ll order his officers to capture the snake in Rampeung's toilet, so the family can resume using it"

Well that'll be a relief for everyone concerned.

To be honest I didn't think pythons had fangs. Don't they just wrap themselves around their prey and constrict until it's dead?

What you are thinking of is a Monty Python.

I'm curious; do your captive Pythons display any unique personality traits? Are they "domesticated" in any way and do they respond to their care givers? I'll bet rats are not a concern around your property.

About 5 or so years ago, a Python wrapped itself around the rear axel of a sawng-taow parked behind Mike Shopping Mall on 2nd road in Pattaya. It was seen just as the driver was about to drive off. Created quite a scene with a lot of media and spectators as police and animal control jacked up the truck and tried to dislodge it. The snake finally got fed-up with all the bother and very suddenly loosed itself from the axel and made straight for a storm drain from which it had probably come from in the first place....they wisely let it go.

Edited by dddave

We ran a massive one over on a country road about 6 years ago it was probably 15 feet long and moving fast the car didn't seem to stop it it just disappeared. Bit scary if it attacked you. We once had a rat in the toilet bowl it had died as we were away and the loo seat was down. Good job I looked before I sat down :-)

That's scarier than Ebola! Got my attention for sure.

no fear, my friends!

since last month Thailand announced to be the new hub of ebola antidote...I am positive they will work out something for pytons too soon, maybe enlarge toilets for easier feeding.

The snake may well have taken a tooth hold on her hand.... but it's highly unlikely, without full body constriction, it could have taken her down the latrine.

In addition, how did Khun Rampeung know there was a snake's nest in her loo?

Sounds a bit out of the ordinary to me.

Its true I have handle them in the wild and in Captivity. The snake in Question weighed probably more than the lady it attached itself to. There teeth are like Velcro, they face backwards, if you get bitten don't pull, you have to force your hand forward then up and out, there breath stinks and is mouth is full of harmful bacteria, so you still need medical attention. They do have nests and have there own territory.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

The snake may well have taken a tooth hold on her hand.... but it's highly unlikely, without full body constriction, it could have taken her down the latrine.

In addition, how did Khun Rampeung know there was a snake's nest in her loo?

Sounds a bit out of the ordinary to me.

Its true I have handle them in the wild and in Captivity. The snake in Question weighed probably more than the lady it attached itself to. There teeth are like Velcro, they face backwards, if you get bitten don't pull, you have to force your hand forward then up and out, there breath stinks and is mouth is full of harmful bacteria, so you still need medical attention. They do have nests and have there own territory.

I imagine a diet of rats, other rodents and small mammals would tend to induce a nasty case of halitosis.

Name any country beside Thailand where daily news are published for the express amusement of domestic and foreign readers ?

[edit] and the development of further sophisticated humor.

Edited by paz

Any snake experts on here can identify whether this is a Regal Python in the Coconuts picture?

No expert but try this site http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_common.html

There are only 2 pythons in TL the reticulated python (which the one in the pix isn't, seen one) and the Burmese Python which it possibly could be with the colors tricked up.

Other than that the photo bears no relation to the story.

And the story likely provides little resemblance to truth.

Edit: The pic is almost certainly a Rainbow Boa

Edited by JohnThailandJohn