Replace Logic Board for 2011 Macbook Pro in Bangkok ?

Magdalen

Do you mean a motherboard? If so, you can check prices in some of the repair/parts shops in Phantip. I'm sure that members can recommend other locations but I'm most familiar with Phantip. There is a nice Mac repair shop on the third floor towards the front of the building. I can't remember its name right now. Good luck!

I'm pressuming this is becasue of the graphics chip failure that Apple refuses to acknowledge, partly becasue they only count failures that occur to product in the US and the rest of the world is just a milch cow for Apple's burgeoning profit.

I had mine replaced at Macintosh Centre at Fortune Plaza 02-642 0400 / [email protected]. Cost for a swap out 17-inch logic board was Bt19,200. I passed on their Bt1,500 examination fee despite their protests that "it might be something else" as I was pretty confident I knew what the problem was.

It took them less than a week to get the new board from Singapore and fit it. I had them remove the HDD when I left the PowerBook with them.

3months guarantee on the new board.

• Like 1

Do you mean a motherboard? If so, you can check prices in some of the repair/parts shops in Phantip. I'm sure that members can recommend other locations but I'm most familiar with Phantip. There is a nice Mac repair shop on the third floor towards the front of the building. I can't remember its name right now. Good luck!

Apples have Logic boards..

Never give your PC to a Thai repair shop.

I'm pressuming this is becasue of the graphics chip failure that Apple refuses to acknowledge, partly becasue they only count failures that occur to product in the US and the rest of the world is just a milch cow for Apple's burgeoning profit.

I had mine replaced at Macintosh Centre at Fortune Plaza 02-642 0400 / [email protected]. Cost for a swap out 17-inch logic board was Bt19,200. I passed on their Bt1,500 examination fee despite their protests that "it might be something else" as I was pretty confident I knew what the problem was.

It took them less than a week to get the new board from Singapore and fit it. I had them remove the HDD when I left the PowerBook with them.

This is precisely what I am looking for - many thanks

Interesting. Are you referring to the leadless solder being used to attached the chip - which over time and heat can become decoupled from the LB? I had a 12" powerbook with the exact same symptoms. I could get it working by putting some pressure on the GPU........How about running a heatgun over the area to reflow the solder a la xbox fix ?

Did a google, a heatgun is indeed a fix :)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4766577?start=3750&tstart=0

Edited by phazey

Interesting. Are you referring to the leadless solder being used to attached the chip - which over time and heat can become decoupled from the LB? I had a 12" powerbook with the exact same symptoms. I could get it working by putting some pressure on the GPU........How about running a heatgun over the area to reflow the solder a la xbox fix ?

Did a google, a heatgun is indeed a fix smile.png

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4766577?start=3750&tstart=0

I did the Google search as well before opting for the change-over. If you damage the logic board and you'll have to pay full retail for the swap out and that is considerably more.

There's a few places in the US putting the logic board into an oven to reflow the solder, but the reports are that a lot of these stop working after a while.

There's a story here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/12/apple-ignores-calls-to-fix-2011-macbook-pro-failures-as-problem-grows

There's a petition here that has reached more than 26,000 signatures that Apple is still ignoring https://www.change.org/p/timothy-d-cook-replace-or-fix-all-2011-macbook-pro-with-graphics-failure

According to one article Apple only count failures of product sold in the US.

Edited by Yme

Apples have Logic boards..

Never give your PC to a Thai repair shop.

Just apples way of being special, its a motherboard nothing else.