Releasing floating lanterns near Thai airports may be punishable by death

webfact

I don't believe it........

They are concerned about the safety of the people and posters are mumbling about being over the top and knee jerk reactions.

What does it take to satisfy you people?

Like any mention of the death penalty for a lantern isnt a knee jerk over reaction ? you think thats proportionate ? blink.png

Seriously If you cant see theres something not only moronic but also inhuman for citing death for using a sky lantern you need a reality check.

This is way this lot are thinking, the only way to get Thai public to actually listen is to say the word death penalty or life ? they are nuts.

Do you not see the disconnect here yet ?

Every issue they tackle is becoming looked at with a sledgehammer attitude towards cracking a peanut.

Often its not even an issue.... just like LK shoulnt be an issue as it never has been, its a water festival to start with and lanterns should be on the water.

The EU has a policy on sky lanterns and flight paths and laws but nothing to do with being put to death or imprisoned for life.....

think about that for a second....... death or life imprisonment for a tissue paper lantern ? facepalm.gif

I mean COME ON whistling.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So then the meteorologists Can get death when checking weather Don't sound like a career type job.

Meteorology balloons are released at times when air traffic is at a minimum, and not generally on air routes. Additionally, pilots are advised of such releases via NOTAM (Notices to Airmen), and met balloons are highly visible, sometimes 500+ feet high, and they climb very rapidly, not anything like a candle powered lantern.

I have been an airline pilot for 18 years and have never seen a Met Balloon in flight. I have seen plenty of party balloons float by. One time I saw something weird descending (?UFO?) whilst cycling on the road up Doi Suthep . By the time I caught up to it I could see it was a weather balloon, now stuck in some trees with some locals now trying to fish it down.

Since I last posted there has been another 50 or 60 go up. I just looked at flight tracker and the usual planes landing over me have cancelled status, except Air Asia it should be landing in five minutes. The lanterns are disappearing in the very low clouds just about the altitude planes are landing at where I am.

We can't see the airport from here in fact I can't see any planes either :-( there's a lot going up near here as well.

I was mistaken, I thought an Air Asia flight was landing at CNX it was actually departing. Air Asia has just changed their status from on time 2155 departure to scheduled. I guess the lanterns are to thick in the flight path. I guess the death sentence threat didnt take hold up here.

Threats rarely do.

I have been an airline pilot for 18 years and have never seen a Met Balloon in flight. I have seen plenty of party balloons float by. One time I saw something weird descending (?UFO?) whilst cycling on the road up Doi Suthep . By the time I caught up to it I could see it was a weather balloon, now stuck in some trees with some locals now trying to fish it down.

Party balloons are slightly different to weather balloons. They are thin and small and would probably have little effect. A weather balloon however is slightly larger. Generally filled to rise at 300metres a minute. and carries at least a wood and alfoil radar reflector and often a 1kg radiosonde. Weather balloon launches are co-ordinated with air traffic control.

A thai kratong usually has a ring of heavy wire plus a metal heating part. This could do no end of damage to a jet engine.

Edited by harrry

Yeah right. I live near Chiang Mai airport. I would not like to be a pilot right now. idiots issuing more stupid useless warnings to people who cannot read, fathom reason or who really don't give a rats a.se

---- deleted ------

Its going quite far of course.. however I feel that floating lanterns near an airport is a real dangerous thing. If an airplane crashes because of one many lives are lost. Making a threat with a big stick might prevent this from happening.

Just how many aircraft have crashed during the large number of years that Loy Krathong and air travel have co existed? What is the problem with doing exactly as has happened in the last few years like rescheduling flights etc? Could it be that with the junta in control, the various airlines have decided to chance their arm and are lobbying furiously so that we now end up with these knee jerk reactions?

Ah PTP logic.. no planes have crashed so its safe to light laterns around airports. I guess you think driving drunk is ok too. I mean most of the time nothing happens so its ok.

I think its a sensible thing to put a stop to an unsafe practice, the punishment is overkill but could be seen as a deterrent. (i somehow doubt it would ever put in practice )

I agree. You should never ever drink and drive!! Pull over first. You might spill it.

I don't believe it........

They are concerned about the safety of the people and posters are mumbling about being over the top and knee jerk reactions.

What does it take to satisfy you people?

Cost as they can't go home coz they are all miserable ok bastards with no,money so they have to be wifi wowsers!

Yeah right. I live near Chiang Mai airport. I would not like to be a pilot right now. idiots issuing more stupid useless warnings to people who cannot read, fathom reason or who really don't give a rats a.se

Yes it would appear that the death message was never told to anyone and was only issued in English perhaps :-)

• 2 weeks later...