TG aircraft recovered from Khon Kaen runway

webfact

The plane didn't crash. It blew a front (steering) tire while doing a u-turn at the end of the runway. Stuff happens. Stop bashing.

Is this a complaint about Thai bashing ? Pilots everywhere make mistakes sometimes, and hopefully no injuries or deaths occur. We have no knowledge of the nationalities of the flight crew - so who is being bashed?? If a tire (or both tires as claimed) blew, the loud bang would cause the pilots to immediately shutdown, and not proceed more than 10 meters into the mud.

Have you forgotten a little thing called momentum...It does take time for something that weighs 70 tons or so to stop.

Edited by harrry

The plane didn't crash. It blew a front (steering) tire while doing a u-turn at the end of the runway. Stuff happens. Stop bashing.

Is this a complaint about Thai bashing ? Pilots everywhere make mistakes sometimes, and hopefully no injuries or deaths occur. We have no knowledge of the nationalities of the flight crew - so who is being bashed?? If a tire (or both tires as claimed) blew, the loud bang would cause the pilots to immediately shutdown, and not proceed more than 10 meters into the mud.

Have you forgotten a little thing called momentum...It does take time for something that weighs 70 tons or so to stop.

No I didn't forget momentum, but how much speed ( which translates as momentum) would the aircraft have when taxiing to position for take-off - very little I suspect.

My personal belief, based on the slim evidence available (such as position of the A/C), is that the flight crew inadvertently lined up on the runway edge lights, believing that they were the centreline lights, and not realizing that Khon Kaen has no centreline lights. Then realizing the mistake, when they departed the runway surface, applied thrust to try to push back onto the runway, pushing them further into the mud and blowing the tires. Only my opinion - we need to wait for the investigation.

Wonder if the taxi was for a take off? They often pass the hold line if already clear and then start the throttle up as they turn onto the active runway and add more throttle as they get straight - to much throttle up could have pushed the nose gear rather then turning. Hot dogging it bit to much maybe? Check the voice recorder and see if someone doesn't say " ah s--- " one hundred atta boy points to be awarded.

What a load of rubbish. You obviously know nothing about flying. I take it you have not read my post on the other thread?

Too much throttle you suggest could push the nose gear side ways!

The undercarriage steering is controlled by the rudder pedals and designed for any thrust imposed on them.

It is amazing where armchair experts come from to,comment on such incidents.

We are talking taxi speed here - I guess this never happens with A330? OH but maybe this one only.

and we come from all over the place, but most of us are not condescending jerks by nature.

Wonder if the taxi was for a take off? They often pass the hold line if already clear and then start the throttle up as they turn onto the active runway and add more throttle as they get straight - to much throttle up could have pushed the nose gear rather then turning. Hot dogging it bit to much maybe? Check the voice recorder and see if someone doesn't say " ah s--- " one hundred atta boy points to be awarded.

What a load of rubbish. You obviously know nothing about flying. I take it you have not read my post on the other thread?

The undercarriage steering is controlled by the rudder pedals and designed for any thrust imposed on them.

We are talking taxi speed here - I guess this never happens with A330? OH but maybe this one only.

and we come from all over the place, but most of us are not condescending jerks by nature.

Nice find.

I love it ! As you said previously, " Hot dogging it bit to much maybe? " Bet the tower had a few laughs over that one. Video is 2008 or earlier since the A330 has the old logo that was discontinued in 2008. These days Monarch is struggling to turn it around like Flybe did, before they go under.

Edited by tigermonkey