high speed internet chiang mai

organizationXIII

Hello,

I am new to this forum, although i have been reading it for quite some time now. I work online every day, would like to stream movies, and in an ideal world, play ps4. I am living in chiang mai (not sure what area yet) and would love some general information on specific providers; speed, black out times, price, etc. I realize that there are probably tons of other threads identical to this, but i have struggled to find a current one.

Thanks

Thank you for your fast reply! Im also wondering, if there is a router installed; is there a significant difference in speed if connected via ethernet directly to the router vs wifi? Once i get settled i will check with others in my area for what coverage is best

Edited by organizationXIII

one tip, make sure you know what Internet providers will go to the place your are interested in before you rent or buy it

i found during my searches that many places I looked at , many providers would not put a connection in the building

one tip, make sure you know what Internet providers will go to the place your are interested in before you rent or buy it

i found during my searches that many places I looked at , many providers would not put a connection in the building

Krey is exactly correct. Not only find out if they serve the area, house, apartment you want, ask the specific question about band width and capability.

I just made the free upgrade with True fiber from 15mbps to 30mbpsat the same time as my neighbor across the street had True's fiber run to his house for the first time for his 30mbps. We both had fluctuating speeds 30mbps for some time and then abruptly dropping to 5mbps.

Tech came out yesterday and said that where I live, the system is saturated and True has work in progress to upgrade their system. He also said that True should have warned me, but.....

Great advice on checking if they provide service etc. How much does it usually cost to have the fiber run and for service etc

Again it depends on who you go with

My apartment I really liked and took a chance I had two choices

3bb which was already in my apartment but could not get fiber here and max was 13MB

or Cat which would come out here with Fiber

I got their 30mb/5mb plan for 2500 a month

Yes it is kind of expensive, and it is okay for reliability. I find certain times of the day it slows down

and the 30mb connection is actually worse then my old 20mb connection I use to have when I lived in Chon Buri

When I first moved here 3 months ago I wanted to try Sinet out, as they had some nice prices for fiber but they didnt go to my building

but as of yesterday when I saw them installing a line in my building it seems they have made it to it, might give them a go when my contract runs out for CAT, as it was half the price for the same line

I know Maya Mall on one of the floors cant remember which one, 3rd or 4th has several Internet providers there, you could go and check out the prices, like Sinet and Cat are there for sure and a couple others

also the Kad Suan Kaew mall has a few on the bottom floor like 3BB and True

and I believe the Airport Central Mall has a few as well

Many of the malls have kiosk set up, you could go visit them.

If you are interested in a place i would do the following

1. Get the address of the place

2. Go to the Internet shops with the address they will look it up to make sure they can provide you a line there and what speeds

If you can find a place that has more then one Internet option it might be good, if you decide on an condo that only has one Internet option and that Internet option

turns out to be crap, you wont have an alternative

I have found in my couple years of living in Thailand it is not so much the provider its the luck of where you live if your Internet is going to be good

CAT internet could be great in one condo and crappy in the next for example, its a bit of a toss up.. and if you are a true Internet guy do not listen to the owner of the apartment

or the people that work there when they say oh the internet is great here, I have no problems.... usually they are just checking their email:) and are not power users

I love Thailand, but one of my personal issues with living here is the Internet for a power user. Its hard to get true speeds, all this 30 mb to 100 mb they claim to have

well dont compare it to a Western line of 30mb to 100mb cause its not the same, it might be 30mb to Bangkok but not outside of Thailand and accessing to America or using a VPN for example can seriously

drop your speed to incredible low speeds.. is it impossible to find half decent speeds ? no it isnt but it might take some tinkering if you are in the power user speed status realm

good luck

Krey is exactly correct. Not only find out if they serve the area, house, apartment you want, ask the specific question about band width and capability.

I just made the free upgrade with True fiber from 15mbps to 30mbpsat the same time as my neighbor across the street had True's fiber run to his house for the first time for his 30mbps. We both had fluctuating speeds 30mbps for some time and then abruptly dropping to 5mbps.

Tech came out yesterday and said that where I live, the system is saturated and True has work in progress to upgrade their system. He also said that True should have warned me, but.....

"the system is saturated" is an old problem in many areas, and in the same area it can be saturated with one provider and work fine with another. Having the provider warn you of the problem before you sign up would be new, I've never heard of it happening.

Edited by heybruce

"the system is saturated" is an old problem in many areas, and in the same area it can be saturated with one provider and work fine with another. Having the provider warn you of the problem before you sign up would be new, I've never heard of it happening.

I would agree with that, I seriously doubt you will get a warning of the quality of the line, if anything you will get the opposite of them saying it works fine in their tests:)

Krey thank you for your thorough reply! I would def. Consider myself a power user, as my entire business and income are managed and run online. I also love films and television, and gaming as well. I have been renting short term and using my service apartments free wifi, which is extremely frustrating at times.

Thanks to everyone else for your input! I havent actually approached any of the ISP's yet, figured id get some info first. Just out of curiosity, do any of the ISP's do monthly contracts? Or short term (3 months). And what is the penalty for terminating a year contract? Just trying to get a feel for the situation

Krey thank you for your thorough reply! I would def. Consider myself a power user, as my entire business and income are managed and run online. I also love films and television, and gaming as well. I have been renting short term and using my service apartments free wifi, which is extremely frustrating at times.

Thanks to everyone else for your input! I havent actually approached any of the ISP's yet, figured id get some info first. Just out of curiosity, do any of the ISP's do monthly contracts? Or short term (3 months). And what is the penalty for terminating a year contract? Just trying to get a feel for the situation

Different ISPS , Different rules

think it would be harder for a foreigner to get month to month I have got it a couple times but usually they want 6 to 12 months up front with your passport or Thai ID if you have one

if you happen to have a THAI Girlfriend or even a friend you have better luck getting a month to month through their name and the ISPS are usually aware that most THAIS cant drop lets say 5 to 10 thousand in Baht at a time or more

Cancellation again might be different, i know last place i had in Chon Buri was 2 month penalty:)

• 3 months later...

if you want quality especially for international surfing go with Sinet Bar none, I spoke with their agent Pakin(088-870-0706) he recommended me with their best international package for 899 baht/month no contract no Installation for my condo and I can put my results against anybody out there, anyone would like to know other countries speed please let me know the numbers speak for itself Stockholm, Swedenpost-232164-0-18434900-1425063616_thumb. Auckland, New Zealandpost-232164-0-29769300-1425063646_thumb. Saint Johns, Canada post-232164-0-63861100-1425063662_thumb.Banja Luka, Bosnia Herzegovinapost-232164-0-38895600-1425063682_thumb. Canberra, Australia post-232164-0-86944300-1425063708_thumb.Lausanne, Switzerlandpost-232164-0-52354100-1425063730_thumb.Podgorica, Montenegropost-232164-0-26954800-1425063758_thumb.Nyiregyhaza,Hungarypost-232164-0-32361000-1425063801_thumb.Gravelines, Francepost-232164-0-19577400-1425063842_thumb.Fullerton, California USApost-232164-0-72590600-1425063862_thumb.Hall in Tirol, Austriapost-232164-0-43039100-1425063896_thumb.Helsinki, Finlandpost-232164-0-09414700-1425063924_thumb.Roznov, Czech Republicpost-232164-0-73030100-1425063947_thumb.Shkoder, Albaniapost-232164-0-47413800-1425063968_thumb.Constanta, Romaniapost-232164-0-67437200-1425063989_thumb.Stara Zagora, Bulgariapost-232164-0-35856800-1425064011_thumb.Binz, Germanypost-232164-0-63117100-1425064050_thumb.Prishtina, Serbiapost-232164-0-22111600-1425064078_thumb.Leige, Belgiumpost-232164-0-28246300-1425064104_thumb.post-232164-0-45354900-1425064147_thumb.post-232164-0-17663200-1425064148_thumb.post-232164-0-03536100-1425064149_thumb.post-232164-0-77040500-1425064149_thumb.post-232164-0-40552600-1425064150_thumb.post-232164-0-10039100-1425064151_thumb.post-232164-0-88893300-1425064151_thumb.post-232164-0-03392300-1425064153_thumb.post-232164-0-25913500-1425064232_thumb.post-232164-0-06501800-1425064233_thumb.post-232164-0-79478500-1425064233_thumb.post-232164-0-63773300-1425064234_thumb.post-232164-0-29840200-1425064235_thumb.

I am not sure what kind of Reliability you get here in Chiang Mai but when I had 3bb in bangkok they dropped daily and service was non existant. My Sinet has not been down since early January when the power went out at that time so I can not say it was their fault for that. I can definitely say Sinet is more superior on both speed and reliability now. I can not confirm what they were like before since I just moved here from Bangkok in December

3bb is the most reliable by far

• 1 year later...

If you are stuck with ADSL 3bb is better then TOT. However if at all possible get Sinet don't even bother with other companies their speed advertised is for bangkok only and won't help one bit if outside the country. Sinet would be the only one who cares enough and have staffs who can communicate with you in English. If you go with just the cheapest you can find then goodluck to you meaning you are stuck with them easy question to ask especially 3bb true and ais. Ask for their share ratio if they wont tell you then they are lying they know just don't want to say it most are terrible especially when they up speed for you and increased the share ratio the sametime to keep the cost the same consumer still get equal to the old garbage they got before. I asked 3 bb a yr ago and now it has gone up higher then acceptable, true has always been high. Ais just terrible service super slow when something happens. If you can read Thai just go to pantip 1000's of customers give their reviews there

I have a 3bb fiber 30/3 at home as well for 1200 just to use as a back up since the speed is not as good as my Sinet I have not really been using it hardly at all going to downgrade it to basic soon and the only time my Sinet was down was either due to power company switching the poles or fire at one of the power pole which both went down anyways btw last week during the hailstorm before Thai new year(April 9th) my 3bb line got damaged and they were so slow fixing it I had to wait until April 16th ago that was a week of downage their answer was I had to wait for them to clear the backlog I even offered to be home during the holiday for them to fix it but they told me no team available my neighbor had their Sinet fixed the next day(10th of april ) Thank god my mainline did not go down it really showed how quickly company handled the situations

Lots of high speed internet providers in Thailand.

But they all get pretty slow if using sources outside of Thailand.

(cos they all use the same international cable)

Not correct. Thailand still has 10 international gateways that connect to different other regional providers.

That one gateway thing is not yet there, but it wont make anything better.

I have recently signed up with Sinet. 700 baht for 35MB/15MB and amazingly I'm getting higher than that..was extremely surprised!

A nice feeling to have fast internet compared to my 5.5MB ADSL connection back in England lol

Same feeling here alot of expats feel the same. Service/price here makes north american standard seems like a third world country

Sinet service gone down - i did support but not now

Where are you located I have been watching movies and just finished right now without any issues?

it's fine now but there have been large drop outs near CMU maybe it'll be ok but I'm bored going over to KSK and asking "what's up"