what did they do,?

pigeonjake

this isnt having go at thais, i dont do thai bashing as people know,

BUT,

what did they do before all these speakers the size of garden sheds pumping out music with base that shakes your legs,,?

it was the same this morning from the temple,

your not telling me that the monks used to play music like they do now,

maybe a bong or a couple of bells, but bloody hell, music this morning at 6am blaring out these shed speakers,

i asked the wife what did they do before all these big speakers,

even she said she didnt know, but it not like this,

you see them driving round with there speakers going to wedings,

why oh why do they have to have the music so bloody loud,

• Like 1

I live alone in a valley on 15 rai, the nearest temple is 2 kilometres away, they dont have any sound equipment, they live up a mountain..........noisiest thing I have is Frogs and insects...................and my Wifes mouth when she comes to visit.

• Like 1

I will make you lot jealous.

I live neither in the City, nor a Village.

The Temple is 10 min drive away ... would be 3 mins if they ever graded the road.

If the wind is right ... I can sometimes faintly hear them.

There are no village loud speakers droning their messages out to a largely ignoring populace.

Our neighbour across the canal does occasionally starts his Thai music up @ 6am ... at a low volume and some pleasant stuff ... I actually look forward to listening to it. and then he only does that once or twice a week.

post-104736-0-39403500-1415246495.jpg

Farm living ... can't beat it sometimes.

Same same but different

• Like 2

I had a post on this about two weeks ago, Buddhism has been around for centuries, long before those big noisy speakers and equipment, and even electricity was invented, it is just pure selfishness at any time of day or to have loud noise blasting among other peoples houses, there is no need for it.

There is absolutely no reason they can't have the volume at an acceptable level.

• Like 2

Also at Thai funerals (or 100 days after it) upcountry they bring those shedsize speakers. Not very respectfull in my opinion but TIT.

But even on Chaweng beach in a resort we had to hear that bass very loud all night, and it was full of quality tourists who sit outside their bungalows all night because they couldn't sleep.

Also in a big hotel at the river (forgot where it was) there were huge partyboats passing by every minute and the soundlevel of them was a disgrace for all hotelguests. There were small groups of Thai sitting and drinking on those boats, nobody danced or talked, they just sit and drink.

• Like 1

Buddhist temples used to have bells. Some of them were immense.

The Mingun Bell located on the Irrawaddy north of Mandalay weighs in at 90,718 kilograms; is 6.31 metres high, and has a diameter of 4.95 metres.

Thank Buddha you live in the age of loudspeakers and not bells, or you would learn what the term "bloody loud" really means.

The Temple is 10 min drive away ... would be 3 mins if they ever graded the road.

There are no village loud speakers droning their messages out to a largely ignoring populace.

Our neighbour across the canal does occasionally starts his Thai music up @ 6am ... at a low volume and some pleasant stuff ... I actually look forward to listening to it. and then he only does that once or twice a week.

I hope it doesn't happen to you, really - but it only takes one!

The Mingun Bell located on the Irrawaddy north of Mandalay weighs in at 90,718 kilograms; is 6.31 metres high, and has a diameter of 4.95 metres.

Thank Buddha you live in the age of loudspeakers and not bells, or you would learn what the term "bloody loud" really means.

but they wouldnt ring the bell all night, then up at 4,5,or 6 and start again with the bell,,

it would be like in england some one ringing the bells all day,

they are rang at wedings, christenings, to bring people to church, but only for half an hour or so,

i just dont get why so much and so laud music, thats all,

im saying before electric, like posumn says, they would ring a bell, bang a gong, gingle,,,lol,

but not all this noise, it cant be right at a temple,

but like some one else said,, TIT, and funny things happen,

but i still love it,,,,,,

Loud music, regardless of the country or nationality, is usually a way for small people to feel important. It's the same reason why homeless and low class people talk loud and have their arguments in public.

Wow you seem full of prejudices. You must be high class saying this crap in public too.... <deleted>

• Like 2

Wow that bell has the same weight as 3! Boeing 737 planes and was built in 1873.

That's impressive! How did they build that? It should be on discovery channel.

Does Thailand also have impressive bells like that? I bet they have tried to build something like that to show the Burmese who's boss.

I think they used elefants to build it, i will go see it one day.

Thanks for posting this.

post-190589-0-09329800-1415268597_thumb.

Edited by namdocmai

but they wouldnt ring the bell all night, then up at 4,5,or 6 and start again with the bell,,

it would be like in england some one ringing the bells all day,

they are rang at wedings, christenings, to bring people to church, but only for half an hour or so,

i just dont get why so much and so laud music, thats all,

im saying before electric, like posumn says, they would ring a bell, bang a gong, gingle,,,lol,

but not all this noise, it cant be right at a temple,

but like some one else said,, TIT, and funny things happen,

but i still love it,,,,,,

How do we know at what times of the day or night they would ring the big bells in the old days?

One thing is for sure, it wouldn't "...be like in england..."

You can bet the ranch on that.

• Like 1

Not to forget: The Temples are in competition with each other. So, a Temple that can afford those contraptions is a "successful" Temple versus the ones that can't afford them.

What Temple will the Thai choose, to get the winning lottery numbers or bargain for "Happy Life"? The "successful" Temples of course.

- An arms race measured in decibels has been started. This trend will continue until the noise level will get to a point where the monks and their congregation will no more be able to understand each other on the I-Phone.

If that comes to pass, we all will remember the old days, when only Motorbikes operated by juveniles (Motorbike minimum 125 ccm, IQ of driver hovering around 55) and truck drivers. A truck driver, that hasn't managed to pimp up his truck to a noise level equal or surpassing the noise level of the trumpets of Jericho is a wimp ! There you have it.

Cheers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Loud music, regardless of the country or nationality, is usually a way for small people to feel important. It's the same reason why homeless and low class people talk loud and have their arguments in public.

So Sorry, bwana!

Can't you accept that your perception of what loud music does or does not represent is restricted by cultural norms in your own country.

In some cultures the volume of the music is directly proportional to one's reverence for it.

That the OP can hear and feel the bass so clearly shows that those playing it love it enough to spend money on top line equipment that won't distort at high vlumes.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So Sorry, bwana!

Can't you accept that your perception of what loud music does or does not represent is restricted by cultural norms in your own country.

In some cultures the volume of the music is directly proportional to one's reverence for it.

That the OP can hear and feel the bass so clearly shows that those playing it love it enough to spend money on top line equipment that won't distort at high vlumes.

i cant feel it in the house,,lol

but ive felt it at wedings ect,

i just cant understand why they want it so loud, when at wedings you cant have a conversation, just the bloody music,,

So Sorry, bwana!

i just cant understand why they want it so loud, when at wedings you cant have a conversation, just the bloody music,,

It's inconsiderate. Some cultural norms are universal.

No matter where you live, the loudspeaker bombing will eventually get you. I was okay with the occasional blast coming through the village for some holiday or another. But where things really wore me down was when the Red Shirts set up camp about a kilometer away on Uttthayan Road last spring and thumped out speeches over the loudspeakers 24/7 for a few weeks. My village is pretty much in a Yellow area, but none of this seemed to bother anybody but me. Thais seem to just shrug it off.

So Sorry, bwana!

I can see why you might think that given the blinkers you've got strapped to the sides of your skull but if it bugs you THAT much, you can always MOVE.

Just be sure to conduct better due diligence next time you're in the market for a standard-issue, farang McMansion in the butt-end of Nakhon Nowhere.

That way you won't be disturbed by the locals observing their right to play a little music at volume on special occasions.

• Like 1

So Sorry, bwana!

I can see why you might think that given the blinkers you've got strapped to the sides of your skull but if it bugs you THAT much, you can always MOVE.

Just be sure to conduct better due diligence next time you're in the market for a standard-issue, farang McMansion in the butt-end of Nakhon Nowhere.

That way you won't be disturbed by the locals observing their right to play a little music at volume on special occasions.

I live on a quiet soi in Bangkok. Noise has never been a problem for me. But I know what the OP is talking about. And I don't care where a person is or comes from; making enough noise to keep the whole neighborhood awake is inconsiderate, no matter how you try to sell it.

Been there, done that too....

Nothing at night but the loud whining of mosquitoes and the loud incessant croaking of thousands of frogs and toads all night, followed by the non stop crowing of roosters starting at 4:00 am.

At least here, near town, my noisy neighbors do not bite me and suck my blood....yet! 555

It's all good, and it's all bad....a balance of sorts!

The Buddhist way....balanced! 555

Love Thailand!

Same same but different

Been there, done that too....

Nothing at night but the loud whining of mosquitoes and the loud incessant croaking of thousands of frogs and toads all night, followed by the non stop crowing of roosters starting at 4:00 am.

At least here, near town, my noisy neighbors do not bite me and suck my blood....yet! 555

It's all good, and it's all bad....a balance of sorts!

The Buddhist way....balanced! 555

Love Thailand!

Same same but different