Bangkok taxi driver returns THB2 million to Indonesian tourists

webfact

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How come every story with money in taxi always has Money is a black bag - is there some underground massive network of black bag bank networks going on? and always left behind only in a black bag, liek you have money, in a black bag, and carry it like that.

Not in a black bag and in your carry bag, just a black bag, in your hand - again , what is this mysterious network of black bag big money peoples network.

Someone still asks where are the HQ tourists for Thailand ?

They wanted to spend 2 Mill on full moon party !

HQ tourists are back,

( Original they wanted to join the FB in Koh Tao, and they had been informed,

for any case of a disput with local VH or RTP they shoud have this amount in cash in the pocket,

not new nates, and not numbered !!

And on the envelope with BIG letters: KKK RTP !!

I don't know any "tourists" who would be carrying that amount of serious money on them.

It's way more than the allowed amount for bringing in and taking out of the country too.

tourists? Or couriers?

Exactly. Three Indonesians carrying a bag with over $60,000 cash? Tourists? I don't think so.

• Like 2

mmmmm . . . find 2,000,000 THB, returns it to owners and gets 5,000 THB "reward" . . . I wonder if he'll bother next time . . . ?

It's great that he's honest and fair, but honestly, those "tourists" are taking the piss with that reward!

Can I say a couple of things. Firstly, I have met many good taxi drivers in Bangkok. Also met some shonks as well. I believe in this case the guy is a genuine buddhist who believes in karma. Also these days with all of the photo i.d. etc... in the car he may have figured that it was better to try for a reward and get something than to be chased down by the cops and lose it all to them.

As to the 5000 reward I think that we must remember that these are Indonesians and the sum total may have been their life savings and they were in Thailand to do business (even drug business) 5000 would represent a lot to them.

mmmmm . . . find 2,000,000 THB, returns it to owners and gets 5,000 THB "reward" . . . I wonder if he'll bother next time . . . ?

It's great that he's honest and fair, but honestly, those "tourists" are taking the piss with that reward!

Absolutely spot on Tatsujin! A minimum reward for his honesty should have been B50,000.

Cheap bastards.

Personally, I've always worked on 10-20% of the value of what has been lost as a "fair" finders fee.

I'd rather lose 20% than 100%, and fairs fair after all.

• Like 2

I find this very hard to believe............

Can anyone really imagine many people, let alone a taxi driver, turn over Thb 2 million to the police?...........c'mon BP.......us elnglish news readers are only 1/2 stupid!

All these "returning money" tales from taxi drivers.....makes me think that TAT is involved??.....the minister is silly enough to go this way!

I have no problem believing the story that a taxi drivers returns money found in his taxi.

Why I have no problem believing it:

- the "tourists" were able to track down the taxi they took, so they can easily find out who the driver was and where he lives (maybe for a small cash bribe)

- "tourists" do not carry around 2mln baht in cash when coming from abroad

- people who carry around that kind of money are probably connected to some underground activities locally

- stealing 2mln baht from people with underground connections who can track you down, and your family, is not very smart.

-> I wouldn't take my chances either and would go for the cash reward.

Edited by Bob12345

Yes, ok true or not, they would never be reporting this stuff had it been a claim that a thai taxi cab driver stole 2 million. its amazing what the news media will do in this country to prop up the status of Thais...."look look, he did something noble and honest, this place isn't as crooked as you think!!!"

Can I say a couple of things. Firstly, I have met many good taxi drivers in Bangkok. Also met some shonks as well. I believe in this case the guy is a genuine buddhist who believes in karma. Also these days with all of the photo i.d. etc... in the car he may have figured that it was better to try for a reward and get something than to be chased down by the cops and lose it all to them.

As to the 5000 reward I think that we must remember that these are Indonesians and the sum total may have been their life savings and they were in Thailand to do business (even drug business) 5000 would represent a lot to them.

You're overthinking it.

They were picked up at the airport, the airport has a record of which driver picker them up. Photo, ID, number plate, phone numbers, they have the lot. So it's hard to claim (for example) "It wasn't me, guv" if he had decided to not hand it in.

And sorry, no . . . I don't agree one little bit with your Indonesian 5k argument. Aside from the illegality of actually bringing IN that amount of cash, there are much simpler legal options to transfer large sums of cash into the country if they needed it here for whatever reason.

• Like 2

I'm very often hearing about taxi drivers returning lost money and valuables. It's really quite amazing how many people leave valuables in taxis, as one would expect that the vast majority of taxi drivers would keep what has been lost. In fact it's almost unbelievable how often I read about this, makes you wonder.

It just goes to show that those without much money are far more honest, and those with money are crooked cheating politicians people.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sorry.. I dont believe it....

Its a coincidence that all this is coming in at a time when Thailand needs good publicity after the mess its caused itself.

exxceeeellllent point

I've stopped telling people I live in Thailand now, kind of embarrassing

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 1

But now the police and customs are going to be all over this one......with Indonesians arriving through the airport with $60,000 in undeclared cash?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

simple, you just don't claim it and hope no one searches your bags...not that hard

How did he get $60K into the country? You are only allowed $10K max per person, does anyone else find that strange???

Cash probably confiscated for not making declaration!

Suspicious carrying that much cash around unless you're Mike Tyson!

Sounds to me like a purely propaganda move to try to convince people that Thailand is changing for the better. I hope I'm wrong. Also I question the motive for having 2million baht on their possession.

Edited by ldiablo