Japanese vs Thai food - which do you like better and why?

Poppy39

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Japanese, Indian,Mexican,Spanish.... Anything that's not Thai would be my choice.

Another pointless Thai bashing post by some bitter old dear who can't cope.

OK so how does not liking Thai food add up to Thai Bashing? Please give a little more explanation. If I say, Japanese, Mexican, Indian or Spanish, anything but French, is that French Bashing? not really, stop trying to look for something that isn't there...it was a legitimate response to a legitimate question, lets leave it at that.

Edited by Smurkster

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Japanese food is NOT RAW FISH........it only compromises 10% of their diet........that's why you guys are in Pattaya.......idiots.

true japanese food is incredibly diverse...although Thai food is very diverse too, however too often I find it the same boring combination of Oyster sauce, sugar, fish sauce and MSG...at least Central Thai food....

Japanese, Indian,Mexican,Spanish.... Anything that's not Thai would be my choice.

Not Thai bashing, not bitter, not old. Just think there's better, healthy food than Thai food.

But thank you for your attempts at analysing my character. Pointless, but nice try.

It depends on where I am fishing.....chasing a freshwater fish, well a traditional Thai feed of grasshopper usually works, if I'm after a saltwater/reef fish I find the Japanese food/bait works better.

Horses for courses......especially in Europe from what I understand!!

Not Thai bashing, not bitter, not old. Just think there's better, healthy food than Thai food.
But thank you for your attempts at analysing my character. Pointless, but nice try.

exactly what I said, no need to feed the folks who are always looking for an excuse to find Thai bashing when it isn't present.....

Both cuisines have excellent food. I've travelled a lot and surprisingly I think food is best in Australia. Great fresh seafood, excellent Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Mediterranean restaurants, good beef, great wine, best coffee in the world. So if food would be my mine criteria, I'd be staying in Australia now.

Agree with you 100% in respect to Thai and Japanese cuisines. However, as an Aussie I can tell you that I miss the fresh seafood and availability of good beef and lamb. Poor quality in Thailand and expensive. We are supposed to have a free trade agreement but there is certainly no price advantage for the customer. Same with the wines, It is the variety and quality of foods that I miss. The variety has been brought about through multiculturalism and is one of the very few benefits derived from this social experiment.

My Thai Wife and I use to eat Japanese at least once a week in Chiang Mai......there are really great inexpensive Japanese restaurants in Chiang Mai....my wife loves it as much as I do.....

As for Thai restaurants ? We have discovered that most restaurants have only one or two plates they do really well.....so ? if we would like to eat a Kao Soi ? we go to a place we know that makes the best ever !!!! ....same for Khaw Man Kai.....!!!! ...or Khaw Ka Moo.....!!!...these plates are quite simple to make but still you have a huge difference in taste compared to other places....and I'm not talking MSG.....!!!

My wife is a great kook and has excellent taste buds, she knows exactly what is in every plate we eat....!!!

I would say BON APPÉTIT.....!!!

I never figured out the attraction of the boiling stuff in water at MK.

you mean the sukiyaki ?

Thai suki, known simply as suki (Thai: สุกี้, pronounced [sū.kîː]) in Thailand, is a Thai variant of hot pot, a communal dish where diners dip meat, seafood, noodles, dumplings and vegetables into a pot of broth cooking at the table and dip it into a spicy "sukiyaki sauce" before eating. Despite the name, the dish only barely resembles Japanese sukiyaki, having more in common with shabu shabu and Chinese hot pot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_suki

Love them both, but Thai edges it for me because I'm a sucker for sour (lime juice etc) and chilies. I really like the four flavour principle of a lot of Thai food: sour, sweet, spicy, salty from different sources (e.g., sour from lime or vinegar), in different combinations, and with different 'supporting flavours' (mint, chinese parsley, etc.). Great stuff. But my gf is tired of telling waitresses, etc., to make the food for Thai people (so they don't drop the chillies because of the white face at the table).

My Thai Wife and I use to eat Japanese at least once a week in Chiang Mai......there are really great inexpensive Japanese restaurants in Chiang Mai....my wife loves it as much as I do.....

As for Thai restaurants ? We have discovered that most restaurants have only one or two plates they do really well.....so ? if we would like to eat a Kao Soi ? we go to a place we know that makes the best ever !!!! ....same for Khaw Man Kai.....!!!! ...or Khaw Ka Moo.....!!!...these plates are quite simple to make but still you have a huge difference in taste compared to other places....and I'm not talking MSG.....!!!

My wife is a great kook and has excellent taste buds, she knows exactly what is in every plate we eat....!!!

I would say BON APPÉTIT.....!!!

Mine, too.

Japanese food, it seems to be cooked without all the oil that Thai food is and you cannot argue with the facts that generally Japanese live an average of 12-15 years longer than Thais, but I think a lot of that has to do with more refined culture too

Japanese tempura is all cooked in oil and Thai Khao Man Gai (one of the most common and popular Thai foods) , soups and all that MK stuff is not cooked in oil.

Khao Man Gai not cooked in Oil?? the name of the dish is literally "rice fat chicken" the dish is swimming in oil! the greasy texture of the rice is enough to make me want to vomit, yes tempera is cooked in oil an example of a not so healthy Japanese food

Is the tempera unhealthy or what is the oil that is unhealthy?

Thai food is much better because of the flavours. I hate Japanese food (too much fish), but it's not as bad as Korean food - the worst 'cuisine' in the world. Rice, kimchie, a fried, un-gutted fish and soup made from something that used to live under a rock on the beach... for every single meal: breakfast, lunch & dinner. It all tastes the same... and everything is slathered in gochu-jang (hot, bitter red pepper paste).

You will fit right in ...

1. classic TV move by creating Red Herring/Deflection from the original post

2. classic generalization (not all Korean food are slathered in kochujang)

Pretty soon I'll be saying everyone who commits a crime in Thailand must have eaten at a Korean restaurant. wink.png

I spent six years in Korea and never want to see/taste Korean food again. Although, degi galbi is not bad... if you have enough soju to make sitting on the floor bearable. burp.gif

Is the tempera unhealthy or what is the oil that is unhealthy?

Same as asking about the difference between steamed chicken and fried chicken. It is the fat. Half the calories in tempura shrimp are from fat. Depends on what you believe about different kinds of cooking oil. Lose weight eat steamed fish and vegetables. Gain weight eat rice and tempura.

whistling.gif Frankly, it all depends on my mood that particular day.

If I was forced to choose I would say probably pick Japanese over Thai.

I'm not big on really hot (spicy) food.

Actually, Korean would usually top both of them most days.

But as I said, it would all depend on my particular mood that particular day.

I was born in the U.S., I've worked all over the world for over 45 years, and I see no reason to limit myself to any one culture or place.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

At post #26,

TLT, should learn the difference between, khoa plao, khao suay and khao man gai.

The name itself tells you how its made, khao man gai, made with chicken fat.

F F S, just a quick glance at it tells you its probably one of the most unhealthy rices you could ever eat, never mind, taste and texture.

• 2 years later...

This topic is already old, but I have to write something... it is really amazing that many who write, don't read. Me telling that Japanese food is not all uncooked or not processed, doesn't stop some people to continue writing that all Japanese food is uncooked.

Did they try okonomiyaki?, Katsudon in all its variations? (by the way this type of food is original foreign, but adapted to Japanese taste).

How about Udon or miso soup, and all its varieties...

In the time that I nearly every month spent some time in Japan, I ate most of the time cooked or fried food. But also raw food, the kind you find on sushi or as sashimi.

The worst food I ate in Asia is Filipino food in the Philippines and one time in China, some lokal food. The best Filippino food ever, I ate in a small village near Nagoya, in a Filippino owned shop. Some kind of stew with rice, very tasty, a lot better then whaterer I ate in the Philippines.

3 hours ago, garrya said:

Seriously, what is Japanese "food"?

No idea, but as every shopping Mall seems to have about a dozen Japanese restaurants the Thais must like it!

Edited by gmac

11 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Much prefer Japanese to Thai food. Tempura, teriyaki, sushi, ramen, etc. - LOVE the stuff. 

in Thailand they brutalize the nasty ingredients with strong spices to get them to taste good...in Japan they got good ingredients and the preparation is designed to enhance the natural flavor...

itsa shame, haven't had any good japanese food since I left California...once had a jap restaurant around the corner and ate there 3 times a week...never got tired of the stuff...

• Like 2

On June 25, 2017 at 4:26 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

in Thailand they brutalize the nasty ingredients with strong spices to get them to taste good...in Japan they got good ingredients and the preparation is designed to enhance the natural flavor...

itsa shame, haven't had any good japanese food since I left California...once had a jap restaurant around the corner and ate there 3 times a week...never got tired of the stuff...

The best Japanese restaurant I've ever eaten at was on Irving street in San Francisco 40 years ago. Boy do I miss that place. I have been to Japan, but that was before Google, so not sure how good the restaurants I ate at were. They were on the low end price-wise, so probably not that good. 

My dear late wife was from Japan, and I had the chance to dive deep into the cuisine. It's really much more diverse than "raw fish" and "teriyaki". Props to those above who have mentioned that most sushi or sashimi is rarely truly "raw"; the fish is usually marinated in something or another. And yeah, okonomiyaki is a real surprising delight; check out chawanmushi sometime. The Japanese are scrupulously clean. Very little weird stuff that I can't stomach (expect for that slimy, toe-jam smelling natto stuff!)...

I suppose I should look forward to diving as deeply into Thai cuisine. Maybe I'll get over my aversion with the rotten fish sauce, huh? Aw, don't count on it....

• Like 1