Thailand: Push for more European tourists

webfact

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you that think you cannot buy travel insurance for Thailand

YOU ARE WRONG!

Being under military rule does not activate any sort of war exclusion clause unless your claim is as a direct result of military action e.g you get shot by military personnel. If you are sick, have an accident, lose your luggage or get robbed, you will still be covered.

The World Travel & Tourism Council doesn't share your viewpoint; the situation is much less clear cut. To quote from them:

Will [martial law] affect travel insurance?

This is very much a grey area. Usually, martial law triggers an exclusion clause in policies ... Be sure to check with your provider to see what these changes may mean to you.

Source: http://www.wttc.org/2014/may/faq-what-does-martial-law-mean-for-thailand/

And I'd suggest you get the provider's interpretation in writing. Many insurance companies are notorious for denying major claims if they can. Google "travel insurance scams" for an eye opener.

You may get your $75 hotel room paid if the flight is cancelled. And that gets great press in the travel blogs- for peanuts on the part of the insurer.

But when it comes to a $75,000 medical evacuation, you may find out that, "Uh-oh, Thailand is under Martial Law and we don't cover that".

• Like 1

YOU ARE WRONG!

Being under military rule does not activate any sort of war exclusion clause unless your claim is as a direct result of military action e.g you get shot by military personnel. If you are sick, have an accident, lose your luggage or get robbed, you will still be covered.

The World Travel & Tourism Council doesn't share your viewpoint; the situation is much less clear cut. To quote from them:

Will [martial law] affect travel insurance?

This is very much a grey area. Usually, martial law triggers an exclusion clause in policies ... Be sure to check with your provider to see what these changes may mean to you.

Source: http://www.wttc.org/2014/may/faq-what-does-martial-law-mean-for-thailand/

And I'd suggest you get the provider's interpretation in writing. Many insurance companies are notorious for denying major claims if they can. Google "travel insurance scams" for an eye opener.

You may get your $75 hotel room paid if the flight is cancelled. And that gets great press in the travel blogs- for peanuts on the part of the insurer.

But when it comes to a $75,000 medical evacuation, you may find out that, "Uh-oh, Thailand is under Martial Law and we don't cover that".

There are possible claims where an exclusion may be applied. No one has denied that.

But can you buy travel insurance for a trip to Thailand? Yes.

Is the insurance valid for claims not caused as a direct result of martial law? Yes.

Can a regular claim be denied purely because Thailand is under martial law? Generally no.

There may be other reasons for denial, there may even be a few policies which would preclude coverage, in which case they shouldn't sell the policy in the first place.

If you are unsure then read the small print. I've never even seen the term martial law used in a policy wording (though I've only looked at a few) and the only other area of concern is if your Government specifically advises against travel to Thailand (not just an advisory) as this may negate coverage so read your Government's advice as well as the policy wording.

YOU ARE WRONG!

On another point, backpacker numbers seems to be well down this year. I'm looking at it from Phuket. I have no idea of numbers at last week's Koh Phangan full moon party or what's happening on Khao San Road. Anyone know?

Periodically I ride past that way and do a loop around that area to check on tourist numbers. A simple test is how far down I can see at a set time. Last week you could see almost all the way through from both ends and there are very few people at the bus stops. I accept that it is low season but it is quieter than I have seen in 6 years....much.

"*why get a passport and visa when you can go to Hawaii? (Only an insane person would pick Thailand over Hawaii)"

Seems a limited understanding of Americans (I am one). I started coming here in 82, lived here last 13 years, and didn't come for the hookers and booze. I wanted a different culture to experience. In 82 started in Thailand and worked way down to Bali: very few Americans there at the time.

I see travel something like blood spatter forensics, and I wanted to get far away from point of impact of other Americans. Hawaii just didn't cut it, and went thru airport there many times on way to Asia.

The Good Ole Days...

Thailand is going to very much be a more low quality Tourist destination .

All the Data supports that.

Indian people - Chinese - perhaps eastern Euro folks

Iranians - and the Africans who we are told don't have any viruses

Sounds like LoS is going back to its roots then. In some ways compared to the clampdowns in the Taksin days I prefer it as it is now. More modernized, yet still having the wild and free factor (albeit less than it was 14 years ago).