Chiang Mai Police probe explosion in farmer's house

webfact

Police probe explosion in farmer's house
Supachai Wisessan,
Ayutai Nonnitirat
The Nation

30247195-03_big.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- POLICE ARE working to determine how potassium chlorate, which is widely used as a fertiliser by farmers, triggered a serious explosion at a farmer's home in Chiang Mai province.

The stored chemical exploded on Wednesday, injuring seven people and very likely killing two others.

Payom Nantasarn and Somjai Yajai have been missing since the blast and are feared dead, given that police found large chunks of human flesh at their house.

As many as 24 houses in the area were damaged from the explosion, which could be heard 10 kilometres away.

Song Pengjai, a neighbour, said the blast was so loud that his ears are still ringing.

"I also saw thick smoke coming from that house," he said. Song got away with no injuries, but at least seven other neighbours, including a toddler and two 95-year-olds sustained injuries.

Several vehicles in the neighbourhood were also damaged. The total damage has been estimated at well over Bt3 million.

According to initial investigation, Payom and Somjai were found to have bought 500kg of potassium chlorate for their longan plantation.

Police Captain Saharat Meechamnarn, a deputy inspector for bomb-disposal operations, said potassium chlorate was not inflammable. "But maybe the locals mixed it with sulphur, which may trigger an explosion when exposed to heat or friction," he explained.

In the wake of this tragic incident, Maj-General Sarayut Rangsee, chief of the 33rd Military Circle, visited the victims and their families to offer moral support.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-probe-explosion-in-farmers-house-30247195.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-07

Not the most stable of chemicals potassium chlorate. Needs storing with adequate ventilation and needs to be kept dry, get that wrong and, well, this is a textbook example of the results. Even more of a worry would be if there were some petrochemical products leaking near by.

Anyone ever watch that TV show Breaking Bad?

Anyone ever hear that meth is rampant in Thailand?

I wouldn't know a bag of meth if you smacked me upside the head with it, but apparently meth labs are prone to explosions.

Just sayin'...

I had an alcohol still in Kuwait & it's a wonder I didn't blow myself up a few times.

One thing I am certain of is that certain elements will have been instructed to prepare for a fight to take power as plan-B. It was supposed to be a bloodbath in 2010 to kick it off but it didn't work and as time is moving on, someone is getting older and living in hotel bunkers and relying on cronies for information can drive a man to live in his own make-believe world (ask Hitler about that).

Lets hope this was just an accident and not a cover for making explosives.

There is a pretty exciting experiment on youtube with gummy bears and a very small amount of this stuff.

Apparently even the sugar on your skin can set it off, pretty scary stuff to be storing. Glad none of my neighbours grow longans!

Accident???

Bomb making also springs to mind, 500kg is a significant amount and not everyone is enthralled with the current military government.

There is also the ongoing conflict in the south which over the years has been linked to bombs in Bangkok.

In Afghanistan and Iraq, Potassium chlorate has surpassed fertilizer as the explosive of choice for insurgents.

The shift to potassium chlorate from ammonium nitrate fertilizers is significant because the material is easier to

acquire and turn into an explosive than fertilizer, is nearly as powerful, and it costs even less.

Let us hope that a through investigation follows up on this possibility to ensure the safety of the public.

I concur, having had some experience in my younger days making chlorate bombs.

It would only explode with some force if contained in a cylinder (gas?). Loose chlorate (oxidiser) and fuel (oxidant) would just flare intensely without causing an explosion.

TV is so full of Red/Yellow crap these days it's a complete waist of time. If some take a look back to circa 1997 and find out what 10 ton of this stuff did, they would understand two things. 1, PC is used extensively as a fertilider, and 2, it is a little surprising that more accidents don't happen.

Locals here in Chiang Mai think they were trying to make - and sell - home-made fireworks for Loy Krathong - but must have been too clumsy mixing the chemicals

Home made fireworks use gunpowder, which is on sale in many Thai markets by the kilo.

Yep, I make my own.

"Half Kilo of gunpowder and a meter of fuse please".

Sounds like these guys were storing bags of fertilizer under the house, then cooking next to it.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Locals here in Chiang Mai think they were trying to make - and sell - home-made fireworks for Loy Krathong - but must have been too clumsy mixing the chemicals

Home made fireworks use gunpowder, which is on sale in many Thai markets by the kilo.

Yep, I make my own.

"Half Kilo of gunpowder and a meter of fuse please".

Sounds like these guys were storing bags of fertilizer under the house, then cooking next to it.

Don't let probable fact get in the way of everybody else's conspiracy theory...

• Like 1

I was going to attempt at humor, conspiracy, etc... but then I read this once more:

"Payom Nantasarn and Somjai Yajai have been missing since the blast and are feared dead, given that police found large chunks of human flesh at their house."

and decided against it.

I wish an editor would revise to something less gruesome.....not that I'm an editor... "Payom Nantasarn and Somjai Yajai are feared dead, as it appears they were unable to evacuate the house in time ."

Used to make bombs in my younger days from weedkiller and sugar.............the only problem, which I didn't know at the time, was that it was completely unstable when mixed.

So I was very lucky because myself and a few mates would make up the bombs in metal pipes, put them in a bag on the petrol tank of our motorbikes and drive into the woods to have fun setting them off. Very lucky to be alive IMO!!!!!!!! (young and foolish springs to mind).

Sorry for the folks that perished, but it is (can be) dangerous stuff.

Many of the lamyai farmers apply this chemical to their trees to hasten flowering, thus gettimg a fruit earlier in season when price is higher. Application of 500 kg would depend on age/size of tree and of course the number of trees involved.

They are not trained in the correct storage, much less the handling of any chemicals used on the farm on a regular basis much less something used once a year or maybe even the first time. This type of explosion is almost a yearly event in Thailand, who knows what the orginal purpose for purchase was, those who might give answers do not appear to have surived.