Movies currently playing in cinemas in Thailand!

Jingthing

Why not a running thread to discuss movies worth seeing (and ones to miss) that are CURRENTLY playing in Thailand?!?

So, I'll start.

I caught THE EQUALIZER, starring DENZEL WASHINGTON. kind of an "intelligent" action movie and I was impressed with both the action, the intelligence, and the acting.

This film is VERY VIOLENT, but done artfully.

I am not usually a big fan of that genre, but there you go. If somethings good, its good.

There are some hilariously evil Russian villains in the film ... which will be especially amusing to expats in places like Pattaya.

There was a scene in the movie where some Asian lady workers in a crime operation were paid off to leave with big chunks of cash ... that scene elicited loud laughter in my audience ... it sounded like from the Thais.

It certainly seems like there will be a sequel with the same lead character based on the end scene of the movie. Looking forward to it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455944/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I want to add part of the idea of this thread. We are watching these movies in Thailand so the audiences are different in Thailand. In the OP, I mentioned some localized things about watching it here. I think that kind of thing might be interesting. Like the audience reaction to the Asian workers payoff scene wouldn't have happened everywhere. I forget to mention that when I left the theater I noticed some of the audience were speaking Russian (who could obviously follow the English) and I was wondering what they thought about the way the Russian characters were portrayed in the movies.

Another layer of this film was how it dealt with class differences in America. The respect the lead character who was obviously coming from an elite but was posing as a worker showed towards working class and Latino people I felt was a kind of a subtext of a political statement. Not to mention his compassion towards a prostitute. Kind of Jesus-like.

Don't worry ... the highlights are the SHOOT EM UP scenes!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The underlying message was self empowerment & believing in one's self to make changes in your life/circumstances....the lead is teflon coated as finger prints & bodies are left scattered/littered around the world and nobody seems too interested in catching him - except for the bad guy that was smart enough to - but he was nailed in the end - so no continuing heavies to carry on his work....

Where his funds and resources to track down his prey comes from is also left as part of the mystery......

He's not the only villain the world. Good point about the message. A very old fashioned conservative American message ... that anyone can take control of their lives and raise themselves. But looked at objectively ... the obese Latino man seeking a promotion to security guard ... that's kind of comical, considering you can't pay the rent for decent housing in most American cities on a full time security guard job.

Bringing a Thai perspective to this. security guard is a low status job in both Thailand and the USA. But a typical security guard in Thailand CAN afford some clean basic housing on his salary with the ONE full time job.

Edited by Jingthing

He's not the only villain the world. Good point about the message. A very old fashioned conservative American message ... that anyone can take control of their lives and raise themselves. But looked at objectively ... the obese Latino man seeking a promotion to security guard ... that's kind of comical, considering you can't pay the rent for decent housing in most American cities on a full time security guard job.

There was the comic aspect of that - but for some it is a step up/right direction - hope......he did show/grow character/backbone - and got away from his easy give up attitude in the end......

• Like 1

PROPOSED GUIDELINES FOR THIS THREAD

I am hoping this thread might become a long running and useful thread for the peoples here on the internets.

But for it to work, I think certain guidelines would be best followed. We have other threads about video entertainment in general but the intention of this thread is really different -- ONLY FOR MOVIES CURRENTLY PLAYING AT THAILAND'S MOVIE THEATERS.

In case anyone is wondering. OF COURSE comments on actual THAI MOVIES (again currently playing) are welcome as well.

Of course if it closed last week and you still want to talk about it, no worries, but if for example someone wants to comment on The Equalizer three months from now when it is long out of screens here, not so good.

Obviously this isn't a forum rule or anything that can be enforced in any way ... but I think if this basic thing is followed

ONLY FOR MOVIES CURRENTLY PLAYING IN THAILAND'S MOVIE THEATERS

it will add value to this thread and potentially become something that hasn't been done before at Thaivisa.

Thanks for listening. Enjoy the movies!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I just got back from watching The Equalizer, and enjoyed it. Simple action story of putting wrongs right, think there will be a sequal. If you want an arty movie, well it isn't for you.

Tomorrow I think I'll watch Gone Girl, based on recommendations here.

• Like 1

Equalizer sucked. Same as all the Liam Neeson movies nowadays: Old guy with secret past kills tons of people.

Doubtful I saw it? It is SOOO difficult to buy a movie ticket! You are so lucky that you had the chance to do so!

OK, boychik. You win. You saw it. Thanks for sharing your opinion about the movie. Cheers.

BTW, that diner is so Edward Hopper!

post-37101-0-76204100-1415472862_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

Equalizer sucked. Same as all the Liam Neeson movies nowadays: Old guy with secret past kills tons of people.

Doubtful I saw it? It is SOOO difficult to buy a movie ticket! You are so lucky that you had the chance to do so!

Be interested to know what you consider to be a good movie.

INTERSTELLAR IS HERE!w00t.gif

Should you see it?

It is very LONG!

But: Is this the correct choice for you in this moment of dire cinematic need? Let us help you make the best possible decision. A lot is riding on it. Perhaps too much.

Perhaps everything

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/should-you-see-it-a-curious-consumers-decision-making-guide-to-interstellar/

Saw it today but Thai version because I did't want to wait 3 hours for the next English one.....not sure I'd want to see it again....some things don't make sense....effects are good.....a popular actor shows up in the middle of the movie and tries killing the hero for no good reason...they get into the space time continuim thing in the most unlikely way imaginable at the end which completely dilutes the movie's direction.....maybe better in English....let someone else chime in.....

• Like 1

John Wick was better than the Equalizer, he killed far more Russian gangsters, cos they killed his puppy.

Interstellar was bore of the year, plot holes a mile wide, it would have been better if an hour shorter, wouldn't have wasted as much of my life.

@PG worse in English, I'm thinking.

.....a popular actor shows up in the middle of the movie and tries killing the hero for no good reason......

A popular actor who can walk faster in a spacesuit than our heros can fly in a jet aircraft.

Gone Girl, 2/3 was very good, last 1/3 was rubbish, those old plot holes keep appearing

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

John Wick was better than the Equalizer, he killed far more Russian gangsters, cos they killed his puppy.

Interstellar was bore of the year, plot holes a mile wide, it would have been better if an hour shorter, wouldn't have wasted as much of my life.

@PG worse in English, I'm thinking.

.....a popular actor shows up in the middle of the movie and tries killing the hero for no good reason......

A popular actor who can walk faster in a spacesuit than our heros can fly in a jet aircraft.

Gone Girl, 2/3 was very good, last 1/3 was rubbish, those old plot holes keep appearing

I think you're right about Wick being better. The reviews on Interstellar are odd. Either must see very important movie or like you said big bore. I am curious.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Drats! Gone girl is now GONE from the Thai theaters!

Sometimes you really gotta rush in there if you want to catch things on the BIG screen.

I see today a really horrible movie has opened: The Pact 2.

So many movies opening here like that ... total low budget duds and I'm guessing most of the local Thai market doesn't know that. Ca-ching!rolleyes.gif

(Yes, we know there will be other ways to view these movies, but this thread isn't about that.)

Any tip for a good Thai movie? I saw Countdown (2013) at the cinema and it's an awesome movie. Recommended.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2603308/

Please be reminded this thread is meant for movies CURRENTLY playing at the movie theaters in Thailand.

Currently. I see two Thai movies playing in Pattaya anyway:

Raew-Talu-Raew
Na-Mo OK
No idea about either of them.
Any comments on Thai movies CURRENTLY PLAYING most welcome.
There have been a number of threads over the years discussing ideas for good Thai movies that have ALREADY played.
This site USED to be a great source in English about CURRENT Thai movies, but sadly the site appears to not be updated anymore!
I wonder if there is alternative English language site with info about CURRENTLY PLAYING Thai movies?
Cheers.
Edited by Jingthing

Has "Get on Up" been released here yet?

Nope. And according to IMDB there are no plans to ever release that movie in Thailand theaters. Most films of course are never released in Thailand. We have a very limited selection to choose from (in theaters anyway) compared to the US, Europe, Australia. etc.