Movies currently playing in cinemas in Thailand!

Jingthing

Well I did see Exodus, another long one.

I found it watchable but really wouldn't recommend it to others.

Presumably you already know the religious myth behind the story of Moses and here it is told again with creative license.

The overall dramatic effect of the movie was not effective.

However, some highlights:

Showing God as boy instead of not showing at all or showing as an old bearded man was an unusual choice. Probably a poor choice but definitely different and interesting.

The special effects for the plagues and the crossing the sea scenes were somewhat fascinating.

Thai audiences might relate to the TSUNAMI like scenes and resulting floating bodies.

The casting has been politically controversial. Basically casting white people as elites and darker people as slaves. There has been a boycott movement for the film over racist casting.

Last but not least, the casting of John Tuturro as Seti (Egyptian King) was brilliant.

Not impressed with the casting of Moses so much.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Movie release in the news: THE INTERVIEW.

As many know, this is a parody about the leader of North Korea and it's release has inspired terrorist threats on movie theaters showing it.

Well, no worries here, because there will not be any theatrical release of THE INTERVIEW in Thailand or anywhere in Asia!

Given the political situation in Thailand, I expected no release here (or South Korea or China) but am surprised about no release at all in Asia.

Edited by Jingthing

As many know, this is a parody about the leader of North Korea and it's release has inspired terrorist threats on movie theaters showing it.

Well, no worries here, because there will not be any theatrical release of THE INTERVIEW in Thailand or anywhere in Asia!

Given the political situation in Thailand, I expected no release here (or South Korea or China) but am surprised about no release at all in Asia.

From what I understand, it's not only in Asia. The planned U.S. release has been cancelled, with no information about when/if the film will eventually be released.

Sophon

From what I understand, it's not only in Asia. The planned U.S. release has been cancelled, with no information about when/if the film will eventually be released.

Sophon

Well, you're right, it's a fluid story now. I like the suggestion of a global free online release by Sony with an optional donation option. But I don't like that this is a cave to North Korean terrorism. It's a blow to free expression in movies in general ... this caving. But OK, not really for this thread ... so sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I just saw "Interstellar", and I have to say, even being a Nolan fan, I though it was very boring, and simply badly written and conceived. I looked at my watch about a hundred times, and, in the last hour I seriously considered just walking out, as the plot got more senseless, and the Hollywood sententious " it's luuurve, yes luuurve!!!' speeches began.

Not only did the big famous actor's appearance make little sense, it seemed like many of the minor characters were underwritten and pointless, appearing out of the blue to do almost nothing but receive plot exposition.

The first 40 minutes or so seemed like it was going to be good: a depiction of a near future earth, brought almost to ruin by environmental disasters, and declining expenditure on scientific investigation in favour of scraping enough food out of the dust bowl landscape.

It then turned into nonsense: with a couple of indecipherable plans to rescue the earth's population (was one of them really that Michael Caine would spend some of the time he devotes to trying to evade UK taxes to 'solve gravity' and thus enable the entire world's population to leave earth in hundreds of rockets constructed out of buildings??????)

The whole thing then turned into a kind of poor quality SyFy TV scenario, with random pseudo-science explanations merely recounted to set up exciting plot points, which are then solved ( yes! so if only we could change the spectrum to near gamma ray intensities we could...YES! and the only way to do that is to shoot as close as we can to that comet without actually hitting it, and then somehow we'll change the spectral intensity! YES, and I can do it, cause I'm an expert pilot!) . Cue 40 mins of special effects, then "so we've changed the spectral intensity, now all we have to do is ! etc etc."

(*None of this is actually in it, but it's the writing style)

It all seemed like arbitrary nonsense, larded with sentimentality. Nolan at least used to be dark- now he ends with "LUUUURVVVE" .

I thought Gravity was really good, human, made sense, was exciting. Interstellar I felt was the opposite.

Apologies to drag up old thread, but...

I just think it's a shame people can't appreciate Interstellar, it's certainly not for everyone. If you can't follow it, I could see where boredom might set in. However, as with Pink Floyd, where not everyone can appreciate the arrangement and depth of timbres on display, not being able to understand a movie might also predicate dislike.

But, even though you couldn't enjoy it, just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's 'badly written' or 'nonsense'. On the contrary, it was brilliantly written and conceived and drew in very clever minds to work through the dynamics. The premise of the movie -- the science behind wormholes, and certainly the mechanics of the black hole sequence -- is sound. Many of the anomalies (to you) are simply relativity at work, which is very real and all-encompassing.

Aside from the fifth dimension bit (not impossible), there was very little, if any, sci-fi in this IMO. If it were penned by lesser others, it would likely be the same dumbed down Hollywood-style tripe that has gone before. Personally, I thought it was Nolan's best work to date by a country-mile; the representation of the black hole (though they would've been burnt to a crisp) was mind-blowing and Zimmer's rifts exquisite.

We're going to see Taken 3....my wife wants to see it as we saw the others....but unlike other movies we see she wants to wait until discount day and that about sums it up....

We did see Hello How Are You I Love You or some Thai movie with a similar title and found it to be a cute amusingly Thai quirky flick....

It's fine to drag up this thread.

It's about current movies in Thailand's cinemas.

Right now, there is NOTHING I want to see there.

But hopefully later.

wink.png

I'm still waiting for Jeepers Creepers 3 and District 9 II.

Additionally, for our friend's quoted reply above; the 'big famous actor's appearance' was quite straightforward. Matt Damon was one of the astronauts sent to check out the planets around the black hole 10 years previous. He simply went a bit doolally tap from being marooned on an inhospitable world. He then rigged the sensors to make it appear that it could harbour life and, thus, others would inevitably follow and he'd seek rescue. When they would find out his ruse, he would kill them and steal their shuttle to try to get back to earth.

It was wishy-washy in bits (but they had to humanise it), I still think Interstellar was a brilliant piece of work and will be talked about for years. I only saw a rubbish cam version of it and it blew me away; it would have been simply orgasmic on the big screen... missed out there!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I just watched MORTDECAI

http://www.sfcinemacity.com/index.php/en/movie-detail/Mortdecai

and even though I wasn't expecting much, I felt like it was less than that.

Yes, I was mildly amused sometimes especially (and pretty much only) by the lead character played by JOHNNY DEPP, but I was pretty much zoned out during significant chunks of the movie, and no regrets either. Basically, I never got hooked or sucked in to the premise. OK, my favorite scenes were the ones set when Mortdecai stays at the hotel in L.A. ... kind of satirical.

A "big" movie that just opened here AMERICAN SNIPER is proving very politically controversial in the U.S. It's being promoted as a "culture wars" type thing, with Fox News right wing types loving it, and liberal Hollywood types hating it. I haven't seen it yet but I can understand the controversy ... snipers in general don't have the best reputation and in a world where the U.S. is so commonly vilified, a big Hollywood movie called AMERICAN SNIPER sounds like a bit of a provocation .... not at the Charlie Hebdo level, but still something.

If people see it in Thailand theaters, I'd be curious to know what kind of reactions you're hearing from the audiences here.

Edited by Jingthing

• 3 months later...

Great ... this thread is still here.

Recently saw BIG GAME at a Thai theater. Still playing in Pattaya.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2088003/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

This is very light entertainment but I definitively enjoyed it. I don't think it really needs to be seen on a big screen over video but the mountain scenery sure was beautiful and more dramatic on the big screen.

I also found it very funny as I saw a subtext in the movie poking good fun at American arrogance.

I didn't notice any kind of unusual in Thailand response in the crowd ...

Child 44. Great thriller.

It got mixed mostly negative reviews but it still sounds quite interesting to me.

It would be interesting to watch that with a crowd of Russians in Thailand.

I had heard the film is banned in Russia and is considered anti-Russian propaganda, unless I'm mistaken.